I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 05:17:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  something is in the air!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: something is in the air!  (Read 1653 times)
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« on: April 18, 2011, 05:11:24 AM »

I'm just feeling really hopeful right now!  I've been on dialysis for 3 and a half years and on the transplant waiting list for 3 years.  Over that time I've had a number of people talk about wanting to donate a kidney to me and several actually call the transplant center.  I've had one friend go all the way through the process but she backed out in the end.  BUT, now things feel so right.

Right now I have two relatives (a nephew and a niece-in-law), a former student, a childhood friend, one of my husband's co-Boy Scout leaders, and one of my husband's co-workers whose daughter was an altruistic kidney donor years ago ALL calling the transplant center and seeking information about donating a kidney to me all at the same time.  Makes me REALLY hopeful!

Other things are falling into place, too.  Like my finding THIS site.  It give me so much information and hope!  I was never really sure I could handle getting a kidney from someone else, but after hearing your stories, now I'm READY!  I was feeling so comfortable with my PD that I questioned weather I wanted to risk transplant, but they made me switch machines and now I have NO attachment to my new machine.  Because of the switch, I feel much less "loyal" to my PD team, as I've realized that MY wishes are not as important as the $$$$ bottom line.  I know that sounds cold, but it's true and I was kind of feeling tied to these nurse and staff - how silly is THAT!  Not any more!!!!!

So, you see, the stars seem to be lining up......   I'm REALLY ready to get a new life!!!!! :flower; :flower; :flower;

Don't worry, if they are serious and not a match for me I will encourage them to be altruistic donors for others!!!!!
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 05:22:44 AM »

I can really relate your post where you say you were 'so comfortable' with your PD. Me too. So much so that when the call came through for me I asked hubby if I really wanted a kidney! Imagine his response. It was definitely in the affirmative. People have been asking me do I miss dialysis - I don't think I will notice the difference til I get back home as this post transplant time is so surreal. I keep discovering things that will change - I got very excited to think that now when the grandies visit I can stay up late with the daughters and then get up early with the granddaughters. Now that will be an improvement. Positive vibes help immensely. Wishing you the luck I have had.  :grouphug;

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:46:14 AM »

Awww, that's brilliant WishIKnew.  It's lovely when things are so positive and hopeful.

*huggles*

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:12:31 AM »

I wish I had people coming out of the woodwork like that for me.  I think the people around me that could be donors think that since I've been on dialysis for 7 years that I should be getting to the top of the list.  What they don't realize is that there is no top of the list.  My mom is the only one who's actually done anything, and she's not a match.  She was tested specifically for the Paired Donor Exchange Program.  The other day, my dad asked me to ask her not to do it, because he thinks it will be too hard on her.  He wont ask her, because she'd probably laugh in his face.  Why should I ask her not to?  If she's not able to handle it, medically, she won't be allowed to donate anyway.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 03:20:55 PM »

so happy for you Diane!!!

Riki can't believe your dad would ask you that! how hurtful! thinking of you friend!!!!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »