I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 03:15:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Phosphorus
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Phosphorus  (Read 5818 times)
carson

« on: April 11, 2011, 10:11:58 AM »

I know most dialysis patients have to watch their calcium/phosphorus levels but I seem to have an unusual problem. I do nocturnal home hemo, 7 days/wk, 7-7.5 hrs/night.
My phosphorus is too low and I can't seem to get it higher. I eat nuts, chocolate, cheese, dairy, diet coke, whole grains but no luck. My nurse said it's the reason I'm so tired. Any advice will be appreciated.
Lisa

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
Jie

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »

There are phosphorus supplements available and a lot of transplant patients have low phosphorus levers and need to take supplements.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 10:56:08 AM »

My levels are on the  higher side. I sure wish I could eat those foods you mentioned. :(

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
greg10

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 11:28:39 AM »

I know most dialysis patients have to watch their calcium/phosphorus levels but I seem to have an unusual problem. I do nocturnal home hemo, 7 days/wk, 7-7.5 hrs/night...
May I ask why you are doing "so much", I know that term is relative, dialysis?
Your HDP (Hemodialysis product), based on Scribner and Oreopoulos, is 7 x (7)^2 or 7*7*7 = 343, which is higher than anyone I know and you don't look like you weight very much.  HDP of 343 is kind of in an uncharted territory, at least based on the data in 2004.

Compared to someone doing thrice weekly in-center, their HDP = 3*3*3 = 27.

The Hemodialysis Product
Based on published evidence from many sources, we propose a new index of adequacy of hemodialysis, to be called the
Hemodialysis Product (HDP). This new index incorporates dialysis frequency, which is an important variable:

HDP = (hrs/dialysis session) x (sessions/wk)^2
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:35:03 AM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:52:11 AM »

HDP of 343 is kind of in an uncharted territory, at least based on the data in 2004.

greg10 makes a good point.

Plus with all that hemodialysis you may need other additional micronutrients, protein and calories than a typical person on dialysis.

8)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:53:17 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »

I know most dialysis patients have to watch their calcium/phosphorus levels but I seem to have an unusual problem. I do nocturnal home hemo, 7 days/wk, 7-7.5 hrs/night.
My phosphorus is too low and I can't seem to get it higher.
I dunno.

Even if you're dialyzing that much, with the type of foods you're eating your phosphate level shouldn't be low.  Especially Diet Coke, whose phosphorus bioavailability is very high.

Is your PTH under good control?  High PTH and inadequate vitamin D can cause both calcium and phosphorus to leach out of the bones.  What was your last PTH reading?

You're not consuming anything that has aluminum in it (like some liquid antacids), are you?  Or using antiperspirants that contain aluminum chlorhydrate on broken skin?  Dialysis doesn't remove aluminum, and aluminum toxicity can cause phosphorus deficiency.
carson

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 08:38:32 PM »

Okay, why do I dialyse so much?
Initially I was told to do 3 days on, 1 day off approx 8 hrs/night. I found I couldn't sleep without the noise of the Formula machine running, and it was also affecting my husband's sleep. I also felt almost addicted to dialysis...crazy, I know. So that's why I do it so much. The dialysis nurse has asked me to cut back as I'm becoming slightly malnourished despite my high protein, high phosphorus, and very good diet.
My PTH is good (can't remember what my last reading was but it was "normal") but I take 30 mg Sensipar daily. I also take Rocaltrol once/week. It's a vitamin D concentrate. And, Replatvite which is a renal vitamin.
AND I add phosphate to my dialysis each night.

I guess my concern is the effect low phosphorus will have on my body over time. I try to stay as healthy as I can but this is new to me after 14 yrs on dialysis.
I appreciate all your input!
Thank you!!

carson

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 08:41:48 PM »

Rightside, while I don't use any aluminum products I find what you mentioned about it very interesting! I don't even use aluminum pots or pans...but I'm wondering if I should maybe have my aluminum levels checked. I remember when I was on PD there was a problem with the dialysate containing aluminum and it was recalled.
thanks for this!

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 08:56:45 PM »

Cut back to 3 days on and 1 day off.  Get a FISH TANK for your room for noise.  HOLY CRAP you are going to dialyze all the good stuff out too. 

Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 08:11:59 AM »

Cut back to 3 days on and 1 day off.  Get a FISH TANK for your room for noise.  HOLY CRAP you are going to dialyze all the good stuff out too.

Or, get a computer, put two recording mikes either side of your machine and record onto the computer about 30 seconds of the machine sound. Connect the computer to some hi-fi speakers and set it for loop playback all night. Anything instead of all that dialysis.

Ken
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 09:15:46 AM »

I say make that day-off on Saturday evening and then you and your husband go out and party!
Return at 4 am and both of you will sleep through the morning.

:beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
calypso

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 07:42:19 PM »

May I ask why you are doing "so much", I know that term is relative, dialysis?
Your HDP (Hemodialysis product), based on Scribner and Oreopoulos, is 7 x (7)^2 or 7*7*7 = 343, which is higher than anyone I know and you don't look like you weight very much.  HDP of 343 is kind of in an uncharted territory, at least based on the data in 2004.

The Hemodialysis Product
Based on published evidence from many sources, we propose a new index of adequacy of hemodialysis, to be called the
Hemodialysis Product (HDP). This new index incorporates dialysis frequency, which is an important variable:

HDP = (hrs/dialysis session) x (sessions/wk)^2

First of all to the OP, your question about low phosphorous went unanswered. I believe low phosphorous may be just as harmful as high phosphorous so I would not take this lightly and try to get it normalized as soon as possible. Don't just ignore it thinking if high phos is bad low must be good.

Also, I almost forgot, there are different dialyzers you can use. Has your unit informed you of this? For example, at my unit if you are doing 4 hours of dialysis per session (daytime, during training) we use a different dialyzer than when you're on for 6-8 hours at night at home. Reason being the dialyzer we use for longer duration dialysis is gentler at removing toxins than the 4 hour short session more aggressive type. The length of the dialyzer is different affecting how long the dialysate is counter flowing against the blood removing the toxins (and fluid). There are several kinds of dialyzers and even different brands you can try, with your units approval of course. You might want to ask them about it.

Greg10 HDP sounds interesting but I don't see how it takes blood pump speed into consideration. At my unit we look at total blood volume processed, which the Fresenius machine calculates for you. For example if I have a blood pump speed of 300 (ml per minute) for 6 hours that would be 0.3 (liters per minute) x 60 (minutes per hour) x 6 (hours per night)= 108 liters of blood processed (run through the dialyzer). Mutliply that by 6 nights (standard for my nocturnal home hemo unit) that would be 648 liters of blood processed a week.

Compare that to a patient in a standard thrice weekly dialysis unit let's say they do the usual 3 and a half hours per session with a blood pump speed of 400, that would be 0.4 (liters per minute) x 60 (minutes per hour) x 3.5 (hours per session)= 84 liters of blood processed multiply by 3 days a week and that is 252 liters of blood processed per week. Also that 400 pump speed can't be as good for the fistula as 300. but they are trying to cram it all in small time slots. Understandable, just not ideal...or even adequate in my opinion, but thats going off topic, so I'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:10:48 PM by calypso » Logged

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
greg10

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »

Greg10 HDP sounds interesting but I don't see how it takes blood pump speed into consideration. ..
Correct.  You can say that the late Dr. Belding Scribner wrote the book on adequacy of dialysis and HDP is a good but not perfect indicator, for example it does not take blood flow into account and it doesn't take into account patient weight as well.  However, it is still a very good indicator of adequacy of dialysis and some may say it is better than kt/V currently being used.

Good interview with Dr. Scribner.
http://www.laskerfoundation.org/awards/2002_c_interview_scribner.htm

BTW, Calypso, good job on getting home dialysis going with your Fresenius baby K.  Make sure you don't hook up the water lines incorrectly as it happened to this poor lady:

Catastrophic hypercalcemia as a technical complication in home hemodialysis
http://ndtplus.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2011/04/11/ndtplus.sfr051.abstract
Abstract

Life-threatening hypercalcemia in dialysis patients is very unusual. We present a case where life-threatening hypercalcemia in a home hemodialysis patient resulted from a technical mistake. A 46-year-old woman, on home nocturnal hemodialysis, presented to the emergency room with history of altered sensorium, vomiting and sweating, which started 1 h after initiation of dialysis the previous night. Serum calcium was 6.5 mmol/L. She improved with 10 h of low-calcium hemodialysis. Investigation revealed that the drain port of the reverse osmosis machine was connected to the dialysis machine and the product water was connected to the drain leading to acute hypercalcemia.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
calypso

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 08:17:02 PM »

Investigation revealed that the drain port of the reverse osmosis machine was connected to the dialysis machine and the product water was connected to the drain leading to acute hypercalcemia.

Yikes! My unit sends techs to the house to bring the machine in and connect everything. They test the water before and after the RO to make sure it's cleaning properly. But your point is well taken, and appreciated. Anyone can make a mistake and it pays to double check what the techs do to make sure they got it right. Thanks for that heads up!  :thx;

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »