I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:53:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Round the world on HD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Round the world on HD  (Read 5604 times)
flipperfun

« on: April 21, 2011, 11:37:23 PM »

Hi everyone, just curious, has anyone travelled around the world on HD?  Is it possible?

What is the longest time anyone has been away from their base country?

Just curious!

Have a great Easter

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/Smileys/classic/new_flower.gif
yliebert

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:49:10 AM »

We will be away for 20 days in July.  The biggest headache (and cost) is getting the dialysate to your destinations.  I am trying to contact NXstage in the UK to see if it is less expensive to buy it there than to ship from the US, but they don't answer emails.  I think I will have to call them.  What type of trip are you planning?
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:30:28 PM »

Hi everyone, just curious, has anyone travelled around the world on HD?  Is it possible?

What is the longest time anyone has been away from their base country?

Just curious!

Have a great Easter

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/Smileys/classic/new_flower.gif

I traveled around the world in 1999 - I took 88 days. I met my buddy John in Europe, dialysis in Hilversum, Netherlands and Monte Carlo. Then I met my Mom in Capetown, had a couple treatments and drove to Port Elizabeth and had a couple treatments and then flew to Nelspruit for a couple treatments. From South Africa I flew to Perth (a couple treatments) before meeting my brother in Sydney. Then we traveled North to Noosa and then Cairns. I ended up spending another 5 weeks in Cairns. The last stop was Auckland.

You have to use the Way Back Machine to see an article I wrote about the trip
http://replay.web.archive.org/20080218181745/http://www.globaldialysis.com/billpeckham.asp

the article was published in Nephrology News and Issues. There are other links to early trips on my original website http://www.speakeasy.org/~bpeckham/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:31:42 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
yliebert

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 12:01:58 PM »

I spoke with NXstage and found out that you cannot purchase dialysate out of the US, so you have to ship it to your destinations.  I suppose that if you were planning on being gone for a long time, you would have a person at home ship to you in stages.  We will be gone for 20 days and I even staged that.  I will send 2 nights supply to my pre-cruise hotel in Southampton, a 12 night supply to the cruise ship and a 5 night supply to the post cruise hotel in London.  The good news is that we can still travel.  The bad news is that it is so much more expensive.  Fortunately, my cup is always half full!
YL :2thumbsup;
flipperfun

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 12:14:25 PM »

Wow I loved reading Bills round the world trip.  88 days that's fantastic.  Thank you for the link.

We will be away for 20 days in July.  The biggest headache (and cost) is getting the dialysate to your destinations.  I am trying to contact NXstage in the UK to see if it is less expensive to buy it there than to ship from the US, but they don't answer emails.  I think I will have to call them.  What type of trip are you planning?

Don't know anything about arranging for dialysate to go to destination(s).  Is this usual?  I am from the UK so am unsure of this requirement.  I've only travelled once since starting HD and that was to Lake Garda in Italy.  The only thing I had to take with me was my small dialysers.  Where are you cruising to?  How exciting is that.  We have wonderful weather at the moment in the UK, and I hope you have a good time in London post cruise.  Sorry to hear about the extra expense.

At the moment it is a virtual, in my head trip, and was curious to know if it was possible in reality.  I would like to try???? flying out of the UK to Hong Kong, then onto Singapore, from there fly to Sydney, perhaps ???? take a trip to New Zealand, then round the globe to Hawaii, spend some time in Seattle with my nephew before heading back to London.  At the moment it is just a dream. 

Who knows what is around the corner. 

Thanks for the replies

Denise

yliebert

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »

I just found out that the NXstage UK affiliate, Kimal, will arrange for supplies within the UK.  Yeah!!! :yahoo;
Yoletta
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 09:17:32 PM »

Bill 88 days!!! How cool is that!! Way to go!! What an encouragement all of you are and a living testiment that there is life with dialysis!!!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
noahvale
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 08:20:22 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:49:16 AM by noahvale » Logged
poncho

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »

I've dialyzed in about 15 different countries. My suggestion is to create password protected Internet site with all your medical information and medical history, labs, stays, wigs, doctors notes, prescriptions, etc. As well as insurance and ID info.

Then you can just send the link to e center you want to dialyzed at. In an emergency, doctors or dialysis centers will have ready access to your info. there is not need to spend all the time back and forth with your center/doctor. And if you need dialysis someplace, if they have a slot, hey really only need a days advance notice caus all the info is there.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »