I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Can Dialysis treat Gout?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can Dialysis treat Gout?  (Read 8402 times)
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« on: April 07, 2011, 04:25:37 PM »

I am still pre-D, last known GFR is 13, Creat 4.2.  I will be getting my fistula placed on April 18th.  My neph wanted to start me on D last month, and I said no.  I feel fine, for the most part.  Except for one thing...

I had the gout attack from HELL Sunday night/Monday.  Attacked both of my knees.  Made it difficult to do just about *anything*, including sitting on the couch.  Going to the bathroom became a whole new kind of hell, just because it requires sitting down and then getting back up again. I was put on a round of prednisone that tapers off from 30mg.  I am in the middle of that now.  My knees are threatening me again, and I hope to hell it won't come back.  Can D help treat this??? If this becomes the norm in my life, I will seriously consider going on D, via a cath, before my fistula matures.  I also take 100mg of allupurinol a day, but maybe that isn't working???

I want a new body!!!!

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 03:30:46 PM »

I had gout pre D but no attacks once I started on D.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:21:53 PM »

Oh lord...gout.  It really is hellish.  I had several goutbouts before I even realized my kidney function was so bad.  I eventually was put on 100mg of allopurinol and didn't have another attack, but my uric acid level increased over time, so the dosage was increased to 200mg daily.  Would a higher dose be effective for you, do you think?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 01:10:22 AM »

I had gout in my foot and next in my knee (very painful) but I'm happy to say that when I went on dialysis it disappeared.
cath-hater

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:40:37 PM »

I used to get gout on my big toe pre D, but nothing post D.

Currently on PD using Fresenius.
PD for 9 years.
1 failed transplant in 2010 due to FSGS - donor kidney still inside and still producing urine (weird), but spilling alot of protein.
Off all immunosuppressants.
Currently not active on any list (by choice).
malaka

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 10:52:28 AM »

Last weekend was hell as my right ankle was swollen, hot and very painful. Made run to doc's office (after buying a cane) on Monday who saw 4+ pitting edema in leg and decided that despite normal uric acid levels from a week before that I had gout of the ankle. Who knew gout could strike the ankle and leave the toe join alone?

Anyway, a short course of corticosteroids ended the pain and swelling literally overnight.  He did say that if I were on dialysis, it would be unlikely that I'd suffer gout again. 

Steroids aren't my favorite med as I'd been on them before regularly along with an anti-rejection drug that turned nephrotoxic. I ended up looking more liike the Pillsbury Doughboy than some WWF superstar, of course.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »