I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 01:43:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Weepy Wednesday
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weepy Wednesday  (Read 6952 times)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« on: March 30, 2011, 09:04:54 AM »

My pussy-cat has been poorly for a couple of days.  She went downhill incredibly quickly throughout today and Mumsy and I took her to the vet.  He said there was nothing he could do to make her better and it would be best to let her go to her new forever home at Rainbow Bridge (okay, he ddn't say that but my paraphrasing sounds lovelier.)

Once he'd injected her she passed on so very quickly.  Poor little creature.  I feel so incredibly guilty (what if I'd taken her to the vet yesterday whilst she was still alert?) and amazingly sad and empty, and even a trifle relieved (she's not suffering anymore.)  The slight relief makes me feel even more guilty. Suffice to say, there have been many tears and my eyes ache.

She never even got to see our new living-room furniture which arrived this morning.  She would have loved snuggling on it.

*sniffle*

Tabatha's death came after a morning where Blokey nearly got forced into a dtch by White Van Man.  Thankfully the car isn't too damaged, and Blokey isn't hurt,  but gosh ...

*sigh*

I love you, Tabatha-cat ♥

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:18:32 AM »

Oh, how terribly sad.  But Poppy, there really is nothing worse than watching a pet that you love so much suffer so much.  I am so very sorry for your loss, but I am grateful that Tabatha had a happy life in a loving home and is no longer ill and in pain. :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:36:29 AM »

Sorry pops

:grouphug;

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 09:53:58 AM »

*Huggles* to you, Poppy.

:grouphug;

Please know that with cats, once they start their downward trend, there isn't much you can do. Don't guilt yourself over not taking her yesterday.

Our furry family are so important. I'm glad that she had a long lovely life with you.  :cuddle;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Yvonne

Yvonne

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »

:grouphug; I am so sorry for your loss, you will miss so much as cat's are such loving creatures.

2007- since January 2007 carer to my husband John who has the following, allways been a very fit man up till then.
2007 - January Renal failure
2007 - March Diagnosed with a Horseshoe kidney and bladder cancer.
2007 - June One kidney, Prostrate and Bladder removed with stage 4 cancer. Urostomy
Brightsky69

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 10:52:45 AM »

Sorry for your loss.  :'(

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 11:32:26 AM »

Sorry for the loss of your cat.  We are big cat people and i know how hard it is to put a pet down.  he had a happy home with you all and in the end that is what we do best for our pets.  Give them love.

I hope once things settle down that maybe you will adopt a little kitty form one of your local shelters.  Or maybe two?  so they have each other when no one is home.
When i go to petco i cant look at the kittnes.  I want to save them all but we already have (five).  We saved them all at various points in there lives.  And they all have there own litle personalities lol......

The pain will pass the memories will last-------------

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »

I'M SO VERY SORRY, POPPY!!!!! :grouphug; FOR YOU!!!!!

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
TexanSummer

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 02:47:17 PM »

I know how sad you are feeling....Charles had to have his cat put to sleep a few years ago after it was attacked by dogs (his own dog ran out of the house later that same night after sensing those dogs near & got into a fight with them & he won...the cat was his buddy too). It was very hard & Charles still has Henry's collar with a little angel cat pin that the vet gave him in his jewelry box. It took about 2 years for Charles (& Boo, the dog) to want another cat. Now we have Nikko....she thinks she's a dog (she was raised by both our dogs)....she growls & barks & will even speak (meow when you meow) for a treat....she'll never replace Henry, but she's a wonderful kitty!

It'll get a little easier with each day, but I'm sure your kitty will be forever in your heart!

Wife of Charles --
   diagnosed with psoriasis in 2000?
   no diagnosed kidney issues until 3 weeks ago
   diagnosed with ESRD 2/24/11
   found out birth defect of kidney valve was cause 2/28/11
   started dialysis  3/1/11
   I still have a level head....most of the time
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 08:06:30 PM »

Oh Poppy! I feel your pain. I lost my 2 old toms within a couple of months of each other recently. It's heart-wrenching.  :cuddle;.

Galvo
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 11:33:29 PM »

*big long huggles* Poppy.

I was worried for your kitty and when I saw the subject my heart sank feeling it would be about her.

She IS in a better place and you got to be with her at the end. I hope you got to hold her while she passed but even if not she knew you loved her so much and did what you could for her... trust me cats KNOW. There she is now, looking down, and meowing.. no not at that juicy bit of fish, but to let you know that it's ok mum, I understand and I love you.  :cuddle; :grouphug; :cuddle; :grouphug; :-*

She will always have a special spot in your and Blokey's hearts and that's how you keep her memory and love alive.

And when the time comes, down the track, maybe you will consider a new furry friend to snuggle in that furniture and keep Tabatha's spot warm.

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 11:38:06 PM »

I am so sorry Poppy.  It is so hard to lose a pet.  :grouphug;
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 02:18:12 AM »

So sorry Poppy. I had to have my wonderful Sam put down 2 years ago. I still miss him. He was a phenomanal guy and I am sure Tabatha was too.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 05:38:11 AM »

Aw Poppy...I'm so sorry about Tabatha.  Sending you big cyber-hugs.   :grouphug;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
carol1987

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 07:26:27 AM »

:cuddle; So sorry....

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 09:35:47 AM »

Many hugs, Poppy! Cats are incredibly stoic and will hide the fact that something is wrong until it has progressed past the point of no return. They are operating on ancient evolutionary information, and it is not your fault that they are wired this way.

It is traumatic losing a fluffy friend. Be extra nice to yourself - Tabatha would want that for you. :cuddle;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 09:40:45 AM »

I'm so sorry for your losses.  Sending you a great big hug and warm fuzzies to get you through this.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 02:52:21 PM »

Awww, so sorry about your fur-baby.   :grouphug;

Now I have to go wake mine up to kiss her....

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 02:18:27 PM »

Thank you, everybody.  All *huggles* (and equivalents) have been gratefully received.  I keep seeing her in her favourite spaces, which is odd.  We do still have Mog ... I suspect he wonders where the meanie who hisses at him has gone.  We're having her cremated and when we get the ashes back we're going to scatter them in her favourite spot in the garden (or near enough ... we can't get under the decking!)

She was a rescue cat and had been a stray before she adopted us at the shelter.  She was such a nervous creature when we first brought her home and seemed to hate men (we suspect she'd been hurt by the males of the human species); I like to think that we gave her a very happy five and a half years with us. 

Again, thank you for all your lovely words. 

natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 06:40:44 PM »

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about this.  I love my cats.  I remember taking an old family cat, Ruben, to the vet to be put down.  He had cancer in major organs, might have been kidney or liver?  Poor old thing, I loved that cat and it was really sad.  I remember he peed on my shirt while I was holding him, and I didn't care.  You never forget your cats.  My plan is always to go get a new one.  I love kittens and there are always so many in the animal shelters hoping for a good life.  Anway, a much belated VALE PUSS to Tabatha-cat.

Didn't I read that you have a new cat in your life now?

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 01:51:33 PM »

Didn't I read that you have a new cat in your life now?
We do.  We have Dora, rescued from the animal shelter too.  She's the complete opposite of Tabatha though.  Very chatty and always getting into places she shouldn't.  She's also incredibly playful (but not a lap-cat - Tabatha wasn't at all playful but was a lap-cat) but when Mog tries to play with her she shrieks at him!  Poor little Mog ... dominated by Tabatha and now dominated by Dora.  He's such a wuss for a boy.

I keep Tabatha's ashes in my bedroom ... I like her being close to me at night.

;D

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 06:19:55 PM »

awww you gals are going to make me cry.

I do think every so often about the day when my Celeste will leave me and that makes me sad because she's such a loyal and loving kitty and has been with me through all my dialysis and now transplant. I love that sit sits on me when I'm in bed and just stares into me - a real cat scan - and somehow I feel better for it like her quiet purring (she purrs on the inside0 is helping me. I do know rescuing her from the shelter was the best decision I made in the last decade and she's been my best mate through it all - way more loyal (and forgiving!) than girlfriends!  :rofl; Anyway I know that time will come, and I just want it to be peaceful for her.

Anyway recently I was thinking to myself could I ever get another cat after her. Not to replace her - because that would be impossible - every cat personality is different and you can't "replace" a living soul like you change a battery. Right now I don't think I could get another cat. Somehow I feel she will be my one and only. However who knows how I will feel as time goes on.

Hopefully she will be with me for years yet (I think she's about 10, but am not totally sure - I have had her for 7 and a half years nearly).

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 06:24:55 PM »

I'm so sorry for your loss   :grouphug;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 12:03:34 PM »

Anyway recently I was thinking to myself could I ever get another cat after her. Not to replace her - because that would be impossible - every cat personality is different and you can't "replace" a living soul like you change a battery. Right now I don't think I could get another cat. Somehow I feel she will be my one and only. However who knows how I will feel as time goes on.

You don't ever replace a cat.  You simply fill the cat-shaped holes in the house that are left behind when there isn't one living there any more. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 12:15:49 PM »

Anyway recently I was thinking to myself could I ever get another cat after her. Not to replace her - because that would be impossible - every cat personality is different and you can't "replace" a living soul like you change a battery.
I love their little personalities, and all their quirks and idiosyncrasies which make them unique.  Mog has a (cat) friend over the road and they go exploring together and come home at about midnight.  I'd love to know where they go and what adventures they have.  He has special Mummy & Me time every morning in the bathroom.  Dora just talks constantly (honestly, she's a gossip,) even in her sleep which is rather amusing.  She follows me around the house chattering away.  I wish I knew what she was saying.  I do talk back to her and what I say seems to please her, so ... Tabatha was quiet and incredibly loving.  I miss her loving nature and I'm not convinced the other two will ever be as clingy/loving as she was.  But they're just as scrummy in their own individual ways.

I think we only waited six weeks before being chosen by Dora.  We didn't go to the animal shelter with the intention of letting ourselves get chosen, but once we had been chosen we couldn't really tell Dora to get lost!  She hasn't replaced Tabatha (although sometimes I do feel a tad guilty for there being such a short space of time between Tabatha going off to frolic at Rainbow Bridge and Dora finding her niche in the house) simply because you're right; nothing can replace another living being.  She's just another member of our little family.

;D

You don't ever replace a cat.  You simply fill the cat-shaped holes in the house that are left behind when there isn't one living there any more. 
Awww, I love that!  It's so true.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »