I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 08:25:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  drinking
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: drinking  (Read 20849 times)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 03:56:41 AM »

What I do is not drink a whole can or bottle of water/soda/whatever at once. I might open it, take a few sips, then put it in the fridge then come back to it later. This can stretch say 350ml over a few hours.

I also keep a rough count in my head of how much I have had and try to pace through the day....

I also use my scales as almost a religion at times... so I can keep myself on target before the next session, or close to anyway.

That is what I do as well!  :thumbup; I keep my drink in the fridge to help stretch it out over the whole day!

I also stand on the scale to see how much I can still have lol :P

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
renal30yrs

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 04:01:29 AM »

Sauna should probably help.  You are likely lose good 2 - 3 kilos of body fluid after a good session.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 09:29:05 AM »

Sauna should probably help.  You are likely lose good 2 - 3 kilos of body fluid after a good session.

And of course exercise helps lose some water weight, too.     ;)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2007, 06:53:06 AM »

Re: Sauna.. yes... one other patient in my unit went in the sauna and he was normally 5+ over and after the sauna came in 1.5 over :) lol... that really worked for him...

it is summer here so some warm days and sweating also help... even though it is a bit icky...

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 12:34:39 PM »

This topic is of highest importance to me.  I have been having a great deal of problems maintaining my liquid limit.  This last week has been good.  I went it at 2.4, 1.4, 2.4.  My greatest problem is weekends.  I normally go in about 4 kg on Mondays.
There are two things that work for me:
Chewing gum
Buying the same juices for me that we put in my grandson's lunch box - Motts or Juicy Juice - 4 oz. boxes.  If I drink one of those, I usually am satisfied.  However, if I have a larger bottle or box available, I will drink the entire thing, even though guilt is killing me!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2007, 01:05:56 PM »

What about sucking on Freezies?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2007, 04:03:08 PM »

Unfortunately anyhting frozen turns into water weight gain when it hits your system. Jello, ice cubes, freezies, popsicles all turn to water after you eat it.  That is why they count toward the water gain and not food prep gain when you calculate how much you have had in fluid.  Include water from lettuce, soups and ices in your calculations also. That is why you may be water heavy. You are not calculating everything into the water weigh in.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2007, 09:53:29 PM »

Unfortunately anyhting frozen turns into water weight gain when it hits your system. Jello, ice cubes, freezies, popsicles all turn to water after you eat it.  That is why they count toward the water gain and not food prep gain when you calculate how much you have had in fluid.  Include water from lettuce, soups and ices in your calculations also. That is why you may be water heavy. You are not calculating everything into the water weigh in.
Actually I know this .. but I meant that it is better than a glass of something and because it is frozen it is like the ice in dialysis. You don't go through it as fast. yet it wets your throat.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 07:14:42 PM »

I have banned all "other" forms of liquid in my diet... like ice cream, custard, soup etc...

and yes, I also get the smallest containers of whatever I want to drink... which is economic suicide given how much more expensive/ml they are, but like the others if I had a bigger bottle or can of something it would be too tempting to drink the whole thing.

my goal for today is to only drink a 300ml bottle of water while at work....

*fingers crossed for me* must... appply.... willpower!

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 10:40:11 PM »

I have banned all "other" forms of liquid in my diet... like ice cream, custard, soup etc...

and yes, I also get the smallest containers of whatever I want to drink... which is economic suicide given how much more expensive/ml they are, but like the others if I had a bigger bottle or can of something it would be too tempting to drink the whole thing.

I agree! I have not touched soup since 2005 and I don't have ice cream! I find somethings however (like ice and freezies) help me not drink. I do what you do with drinks though. My cab driver suggested I get a 2L bottle of a drink I like and I explained to him how I drink so little that that bottle would be opened so many times it would be FLAT! I like smaller bottles as I find it helps me keep my drinks at a limit. If I have a very small bottle (I am allowed 1 milk per day so I have found this 6 pack of 200ml bottles of milk) then I find it easier on me. ;)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2007, 10:46:06 PM »

I find it really easy not to drink at work, I found I'm too busy, but the problems are when I'm at home and bored and the fridge is about 5 steps from the computer ........

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
renal30yrs

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 12:09:23 AM »

On weekends I try to stick to mainly "dry" foods.  Makes a huge difference. 
Panda_9

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 04:09:12 AM »

If I eat alot of dry foods it just makes me more thirsty. There is going to be a study commenced here on lowering the sodium in the dialysate. I hope I get selected, would be good if it worked.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2007, 10:57:26 PM »

Ah Tamara, that's where I'm going wrong... I am mostly bored at work so surf the net most of the day... (yes I'm at work now).

Still, I seem to be keeping my fluids within acceptable norms... only put on 2.2 over the last weekend which is pretty good for 3 days I reckon :)

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2007, 02:14:16 AM »

I had to take off 4.1kg on Monday :( Opps! I really have to implement your suggestions here ;)  :thx;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2007, 04:00:43 AM »

For me it comes down to willpower. As others have said it's not like you really NEED the liquid.. but I just love the feeling so much of it going down my throat :( so even the "swishing cold water in mouth" trick is not very satisfying to me....

but really the thought of cramp or crash is what really motivates me... and since I had a really bad one about 2 weeks ago I have been extra motivated (so ok, I am a wuss!).

The home scales are my worst enemy since they control my life, but then again I also feel more in control of it when I know I have reached my own pre set limit...

just have to say to myself "no no no" and think about the pain when I think "I really want that soda/coffee/mocha/juice/water..."

good luck...

BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2007, 08:50:22 AM »

My cab driver suggested I get a 2L bottle of a drink I like and I explained to him how I drink so little that that bottle would be opened so many times it would be FLAT!

Maybe that would be good.  If it is flat you might tend to drink less of it. ;)
Triker

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2007, 07:48:09 AM »

I need to try some of the suggestions. I have a very tuff time with fluids. My schedule is for mon, tues, weds, & friday. I'm scheduled for tues. because I always go over through the weekends. Occasionally, I have to go 5 times a week, when I mess up. I would prefer to have my free time, but I want to LIVE too. I mean by that, if I can't have somewhat of a normal life, I don't care to simply stay alive. As Angie stated, PD is much more forgiving with fluid restrictions, but it became too labor, and time intensive for me. I got to the point that I was spending over half my life, simply staying alive, and went back to hemo.  I never have a problem with crashing, and I feel fine. I'm like you, in thinking there has to be a better way. Perhaps, in time, there will be one. I wonder if there is a place in town where I can use a sauna?
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2007, 01:12:23 PM »

As Angie stated, PD is much more forgiving with fluid restrictions, but it became too labor, and time intensive for me. I got to the point that I was spending over half my life, simply staying alive, and went back to hemo. 

Were you doing CAPD, or CCPD? Sounds to me like you were doing CAPD, in which yes it would take up alot of your time. However, CCPD, Takes no time at all... about 30 minutes a day to setup/drain and throw away. Other than that, your free... you do the dialysis during your sleep.... Just an FYI :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Triker

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2007, 06:51:57 PM »

I was on a cycler and did mine by night also. I was on 8 hours. There was probably 30 minutes setting up, with three bags, there was another 20 minutes unhooking, draining used solution, and putting away trash. There was another manual daytime exchange for another 45 minutes or more. Add for the time for arranging and inventorying your supplies, doing your epo shots, several trips to carry out trash each week, cleaning your access daily, and other misc. duties. They wanted to add another bag to my cycler and another two hours daily. I didn't require that much sleep, I seldom sleep 8 hours. 10 hours on the cycler was too much for me. I also considered, the difficulty in traveling. It's not impossible, I've even made manual exchanges in my truck while driving. It does require a truck to carry all the supplies and machine, if you're going for more than a day or two. I wanted to be able to take weekend motorcycle trips and didn't see anyway way I would ever be able to do this on PD with no days off. There are good sides and bad sides to either choice. On PD, I consistently felt better, & was able to pretty much drink all I wanted. I have more freedom on hemo, and all the work is done for me, but I don't feel as well, and I have a terrible trying to control my fluids. JMO
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2007, 07:06:52 PM »

I was on a cycler and did mine by night also. I was on 8 hours. There was probably 30 minutes setting up, with three bags, there was another 20 minutes unhooking, draining used solution, and putting away trash. There was another manual daytime exchange for another 45 minutes or more. Add for the time for arranging and inventorying your supplies, doing your epo shots, several trips to carry out trash each week, cleaning your access daily, and other misc. duties. They wanted to add another bag to my cycler and another two hours daily. I didn't require that much sleep, I seldom sleep 8 hours. 10 hours on the cycler was too much for me. I also considered, the difficulty in traveling. It's not impossible, I've even made manual exchanges in my truck while driving. It does require a truck to carry all the supplies and machine, if you're going for more than a day or two. I wanted to be able to take weekend motorcycle trips and didn't see anyway way I would ever be able to do this on PD with no days off. There are good sides and bad sides to either choice. On PD, I consistently felt better, & was able to pretty much drink all I wanted. I have more freedom on hemo, and all the work is done for me, but I don't feel as well, and I have a terrible trying to control my fluids. JMO

I didnt have a daytime exchange, and you could of easily told your dr you didnt want a daytime exchange, and they could of change your prescription to accomodate you by adding onto your exchanges at night.  Your driver who delivers your supplies is supposed to arrange and do inventory on your supplies, its there JOB... not yours. Whats another 2 hours on the cylcer you could watch tv or read a book... chat online or whatever... better than hemo. IMO. I travelled no problem while on PD, went to Disney world actually, they delivereled a machine and supplies right to my hotel... :) You could easily take a motorcycle trip on PD, just call them in advance and have them deliver a machine and some supplies for the weekend to wheveer it is your going too.... Just incase you wanted to rethink it.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Triker

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2007, 01:42:31 AM »

Good info! It seems there was lot's of things I'd never been told. Still, I doubt that I could be talked into having the tube put back in my belly. It was very painful healing. Then had to be reopened, to pull the end of the tube out. I never understood the reasoning for why they did it that way, but it was another healing process. I wish I had been told about the traveling thing. I also hated breaking my day to stop and do a manual exchange, and never was given the option of adding it to my cycler. Still, if you are on 10 hours, and add another exchange, thats a long time to be hooked to a machine daily. They kept adding fluid, until my belly looked like I was 8 months pregnant, and none of my pants would fit, even my big pants. Then I developed IBS, after going to PD. It completely disabled me frequently. Any stress, mental or physical, would drop me to the floor for hours at a time. I would get stomach cramps, sweats, high blood pressure, high pulse, sometimes I would vomit, or have to have a bowel movement. I found a place to lay still, and wait for it to pass, otherwise it would hurt more, and last longer. As it was, it would last for an hour and frequently more. I recall wanting to go to Walmart to get a hunting license once. By the time I got to the sporting goods counter, it was to the back of the store, and stood there waiting for someone to get to the register, I got sick. I got to customer service, laid down and waited until I felt alright, then they wheel-chaired me back to my truck. I didn't get my license, so I went back the next day and did same thing. The third day, I decided I would get one of the handicapped carts. There were only two of them. One was not working, and the other one was out. After waiting for about an hour, it came in, but the battery was down. I decided to try without it, and got sick again. Finally, the fourth day, I got my daughter to take me to get my hunting license. She wheel-chaired me to the back of the store and I got my license. Pretty funny now, but it wasn't at the time. I got a deer that year, and was the best one I ever got. I was in one of those camo tents. When I shot at my deer, I got excited, and had to lay on the floor of my tent for nearly two hours. Anyway, even though the doctors told me that the PD had nothing with my IBS, it suddenly disappeared, after changing to hemo, and getting my plumbing out.  I still have the slightest hint of it, but it takes a lot to upset me. I'm glad it works for you, but I doubt I'll try it again. :cuddle;
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2007, 04:25:42 AM »

This is a bit OT.. but I was out in the heat (38c/~100F) today for a few hours at a football club family day (GO TIGERS! :) ) and I was also out doing some other things and I sweated quite a bit.. when I got home and on the scales I found I was 1.5kg LIGHTER... so actually well under my dry weight....

Anyway the point of this post is that I actually did NOT feel like just drinking whatever... I have been having measured drinks and put on about 1L or so given I still have a day till my next session, but it was an odd feeling knowing that I had some sort of relative freedom in drinking... and I was sitting there and actually did not feel like just downing a 600ml water like I would have easily done a year ago.

I guess this is progress?!

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2007, 07:29:55 AM »

the doctors told me that the PD had nothing with my IBS, it suddenly disappeared, after changing to hemo, and getting my plumbing out. 
I replied but since I realized what I said would take this off topic I started a new thread here: http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=2765.msg39093#msg39093

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
billoggblog

You Dialyse to Live....You Don't live to Dialyse!

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2007, 03:03:33 PM »

The other day I had a "WHOLE PINT OF WATER" in one gulp!!!. :beer1;

Then I Woke Up..................................................

Yesterday is History..........Tomorrow is Mystery..........
Today is a Gift...That's why they call it Present.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »