I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:48:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medicare/Insurance
| | |-+  how will government shutdown affect us?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how will government shutdown affect us?  (Read 5815 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: April 07, 2011, 04:05:31 PM »

Hi all,
I was just wondering with a possible government shutdown, how will this affect us dialysis patients and those of us who are also on SSDI? I haven't seen any discussion or can't find anything health related on this topic.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:34:44 PM »

Current beneficiaries through SS will continue to receive benefits as they are funded outside what is being shut down. It will impact people applying for benefits - either due to age or disability - because no one is processing their applications..

For Medicare it is a little harder to know but the administration has said that payments by Medicare for services rendered should continue unless the shutdown lasts weeks.

The main impact will be felt by those who work for the government - including service members - and their families. Aside from those directly employed it'll impact people trying to visit the Smithsonian (it's spring break for a lot of kids) or destinations like national parks.

And of course future taxpayers as the shut down will likely cost more than the cuts either side is proposing.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Beth35

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:33:14 PM »

Well it's going to screw up my medicare being processed.  Here I have gone without insurance for months.  I finally begin dialysis and qualify for medicare and the girl on the phone said yesterday that my medicare will probably take a lot longer to process b/c they may be shutting down.  AND I am scheduled to have surgery next Thursday.  Grrrr! :banghead;

Found out I had kidney disease when I was 15.
Started dialysis when I was 20.
Got a kidney transplant when I was 25.
Kidney failed at 37 and I began my second journey on dialysis.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »

We had been planning our first post-transplant camping trip for this weekend.

What a trivial thing to be worried about in the grander scheme of things.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 06:24:32 PM »

It boils down to "Essential an Nonessential" workers.  The Farm Service Agency is considered nonessential because no ones life depends on it.  So it will be shut down if this goes that far.  Then they will PAY them for their days off.......

Stupid!

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »

It boils down to "Essential an Nonessential" workers.  The Farm Service Agency is considered nonessential because no ones life depends on it.  So it will be shut down if this goes that far.  Then they will PAY them for their days off.......

Stupid!

That's a good point - the workers will be paid eventually so it isn't as if closing the doors is going to save money. However, the difficulties will be real - many people need next week's pay check to pay this week's bills.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 01:40:31 PM »

It's actually going to cost them more to pay the workers in a lot of places, since they are going to have to pay them overtime to catch up on the back log.

Polls are showing that 58% of Americans don't want the idiots in Washington to shut down the government tonight.  Not that the idiots care - they're the only ones still getting paid.

My thought for when I rule the world...
All highly paid elected positions now come with a new feature - a shock collar.  All politicians are required to post their current decisions (or in this case, refusal to come to a decision) for 24 hours afterward on a website.  Each person who voted in the election, regardless of who they voted for is given a passcode.  Those with a passcode can either call in or post online or from a smart phone a thumbs up or thumbs down within that 24 hour cut off.  If the thumbs down reaches 60%, the politician gets zapped publicly.  Just think how many people would start voting and paying attention to politics.....

Seriously, I'm a bit annoyed listening to the fools blather on about standing on principal when I know several young military moms who are living paycheck to paycheck and trying to juggle kids and their own college courses while their reservist hubbies are stuck in the middle of a desert.  They're going to be standing in the grocery line trying to figure out how to feed their kids with no money while the politicians are waving their flags and their principals around with a fat paycheck in their pockets.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 01:44:25 PM »

Seriously, I'm a bit annoyed listening to the fools blather on about standing on principal when I know several young military moms who are living paycheck to paycheck and trying to juggle kids and their own college courses while their reservist hubbies are stuck in the middle of a desert.  They're going to be standing in the grocery line trying to figure out how to feed their kids with no money while the politicians are waving their flags and their principals around with a fat paycheck in their pockets.

Here here I agree! Washington is a hot mess!!! My heart goes out to soilders' wives....I couldn't do it!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 12:23:15 AM »

yes I had thought about people on dialysis dying (i know a little extreme) because the staff at the centers werent getting paid, so noone was at the centers.

Yes I do

Here here I agree! Washington is a hot mess!!! My heart goes out to soilders' wives....I couldn't do it!

xo,
R

My boyfriend is over in Afghainstan at this very moment and is not happy about this. Imagine being in a war and not getting paid! he is actually stationed in Germany and heard that the grocery store there on base had to close because noone was getting paid.
and now it looks like we are in war with Lybia(sp?). We cant afford these wars!

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »