I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 04:20:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Skiped session and your experience
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Skiped session and your experience  (Read 3377 times)
onestronglittlelady

« on: March 27, 2011, 09:53:29 AM »

Here is my situation. For the past 5 years I have been invited to a Christian women's retreat. I was never able to go due to my job. This year I am jobless. I contacted the retreat director and they gave me a free $75 ticket. I told the dialysis center 6 weeks in advance I need to change my sessions around to do one Friday am and again Monday am (they are closed on Sunday). The other ladies going along were going to wait for me to leave, so I could ride with and sleep until we got there.

I was just informed they couldn't get me in until noon on Friday, so I would get done too late for me to ride with the others. I don't really want to drive 3 hours after dialysis by myself, plus the expense of gas and missing out on part of the retreat. The retreat is this coming weekend.

What is the worst that will happen if I do dialysis on Thursday am, then not again until Monday am?  I am 106#, and had 12% of my transplanted kidney function left last December. I still produce urine. They have never taken more than 2 pounds of fluid off me, and I do not have any other health issues.  I don't want to make this a habit, but I really want to go to this event.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:02:58 AM »

being the booger that i am have alot of experience in skipping lol
My advice, watch what u eat and drink more than usual!
U still have alot of function, i have 2% and if i skipped the weekend the worst I feel is a tingle sensation thru my body, probably because of too much potassium, and since i dont really watch my fluid as closely as i SHOULD, then i sometimes get the shortness of breath, due to too much fluid...
Id say if u dont make a habit of it, it should be fine, just really watch what ur eating and drinking. I think taking a little "vacation" would be healthy. See if u couldnt get in first thing when u get back on monday too, that way u dont have to wait til tues.
Worst case senario, which i highly doubt would happen if u watch urself, would wind up in the hospital for emergency dialysis.

Have fun on the retreat, God Bless!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:47:42 AM »

i tend to agree with goth.  But mostly because of your residule kidney function.  Hubby had sort of same situation last year once, and (first of all it STINKS that they couldnt have accomidated you!! espacially since you gave notice!!) he did great actually.  NOT suggesting this for anyone else, but his kidney function is still working fairly well so he was actually wanting to stop D at that time as he felt fine.  It actually confused me to tell ya the truth, because everyone else has said the feel like crap if they miss.  I think it would be lovely for you to go and...........is it possible to go to a later thursday treatment just for that extra few hours??  And mabie???????????????? you could just go hang around on fri morning to see if someone doesnt show????   Hoping for a great outcome for you!!!   :pray;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
noahvale
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 12:02:09 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:29:58 AM by noahvale » Logged
kamar55

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »

First, I would ask patients that you know on the earlier shift if any could switch with you for that day, and you would do the same in the future.

If that doesn't work, are you going to a chain facility that has other locations in your area?  If so, they can make arrangements for you to go to one of the other clinics for a treatment.  The chains, like DaVita and Fresenius, have patient records computerized, or can fax over the treatment info.

Excellent Advice...I say Go! Go! Go! Have fun (but watch your fluid intake)

Want unconditional love? Want a friend for life? Adopt an animal from your local shelter. It's a win, win situation!!
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »

Guys its not all about the fluid , its the toxins , the potassium etc as well. So you are doing thurs am , missing fri am, sat am and sun am. Over here and probably there we have a 2 day break, i do tues/thurs/sat and have sun/mon off. When that comes around im usually not to bad. At very worst you will notice you get breathless and come monday expect to have a very rough session, partly because of all the extra fluid you might have to take off. If you are very good and really stick to the good foods and as little fluid as possible you might just end up feeling rough on monday, your breathing is the best indication of how things are going, also if it gets really bad your bp will go up and your heart may race a bit.  (done want to spoil your plans , just wanted to point out things to watch for if you skip !)

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 04:14:36 PM »

One of my concerns is not being able to follow the renal diet.  Your meals are usually included and you have no say what they are serving. Just be real careful.
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 07:47:27 AM »

I experience the hang over feeling.....   but watch fluids....  enjoy your trip and have fun.......... watch the salt.......   I love trips......

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
GraphicBass

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »

I did this last November in order to go on a five-day cruise.

Dialyzed Saturday morning, left that afternoon. No dialysis until Thursday afternoon after the ship docked. Four days.

I watched what I drank and ate and ended up gaining only about 3 kilos (6.6 pounds). Only problem was that I still had a catheter and it was a little slow to get started again. Felt great the whole time. I checked with my nephrologist who said I could take diuretics during the week, which helped as well. I do have residual kidney function like you.

I agree with the other posters. If  you can't get someone to swap or arrange treatment at another center in the same chain (if it's a chain), then go, watch yourself, and have a great time.

gary
onestronglittlelady

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 05:20:55 PM »

Thank you all for your help. On Tuesday morning I was told they couldn't get me in early on Friday. Then my Doctor came around for his monthly rounds. I told him if they couldn't get me in early Friday they wouldn't see me until Monday. Strange, before I finished my session they magically were able to get me in at 6:30am on Friday. I am so excited to be going somewhere! Life just hasn't been the same since I started dialysis. Hugs and blessings to all the wonderful people here. Without all of you I would be in the nut house!
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 05:35:16 PM »

OH, I'm glad you  got to the right person to get you your spot. Enjoy the trip!  :2thumbsup;

:flower;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »

:bandance;  :2thumbsup;  :bandance;
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 06:41:16 PM »

YEAH!!!!    enjoy, heck, enjoy for all of us  :cheer:    Im so happy for this as it will just make your trip that much better.....and even guilt free  ;)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 06:47:42 PM »

Amazing how that happened!  You go girl!!!!!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 06:49:44 PM »

Good for you!    :2thumbsup;    :yahoo;    :clap;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »

onestringlittlelady,

your situation sounds similar to a situation I faced in 2009.

I wanted to travel to attend my college reunion.  But it was a busy time of the year in that city; and even with a month's advance notice, I was unable to get any suitable slot for dialysis at any decent dialysis clinic.  So I had no choice.  I traveled to the reunion and skipped one dialysis session while I was there.

Like you, I had some residual kidney function left (about 10%); I was still producing a good amount of urine; I rarely needed to take off more than 1.2 kg at dialysis; and I watched my diet and fluid intake carefully. And I did just fine.  I put on no more fluid than usual.

So it wouldn't surprise me if you could survive skipping a session without much trouble.

Of course, the best thing for you to do is discuss it with your own neph.  He can tell you if, in his judgment, your constitution is strong enough to skip a session without trouble.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »

Go and enjoy yourself. I am glad they were able to work it out.  I had a yelling fit one day at my center because they did not get back to me in a timely manner about a schedule change I put in a month in advance.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »