I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:59:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  EPO in a refrigerated container
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EPO in a refrigerated container  (Read 6471 times)
flipperfun

« on: May 12, 2011, 07:04:03 AM »

Hi everyone, I have been advised  I need to take my EPO with me in a refrigerated container when I go on holiday.   Does anyone know where I can get such a container.  I've heard of gel packs for insulin, is this the same for EPO?

Any advice would be useful.  Thank you
Jie

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »

Pharmacies usually use a thick envelop that some ice in plastic bags are inserted inside the envelop to mail the EPO. It can last about 2 weeks.
greg10

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 12:11:25 PM »

Hi everyone, I have been advised  I need to take my EPO with me in a refrigerated container when I go on holiday.   Does anyone know where I can get such a container.  I've heard of gel packs for insulin, is this the same for EPO?

FRIO cooling pouch activated by water through evaporative cooling.
http://www.amazon.com/FRIO-Insulin-Cooling-Carrying-Wallet/dp/B0002262DA

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:02:41 PM »

You don't need to overthink this too much.  Any kind of a lunch cooler will do.  Get a solid freezie pack like you'd use to keep lunches cold and stuff it in the cooler.  When it starts to melt, use ice from where ever you are vacationing to replenish it.  Just don't put the epo directly on the ice pack, since it shouldn't be frozen.

I always traveled with my insulin and epo in the same cooler I used for snacks and drinks.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Willis

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 07:40:21 AM »

Maybe you can find something here to give you some ideas:

http://www.compactappliance.com/12-Volt-Travel-Coolers/Outdoor_Living-Travel_Coolers,default,sc.html?view=grid

flipperfun

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 12:23:18 AM »

Thank you for those very helpful suggestions.

Have a great day everyone.
Stever

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 08:42:19 AM »

Hi,
We did a cruise with Costa last year and needed to take EPO with us, travelling from Heathrow to Nice to Savona.
I bought a gel cooled pouch from Boots and it was ideal. As I recall , you initially immerese it in water to activate the gel and then enclose your medication. We paid circa £12, expensive, but worth it.
poncho

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 01:38:59 PM »

aranesp will last a week non refrigerated. micera a whole month. if you're on epogen or procrit you're out of luck.

The problem is getting the gel pack or icepack through airport security. Also, airline usually will not let you put the epo in their onbard fridges.

What I did (before switching to Mircera) was to get a soft pack cooler and a waterproof bag filled with ice and the epo. Just before security, I dump the ice and just after I find a restaurant and ask them to fill it back up with ice for the trip. i used this technique during a 2 month round the world trip.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »