I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:39:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  drinking
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: drinking  (Read 20840 times)
jonn r

my little girl maiah

« on: January 07, 2007, 08:13:47 AM »

so has anyone found a good way to get past wanting to drink all the time....so they tell me i can only have 1.5 nalgane bottles of water...but come on..thats all i can have...this is killing me....plz help with some ideas

jonn
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:21:46 AM »

I chew on ice chips most of the day long. If I drink something it is usually to take pills or to celebrate having a drink! They say sucking on hard candy helps. I usually end up eating and crunching the hard candy.  You have to suck on it to relieve the thirsty sensation.  Chewing gum helps a little.  It gets the saliva going in the mouth so it is not dry all of the time. Some people freeze grapes and eat them slowly. Mostly I allow myself one can of soda a day and the rest I eat on ice chips.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 09:24:15 AM »

Really watch your diet for the sodium.

Watch sugar and caffeine intake as it contributes to thirst also.

Also quench type of gums can help.

Its real easy to eat too much sodium and then drink too much which in turn makes the dialysis run not so good and people do not feel well.

I have done it and seen it happen to others where they get off dialysis and do not feel well.  First thing is to drink fluid or eat comfort food (usually sodium loaded) in an effort to feel better which in turn keeps the vicious cycle going of having too much fluid to take off and not feel well and then again eating and drinking what you want to feel better.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:25:12 AM »

I love the ice chips at dialysis! But I HATE the water's after taste at my place :(

I am allowed 1000ml per day. It is hard but without any OUTput you really have no choice :(

Don't buy your favourite drink or you will drink too much! At least I find I do! I find the drink limit the HARDEST thing even more than the diet..

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 10:19:05 AM »

What's worked for me so far - only use smaller glasses.  Don't set the glass on the table during the meal.  If it's not in front of me, I don't drink it on autopilot.  My 1.5 L of water equals 6 of the glasses I use to drink from, so I know I can have one with each meal, and one each for when I'm brushing my teeth in the morning and evening, and one to spare for when I'm thirsty in between.

I agree, the fluid restrictions are much harder than the diet restrictions.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

jonn r

my little girl maiah

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 10:23:57 AM »

there has to be a better way
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 10:41:40 AM »

Hey jonn..... the only other thing I can offer you as far as a "better way", is

1) suck on hard candy (helps me)

2) chew on gum

3) change from hemo to PD (Not everyone can just change or they may not even want to change... however it does offer a bigger freedom in the drinking area. I still obviously cant go around drinking gallons of fluids a day, but I dont have to limit my fluid to so little either. I drink a lot of iced tea in a day, so i'm not as thirsty as when I was on hemo b/c I do dialysis everynight I can drink pretty much however much I want and I know my limits without going over board.

Hopefully these helped ya some... other than chewing on ice and puting your drinks in smaller glasses idunno what else to tell you.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 04:31:02 PM »

I recently bought

'Oasis' by the makers of Sensodyne

http://www.dentist.net/sensodyne-oasis.asp

I saw it advertized in the orlando kidney center,my husband
 (who is the dialysis guy) says its okay-helps a bit.It was about $5.00
There is a toothpaste and mouthwash too, formulated for people with dry mouths.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 04:33:32 PM by glitter » Logged

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
renal30yrs

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 02:18:33 AM »

Evaporation (sweats) and frequent bowel movement seems to help.  You are losing a quiteabit of flid in this manner and means you can drink more.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 02:37:29 AM »

I find keeping my drinks in the fridge instead of near me and only going for sips and leaving it there. Also brushing my teeth and tongue 3 times a day help. (I know odd but it helps me). That sensodyne-oasis might actually help. I gotta try that myself!  :thumbup;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
renal30yrs

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 02:38:56 AM »

Have any of you used dry mouth spray?
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 02:46:32 AM »

Have any of you used dry mouth spray?
Not yet. I just saw it in this thread so I am going to try it when I find it!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 03:19:59 AM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
renal30yrs

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 02:51:43 AM »

I try to nibble on lemon and lime wedges.  They seem to help.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 03:21:45 AM »

Has anyone heard of spitting a lot to get rid of some fluid? I don't know where I heard that but I think it was from someone in one of the few kidney forums I go on. Spitting all day he elimidated .. I dunno .. maybe 200ml per day? But I could imagine the stares if he was spitting in public!

Oh wow I hit 3000 posts!! Eeeek! Come on people get posting! Catch up to me lol!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
renal30yrs

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 05:32:39 AM »

Spitting a lot olny makes you thirsty.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 06:14:26 AM »

I know staying away from salt helps. Any other suggestions?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
renal30yrs

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 06:18:11 AM »

Sugar or sugary food often aggravates thirst.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 07:43:30 AM »

Has anyone heard of spitting a lot to get rid of some fluid? I don't know where I heard that but I think it was from someone in one of the few kidney forums I go on. Spitting all day he elimidated .. I dunno .. maybe 200ml per day? But I could imagine the stares if he was spitting in public!

Better off watching fluid than trying to "spit"  it off. :D

Most likely it comes from wrestlers.  In wrestling it is not uncommon when we had people that were slightly over their competition weight to start spitting constantly in a effort to make weigh in.

One thing I still use from those days is to exercise with wrestling plastics to sweat fluid off.  Have thought about sneaking into the local hotel and using their sauna room on occasion.......... ;D

Hate to sound like a broken record. but the one thing that cannot be stressed enough is to watch sodium intake.  People take in far more sodium than they believe or admit they are taking in.  Since I have strictly kept track of sodium I am never thirsty anymore.

Most average people even do not think they take in that much sodium.  However studies show the average person takes in over 10,000 milligrams a day. :o  So therefor the hurdle for people coming off 10,000 milligrams of sodium a day to the expected goal of less than 2,000 for most once they hit renal failure.

In addition to renal30yrs suggestions of sugar and sugary food is caffeine.  They say greasy food is suppose to make people thirsty also but I wonder if it really is the greasy food or the fact most greasy food is loaded with Na?

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 10:48:20 PM »

Spitting?  Ewwwww.

Wonder how much drooling in your sleep counts. . . .

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

shay_pcb

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 11:54:28 PM »

I saw either on this forum or another that drinking a glass of hot water when you get up would help with being thirsty all day. I, personally, haven't tried it so I don't know if it works or not, but I thought it might help someone here.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 11:59:01 PM »

so has anyone found a good way to get past wanting to drink all the time....so they tell me i can only have 1.5 nalgane bottles of water...but come on..thats all i can have...this is killing me....plz help with some ideas

jonn

Make sure at dialysis they turn OFF (if they use it on you) "Sodium Variation" I did and when I was in-center it helped me from being so thirsty.  :thumbup;

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Andy55

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 12:05:47 AM »

Spitting is what high school wrestlers do when they are trying to make weight...so if you take up spitting just tell nosy bystanders you're getting ready to wrestle...that should send them scurrying...

Andy

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 12:08:29 AM »

jonn

Make sure at dialysis they turn OFF (if they use it on you) "Sodium Variation" I did and when I was in-center it helped me from being so thirsty.  :thumbup;

- Epoman
Epoman, I got a question about that "Sodium Variation" setting on the machine but I realized it would take this thread off topic so I have asked it here:

Go to this link: http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=2627.msg37030#msg37030

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Nan

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 12:08:07 PM »

I can't wait to try the Oasis mouth spray....sometimes I awake during the night and I can't even swallow because my mouth is soooooooooo dry!  I too....keep my water in a glass bottle in the fridge, I go and take a sip and then put it back into the fridge.  My worse time is at a restaurant when I get those TALL icy glasses of water....!!!! Gum helps during the day.....and JELLO....cold, slippery, wet jello, eating it slowly, sometimes helps. I shake my head and laugh....all those years...we were told to DRINK...DRINK....DRINK.....and I even recall complaining about all the water my DOC wanted me to drink per day....Boy....do I miss those days!

No matter how your heart is grieving....as long as you keep believing, the dream that you wish will come true!
Diagnosed with PKD in 1994
Started HEMO dialysis June 2006
Started Home Dialysis on cycler February 2007
Had Live donor transplant February 2008
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 10:40:45 PM »

I totally agree the fluids thing is the hardest to deal with. i also admit that I have too much sodium!

Frankly, I *wish* I could have 1500ml a day (the 1.5 Nalgene bottles from the OP). I *should* have around 700-800 a day but my realistic limit is 1000ml and I can usually do OK (I was 1.8 over yesterday - woohoo!). What I do is not drink a whole can or bottle of water/soda/whatever at once. I might open it, take a few sips, then put it in the fridge then come back to it later. This can stretch say 350ml over a few hours.

I also keep a rough count in my head of how much I have had and try to pace through the day, and obviously leave allowance if I am going out to dinnner or something. For example, tonight I will be watching Football. I have kept myself to ~400ml so far today so i can have a little more while watching the football (so that means an amber kind of fluid!).

I also use my scales as almost a religion at times... so I can keep myself on target before the next session, or close to anyway.

I've also noticed, and this may just be me, but if I drink a mixed drink (eg: vodka/orange) for some reason when i weigh myself it doesn't always seem to translate to full fluid gain. Perhaps some of it evaporates off.

At the end of the day I have decided that if it's a question of quality of life vs. dialysis, I'll have a *little bit* more even if it puts me over the "limit" - of course if I get a cramp  or something that brings me back to earth.. but I try and relax about it.. I mean if I am 2.3 over I am not going to totally panic about it.. I think that would be worse.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »