I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 06:19:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  drinking
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: drinking  (Read 20842 times)
Triker

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2007, 10:17:34 PM »

Yeah, you woke up, and you were still thirsty. I seems like to me, the only time I'm not thirsty is when I'm sleeping. This is sheer torture. It's the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. 

The Oasis mouthwash is satisfing for while to me. The spray wasn't much help. Brushing my teeth, frequently, helps also.

The other day I had a "WHOLE PINT OF WATER" in one gulp!!!. :beer1;

Then I Woke Up..................................................
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 10:21:50 PM by Triker » Logged
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2007, 11:27:53 PM »

Try a humidifier in the house, too.  It helps if the air you're breathing isn't bone dry.  Don't forget some form of lip balm.  Dry lips will not help with the thirst.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Triker

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2007, 11:44:25 PM »

Thanks for the tips. :thumbup; My house is very dry, it's cold and the heat is on. I've noticed that there is lots of static. My lips are dry, and my skin is dry for that matter. I just hate cold weather. Summer is my favorite season! It never gets too hot for me.

Try a humidifier in the house, too.  It helps if the air you're breathing isn't bone dry.  Don't forget some form of lip balm.  Dry lips will not help with the thirst.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2007, 11:47:40 PM »

Thanks for the tips. :thumbup; My house is very dry, it's cold and the heat is on. I've noticed that there is lots of static. My lips are dry, and my skin is dry for that matter. I just hate cold weather. Summer is my favorite season! It never gets too hot for me.

Me too so I have one (a cheap one that is getting white residue buildup :() too as everything I touched shocked me and my nose was so dry even when I woke in the morning and my skin is sooo dry. It is the electric heat here.

I just lowered my dry weight target before the weekend from 64.5kg to 64.0kg and then on Monday I discovered I was 5kg up :( Damn I was thirsty. Maybe I should not have lowered my dry weight but I noticed I always felt heavy and my BP was a little up. It is so hard :(

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
billoggblog

You Dialyse to Live....You Don't live to Dialyse!

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2007, 07:17:18 AM »

A Humidifier is a very good idea.  You can now buy a small USB Humidifier to sit beside your PC, so, looking at IHD is not only interesting, It also makes you feel better (Less Dry) :2thumbsup;

Yesterday is History..........Tomorrow is Mystery..........
Today is a Gift...That's why they call it Present.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2007, 07:31:28 AM »

Angie, soak the white residue off in vinegar.

I've got forced air heat, so there are two humidifiers running here, and it's still not enough some times.  I'm thinking of getting a fish tank and a few more plants.  Those help a lot - if I can keep them all alive! 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2007, 08:40:01 AM »

Angie, soak the white residue off in vinegar.

I've got forced air heat, so there are two humidifiers running here, and it's still not enough some times.  I'm thinking of getting a fish tank and a few more plants.  Those help a lot - if I can keep them all alive! 

Vinegar? I will have to go out and buy some now! lol Thx!  :clap; :thx;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2007, 10:08:56 PM »

White vinegar will clean a lot of things in the house.
Coffeepot
Humidifier
Vaporizer
Bathtub
Glasses with streaks
Windows

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
nextnoel

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2007, 07:43:54 AM »

I saw either on this forum or another that drinking a glass of hot water when you get up would help with being thirsty all day. I, personally, haven't tried it so I don't know if it works or not, but I thought it might help someone here.
Unrelated comment:  I read the other day that hot water is the favorite drink of the Dalai Lama.

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2007, 09:16:32 PM »

I used to like a cup of hot water now and then.  People in college thought I was weird when I would just have a cup of hot water to drink.  It is warm and soothing and no sugar or caffeine.  Now thought, no water hardly ever.  Waaah!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2007, 01:36:21 PM »

I used to like a cup of hot water now and then.  People in college thought I was weird when I would just have a cup of hot water to drink.  It is warm and soothing and no sugar or caffeine.  Now thought, no water hardly ever.  Waaah!

Some people say drinking hot water with lemon first thing in the morning gets things......ahem..."moving"  ;)

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
George Jung

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2007, 06:10:52 PM »

I'm terrible with the  renal diet and fluids in particular.  I have never calculated any of my intake.  I do want to do the right things but I don't think I have the motivation.  When I go for my sessions I usually have picked up around 3 kilos, which seem to come off fine without any complication, so is there a problem?  All of my numbers are in the shaded area, ect.  I feel fine and I pretty much eat and drink as I like to.  I do real small things though, as I am conscious about the general rights and wrongs.  Moderate the no, no's and limit how much I do drink. 

What I really like to do as far as liquid consumption is to drink out of 12oz bottles.  I'll take the water or a soda bottle and place it in the freezer.  I leave the drink in there until it becomes slushy like and drink from it that way.  If it starts to get too frozen I transfer it to the cooler.  Doing this keeps me from downing the beverage and I really savor the ice cold liquid melting in my mouth before it slides , icy cold, down my throat.  It also gives me a general idea of how much I have had to drink, if I feel as if I'm going overboard I can add up the bottles and have an idea of my total intake.  Using this method I have not had to cut myself off and I can drink all the time (well, most of the time).  As a professional cook, food and beverage has been my life.  Depriving myself of these things would be the hardest thing so I just try to be aware of what I am doing and use moderation as best I can.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »