I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 12:24:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  D was pretty much as expected today !
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: D was pretty much as expected today !  (Read 4031 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: March 26, 2011, 01:41:06 PM »

The four muskateers where scattered to the four far corners of the dialysis unit as expected. We all looked at each other as we came in, without saying we all knew why. So today D was one of the most depressing longest sessions i have ever done , my companions (not their fault i know) spent the whole session either sleeping, snoring and other bodily noises ! The guy next to me kept doing like this kind of growl thing , honestly i dont know how else to describe it ! Then he kept making that noise , (excuse me all you male members) like when guys are going to have a good spit ...yuck that sound makes me want to wretch!  But look on the bright side the senior nurse that told us to pipe down was able to sit and do her paperwork in peace ..obviously the sound of loud farts doesnt distract her !!!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:44:21 PM »

obviously the sound of loud farts doesnt distract her !!!

Maybe you should chow down on Alka-Seltzer before your next treatment!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 01:45:39 PM »

DOH ! Im a laydee  :rofl;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 01:49:30 PM »

When I snorted Carl asked what was so funny!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

So glad to see you back in form!  :2thumbsup;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 01:51:20 PM »

You can be a farty laydee just this once! 

I know your session was depressing, but I gotta tell you that hearing about it made me laugh!  You're funny when you're p.o.-ed.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 02:17:17 PM »

there's always this stuff...

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Noise-Putty-Assorted-Color/dp/B0038MU6TW

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »

Well, isnt it just ducky that the nurse could sit and do her paperwork in peace and quiet. That makes me sooo happy!!!
 :sarcasm; :sarcasm;  :sarcasm; :sarcasm;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 03:38:23 PM »

there's always this stuff...

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Noise-Putty-Assorted-Color/dp/B0038MU6TW

they would kill me if i took that in !!!
Not to worry i have a little treat lined up for some of them , ironic really because i will be treating the ones that give me ear-ache ! Whats my little treat ? Oh just a bag of sweeties i ordered from the net from an Olde worlde sweet shoppe (genuine i use them a lot) the sweeties actually carry a 'warning' because they are sooooooo sour ! Now we all know how our nurses love their sweeties !  >:D

Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 03:48:36 PM »

You get five — one for each of the four muskateers and a spare.

Whenever she sits down or stands up, someone plunges a finger into the fart putty. Everyone must then stare at her.  :rofl;

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 04:27:26 PM »

Maybe you need 5 walkie-talkies.  Or tin cans with strings!  I can picture that...... ;D

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »

Quote from: KICKSTART on Today at 06:38:23 PM

You get five — one for each of the four muskateers and a spare.

Whenever she sits down or stands up, someone plunges a finger into the fart putty. Everyone must then stare at her.  :rofl;

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

This plan is DA BOMB!

Stoday, absolutely genius!  :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup;

DomJDavis1985

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 09:20:13 PM »

i still think it is unfair how they are being "party  poopers" lol for lack of a better term..and then had the audacity to separate you all like you are 2nd graders in a classroom...i feel like you should say something to your clinic social worker about this!!!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 05:40:56 AM »

I'd talk to the social worker too..her/his job is to attend to the psychosocial aspects of our lives...and with most people (just one of the traits of our species),  too little social can make us psycho.   

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 06:12:20 AM »

We dont have a social worker on the unit, our social worker is based miles away, to be contacted by leaving a message on her answer machine. Some people dont even know we have one , she has never been to our unit !

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 07:02:50 AM »

OK, understood, and this sucks.  However, she does have an answer machine.  I would write down my thoughts, frustrations etc, and leave her a message saying that you'd really like to talk to her about some things that have been making your life fairly unpleasant, if not downright miserable.  I wouldn't go into any great detail on the message but I'd certainly mention the word "struggling".  I'd have my points written down as clearly as possible with suggestions for the little things that could lighten the burden a bit so that when/if she/he calls you I wouldn't be at a loss for words or forget some points.  I'd ask to meet with her in person, as my first choice, rather than do it all on the phone but phone would be choice number two.  If I heard nothing from her, I'd call once a week for 4 weeks.  After that I'd send my thoughts, frustrations, despair etc in writing but of course I'd now add the difficulty of not getting help to address the things that have been making life so uncomfortable.  I'd mention not wanting to be perceived as "difficult" but how very difficult my life has become, not just because of the difficulty of D but because of little things that add up to painful thorns in a situation that is already full of all sorts of prickly things.  I'd mention anxiety and depression made worse by unnecessary and avoidable frustration and the feeling that nothing is in my control...not even the possibility of connecting and getting and giving support to and from fellow patients.   

If none of this is possible KS then just ignore this.  I know how sometimes things can seem overwhelmingly impossible but part of my personality is to keep hammering away at them anyhow.  I've been doing it all my life and when I was a social work student at a big hospital here in the city the dialysis unit had no TVs for patients even though other hospitals did.  It was because the head neph, a very competent Brit who felt that TV was a waste of mind, had historically opposed it.  We had funding, donated TVs and everything but he was stubborn and worried also that the nurses would lose focus and bla bla bla.  We met and I talked to him about how patients lose concentration after some time hooked up on D, the dreariness of it all, the added demands on nurses as patients became bored and uncomfortable, the squirming and frustration that could actually precipitate alarms,(he never knew, nor did anyone except my immediate supervisor that I  had been on D for 5 years before my first transplant)  and he listened carefully.  Then he said he was still convinced it was a bad idea somehow.  OK, fair enough but could we do a trial for a year say and see what happened I asked.  He said he'd consider it and in the end he gave the go ahead, and the TV's went in. 

:cuddle;
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:05:42 AM by monrein » Logged

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 07:20:14 AM »

If you lot keep on putting these wicked ideas in my head , i will end up in detention with a 100 lines ....I must not talk on D , i must not talk on D , i must not talk on D .. :rofl;

onestronglittlelady

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 09:28:27 AM »

Here is one more fun idea. I am right across from the nurses station. There is one nurse who is always on the phone, talking to friends and not doing her job. Not to mention she is loud and I can't sleep when she is talking on the phone. I had a fun time of calling the center from my cell phone. She would end the call to take mine and I would hang up. We played this game for an hour until she got back to work.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 03:13:45 PM »

I think she works here as well !!!  :rofl;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »