I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 12:22:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Dialysis center's first patient ready to go
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis center's first patient ready to go  (Read 1170 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: March 26, 2011, 04:52:14 PM »

Dialysis center's first patient ready to go

Monday, February 28, 2011
By Magdalene Landegent

Bob Lampe doesn't really consider himself a pioneer.

He just considers himself lucky.

The Le Mars man has been chosen to be the first dialysis patient at the Le Mars Area Dialysis Services (LADS) center.

"I'm thrilled, really," Lampe said, adding that he may start as soon as Wednesday. "It's a pretty big deal to me."

The new Le Mars dialysis center can only offer dialysis to one patient at first in order to be certified. After that process, it will be opened for other dialysis patients.

Seventy-three-year-old Lampe is still relatively new to dialysis. He started in September after his Type 2 diabetes caused kidney failure. In other words, his kidneys stopped effectively filtering his blood. They dropped to 15 percent functionality.

"You're never prepared for that," Lampe said.

It meant a major life change. Not only does he have to watch what -- and how much -- he drinks (he can only drink 48 ounces of liquids per day), Lampe now spends 12 hours each week hooked to a dialysis machine.

Before the LADS center, the closest dialysis clinic was in Sioux City.

That meant driving about 40 minutes to and from dialysis three times a week, with each dialysis session lasting about four hours.

"I was on the early shift -- 6 a.m. I have to be there -- so I get up at 4 a.m.," Lampe said.

Having a dialysis center in town will make a world of difference to him, he said.

"I could walk up there from here," he said, sitting at his desk at his used auto dealership on Plymouth Street. "It will be so handy -- save time, fuel."

He has no qualms about being the first patient. He knows the people who will be working there because they have been training at the Sioux City center where he currently receives dialysis. He is also a patient of Dr. Liem-Som Oei, of Renal Associates in Sioux City, who will be the LADS center's medical director.

In fact, that's how Lampe was chosen as LADS' first patient. Oei helped pick the first patient out of his existing patients -- and that person had to be willing and able to use the Le Mars dialysis center.

After Lampe agreed, he jumped on the opportunity to tour the LADS center. He said he'd been watching the planning and construction with anticipation.

"It's a very nice facility," he said.

Lampe said his Sioux City dialysis clinic -- one of two in that community -- is very busy.

He explained that dialysis basically filters his entire blood supply, running it through the dialysis machine.

"You don't really feel much -- you're tired at the end," he said.

Lampe grew up in Le Mars, then worked with auto dealerships for years, owning a gas station and tire shop in Remsen for some time as well. He later came out of retirement to open his own used auto dealership, Bob's Choice Auto.

"I'd painted my house inside and out, and I remodeled the kitchen, and then I got really bored and bought this place," he said with a grin.

He has six children and more than a dozen grandchildren.

With kidney failure, Lampe said the best case scenario would be to receive a donated kidney. One of his children has already volunteered to be a donor, but there are a lot more things that have to take place before Lampe would be approved for a transplant. He's already undergone some of the required tests.

"There are so many variables," he said.

In the meantime, Lampe said he's thankful dialysis is offered -- especially now that it will be offered in his hometown.

"It keeps me alive. I feel good," Lampe said. "It works for me."

© Copyright 2011, Le Mars Daily Sentinel
Story URL: http://www.lemarssentinel.com/story/1706835.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:10:20 PM »

What an awesome story, okarol.  Thanks so much for inspiring post like this. People who have this disease should always have a place to go & more options available.  GREAT POST!

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »