I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 06:32:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Trade school way off 'course' in teaching students how to run dialysis machines
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trade school way off 'course' in teaching students how to run dialysis machines  (Read 3227 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« on: April 03, 2011, 07:33:16 AM »

Trade school way off 'course' in teaching students how to run dialysis machines & read EKG results
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/04/03/2011-04-03_school_is_way_off_course_no_license_to_teach_med_subjects.html

BY BENJAMIN LESSER   
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, April 3rd 2011, 4:00 AM

A Manhattan trade school is teaching students how to run dialysis machines and read EKG results in courses that were never approved by the state, the Daily News has learned.

In some cases, the state Education Department disapproved Philip Xavier Training Center's request to teach important medical skills, but the school kept teaching them anyway.

The school's former co-owner Karen Galisim told the Daily News the school also has regularly hired unlicensed teachers for those classes. Galisim is concerned that hundreds of Philip Xavier "graduates" may be operating lifesaving dialysis machines or reading EKG results without proper training.

"I didn't want to see people running around hospitals without a proper education," said Galisim, who came forward after reading The News' recent series on troubled trade schools.

Galisim said she brought her concerns to the state Education Department in 2009 but nothing was done. Late Friday, after The News made inquiries, the department announced it was "seriously considering" shutting the school down.

Officials confirmed that Philip Xavier was approved to teach only two courses - for drawing blood and operating-room technician. The school requested approval for courses on EKG reading and four other medical courses, but the state shot them down. The school never even sought approval for its dialysis course.

Last week on its website and in brochures, Philip Xavier was offering courses in dialysis operation, EKG reading and eight other medical areas of study. None of the other courses listed had received state approval either.

The school claims its courses are accredited by the American Society of Medical Technicians. Galisim says she founded the group and that it's not intended to offer accreditation. The U.S. Education Department does not recognize the society as an accrediting group.

"There is a legitimate concern here about what these students are learning in these programs and whether or not they're fit to practice in their fields," said Julie Margetta Morgan, a policy analyst at the Center for American Progress in Washington.

Education Department spokesman Jonathan Burman said "serious issues of noncompliance were uncovered at the school during its school license renewal visit."

The state reviewed Xavier's "policies and procedures, record keeping and required approvals" of courses and teachers.

Burman said Xavier was told the state is "seriously considering disapproval" of its license renewal. Xavier will still get a chance to respond before the state moves to shut it down.

Galisim says in 2007 she told her partner, Pamela De Alday, she was uncomfortable with the school's practice of offering courses that weren't state-approved. Nothing changed, Galisim said, and the school continued to enroll students. Galisim quit in 2007, telling De Alday she "couldn't do this anymore."

In an interview, De Alday said she's "working it out with the Department of Education. We're trying to fix it up. I do not do a crime."

Meanwhile, the school has a second location in upstate Highland Mills - a site the state has not approved.

State officials say they've approved only Philip Xavier's location on E. 19th St. Galisim says Highland Mills has been in operation since 2003.

Last week, a reporter found a Philip Xavier sign still posted at the Highland Mills address.

Galisim says she has tried in vain to get regulators to investigate Philip Xavier. In April 2009, she contacted the state regulatory agency, the Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision.

In email exchanges, Galisim explained what was happening at the school. Carole Yates, a bureau director, wrote in a December 2009 response, "I am most concerned about your school. I will be in touch with you."

Galisim said she never heard from the bureau again.

Galisim also said she contacted the Manhattan district attorney's office in 2009, but was told it was a civil matter. Prosecutors declined to comment.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:38:53 AM »

scarry!!!!!!!!  Its getting harder and harder to 'just' put our faith in the medical community :(   

ps...  oh wait, i'll post seperatly

ps again... just gonna post here..... Guess whats cooken??  Zach's chillie!!!!....yep, it's fillen up my nose with good smells as i type...  Cant wait :-)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:45:35 AM by boswife » Logged

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:02:30 AM »

ps again... just gonna post here..... Guess whats cooken??  Zach's chillie!!!!....yep, it's fillen up my nose with good smells as i type...  Cant wait :-)

I knew there was something making me hungry!
Thanks boswife!

8)

PS:  Sorry I haven't yet posted my lasagna receipt.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »

hehe,,, yep,, im sure it came right through the computer!!  and yep!! get to posten that lasagna!!  ready for that one too :-)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:18:04 PM »

Crazy - I wonder how many graduates are employed without proper training.  :urcrazy;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »