I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 07:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  high phos & pot levels
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: high phos & pot levels  (Read 2131 times)
TexanSummer

« on: April 15, 2011, 02:16:25 PM »

I'm not sure what to do or where to look....hubby just called me & said he got his blood work back....phos & potasium are both high...they upped his binders to 3 pills 3X a day & are considering upping his D to 5 hrs from 4hrs...his high blood pressure had gotten under control & they took him off the BP meds, but now they are worried about his BP dropping low during D....I don't have the numbers with me, but I will post them when I get them in hand...in about an hour or two....just wanting some feed back in the meantime. We watch his diet VERY closely & his fluid intake/output as well. His memory has been lapsing more over the last week....I'm trying not to freak out....it's not working!!!!

Wife of Charles --
   diagnosed with psoriasis in 2000?
   no diagnosed kidney issues until 3 weeks ago
   diagnosed with ESRD 2/24/11
   found out birth defect of kidney valve was cause 2/28/11
   started dialysis  3/1/11
   I still have a level head....most of the time
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 02:28:21 PM »

Binders and increasing his dialysis time should help a lot.  Have you talked to a dietician?

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »

I'm not sure what to do or where to look....hubby just called me & said he got his blood work back....phos & potasium are both high...We watch his diet VERY closely & his fluid intake/output as well. His memory has been lapsing more over the last week....I'm trying not to freak out....it's not working!!!!
What's your husband's PTH level?

High PTH will cause loss of both calcium and phosphorus from the bones.  And that phosphorus will end up in the bloodstream.  He's going to have difficulty balancing his blood electrolytes until his PTH goes below 300.

Is your husband on ACE inhibitors for high blood pressure? Those can raise blood potassium levels.

If there is no medical cause for the high potassium and phosphorus levels, then it must come back to diet.  That extra phosphorus in the blood has to be coming from somewhere.

It may sound drastic, but this may be a time for your husband to try a semi-vegan diet.  Just stop all dairy products and cut intake of animal protein.  That's how I've always eaten.  I'm not a vegan, I'll have some chicken or fish every day--but the bulk of what I eat is vegetables.  And on dialysis, I never had a problem controlling my phosphorus level.

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »

I'm not sure what to do or where to look....hubby just called me & said he got his blood work back....phos & potasium are both high...they upped his binders to 3 pills 3X a day & are considering upping his D to 5 hrs from 4hrs...his high blood pressure had gotten under control & they took him off the BP meds, but now they are worried about his BP dropping low during D....I don't have the numbers with me, but I will post them when I get them in hand...in about an hour or two....just wanting some feed back in the meantime. We watch his diet VERY closely & his fluid intake/output as well. His memory has been lapsing more over the last week....I'm trying not to freak out....it's not working!!!!

As del wrote more binders and more time on hemodialysis will most likely help.

Some meals, such as dinner, may need 4 binders whereas breakfast may need only two.
It depends on the portion size and amount of phosphorus of each meal.

Which binder does he use?

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
TexanSummer

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 05:45:43 PM »

PTH - 1353.4
Phos - 8.1
Pot - 4.7
Albumin - 3.9
Calcium - 6.6
URR - 59%

binder is Calcium Acetate
not sure why they said his potassium was high....maybe he just misunderstood them...his memory is kinda coming & going sometimes.
no BP meds at this time & he hasn't taken any for about 3 weeks now. He eats mostly veggies...maybe a porkchop, chicken, or the occasional piece of beef....but more veggies than anything, fresh....steamed, boiled, etc....no canned & sometimes frozen....we're too worried/scared to stray from the "diet" too much. He will have a piece of cheese or no more than 4 oz of milk every other day...no sodas, mostly water or fresh juice (grape, apple, etc). We watch the fluid intake carefully too...but the last few days of D, they've taken between 2.5-4.5L. He goes in for every D appt & stays the full 4 hrs like clock work....

Wife of Charles --
   diagnosed with psoriasis in 2000?
   no diagnosed kidney issues until 3 weeks ago
   diagnosed with ESRD 2/24/11
   found out birth defect of kidney valve was cause 2/28/11
   started dialysis  3/1/11
   I still have a level head....most of the time
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »