I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 10:29:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Visit with my primary care doc...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Visit with my primary care doc...  (Read 2162 times)
Jess21

« on: April 20, 2011, 12:58:04 AM »

So a few weeks ago I went to my PC doc for the first time since my transplant (yes I know it should've been earlier.)
Let me go back a bit.  I get this letter and prescription from my transplant clinic saying my vitamin D is VERY low and I need to take this med once a month.  It wasn't.  I had my lab results right there!!!
Then a few weeks later I get this call from my PC office.  They say they have this letter from my transplant office and they need to see me for an appointment.  I told the woman I didn't had my schedule and I had to call her back.  Hung up and called my TC immediately.  She calls me back saying I need to go see him for a follow up.  I asked what for.  She said a follow up just in case I'm having problems.  I explain i'm NOT.  She says it's for in case I ever get sick in the middle of the week or I have issues or I break a bone or something I can go see him and I'm definetly a patient of his.  Ummm. OK.  I called my PC office back and schedule an appt.  Another person takes my call and goes "OK, so a follow up appointment for your diabetes?"  I NEVER have had diabetes, so no.  Got that figured out.  The appointment ends up getting changed once by them and by me too.  They wanted me to come in the middle of the day.  My PC doc is always running behind, I'm NOT going to sit in a waiting room and get sick. No sir.  :Kit n Stik;
So I eventually go in, go right in (wow, immunsuppressed has its perks!  :rofl; ) and get my BP taken.  90 as a top number. OK, maybe I should've have taken meds an hour before coming in.  He comes in and after a few minutes starts talking about he talked to my neph.  He looks at his notes saying I was on Prilosec.  I have to explain my morning meds combo was getting me sick to my stomach, so the neph prescribed that to take.  It works awesome.  He then starts saying I'm not supposed to be on that long term cause it's a calcium sucker.  He then asks if I go off of it do I think I'll not feel good again (YESSSSSSS.  My meds haven't changed!!!!).  He puts me on a every other day for a month then off it prescription, saying if I feel bad again call him and he'll prescribe something else (after asking if there's anything that may be negotiable for taking on my morning meds.  hahaa. i wish).
Of course I'm half way thru this "every other day" rotine and already feeling like  :puke; in the morning.  My mom says to give it a fair chance.  I can't wait til I'm back on it or the equivalent...  :stressed;
He then says he saw and the neph mentioned my glucose was high right after surgery, and that that's perfectly normal.  He then says my neph wants him to check my glucose.  OK.  I get pricked and the nurse goes to do it there.  My doc made me stay until the results come back, which took 2 times.  hmm. Wonder what he'd done if the results were off.  I guess that makes sense why they said a follow up for my diabetes...

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 02:32:17 AM »

Sounds like the ol' right hand can't talk to the other besides that the PC sounds like an idiot. Both my pc's (one local and one at Northwestern) will not change my meds that another doctor above them unless they talk to them or that that med is making me  sick. Can you ask your neph for a reccommendation for a new PC?

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 03:47:24 AM »

I am dreading this very same issue...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 06:17:15 PM by Sax-O-Trix » Logged

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 04:31:38 AM »

Sax that is what I did when I didn't have a local GP due to doctor moving to a different city. Then as I kept getting sick off and on an going to the local hospital did my local neph refer me to a good GP. However I am not the only tx patient in their practice, but they do not prescribe meds until they talk to my neph, research the med, or call my tx center. Somehow I got lucky after all these years of bad doctors. Good Luck Sax

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 06:16:40 PM »

Sounds like the ol' right hand can't talk to the other besides that the PC sounds like an idiot. Both my pc's (one local and one at Northwestern) will not change my meds that another doctor above them unless they talk to them or that that med is making me  sick. Can you ask your neph for a reccommendation for a new PC?
I had a more elegant solution.

I just chose my dialysis neph to be my primary care physician too.

That way, I've got a primary care physician who knows all about kidney disease.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »

My neph's would not alowme to do that though, but if you can that is an option to take Jess

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010