I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:19:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hurt feeling
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hurt feeling  (Read 5066 times)
Ladybag

« on: March 25, 2011, 02:50:37 PM »

I walked in the back today at work and one of the ladies came up rubbed my belly and asked if I was pregnant. That really hurt my feelings I understand there is a puge in my belly but I can't help it. I know this might be a dumb think to be upset over but I am really sensitive with the way I look. :'(

IGA Nephropahty Dec. 2007
ESRD May 2010
PD Cathiter May 2010
Dialysis June 2010
Kidney Transplant April 13, 2011
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 02:54:52 PM »

:grouphug;

I hope you put her straight about her mistake.....

:cuddle;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 03:19:42 PM »

Hey, Ladybag, she's just jealous! :yahoo; That's her problem right?

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Willis

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 04:15:48 PM »

Consider that she was happy for you and likely not trying to hurt your feelings about your appearance. Unless you have reason to think otherwise I'd recommend trying to be gracious with a sense of humor and give her the benefit of the doubt. In the future, it may help if you just realize that this is something that's likely to happen because people are people and sometimes they just make dumb assumptions.

My wife has always been overweight and when she was younger this happened to her a few times and it certainly hurt her feelings. But how could she respond? "Oh, I'm just fat--glad you noticed!"? In your case this could give you a chance to explain your PD and make both of you feel better about the mistake. I'd bet that she was more embarrassed over her erroneous assumption that you are pregnant than you were. My experience is that people who find out what I'm going through with ESRF are usually quite sympathetic.

Now on the other hand, she might just be a jerk in which case you have every right to just tell her to #@$! off!  :Kit n Stik;

gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »

oh my, i have had this happen on a number of occations....
the best would probably have to be when I was at the theater, a woman said Oh my how far long are you? I said uh im not pregnant... her response..... "Oh, u must just eat alot huh??" my jaw dropped.... wow

Of course, some of the times, it may have something to do with my family thinking im too fat for normal little girls clothes, so at around the age of 8 they began dressing me in maternity clothing. I always wondered why my night gowns had holes in the breast area.... (i did have a bulging belly, since i had a 25 lb tumor in there)

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 06:01:40 PM »

Next time you see her, rub her butt and ask if she's pregnant. That'll fix her! lol

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 06:05:40 PM »

ROFL
or... u could just tell her u must be using the same soap she uses on her @ss ...

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 08:55:37 PM »

ROFL
or... u could just tell her u must be using the same soap she uses on her @ss ...

Oh pleeeeeease do this! :rofl;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 05:56:29 AM »

I can beat the lot of you!!

A few weeks ago the (female, if it matters) director of my department came up to me, poked at my belly and said "You've got a baby bulge!!" - she's lucky I didn't go all hulk with roid rage at that one!!  :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 07:36:12 AM »

RM, where u wearing heals and lipstick at the time?? hehehe

HemoDialysis since 2007
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 08:16:21 AM »

RM, where u wearing heals and lipstick at the time?? hehehe

Only in the privacy of my home and.... certain select clubs  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 09:35:42 AM »

So RM...when are you due?  :rofl;
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »

Oh geez Richard, you sure do "take on for the team" a lot  lol. We love you for that! Yeah, when are you due? hee

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Brightsky69

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »

At work on Friday my boss asked if I was alright....and that i looked pale. A few minutes after that I got a call from my transplant clinic saying my creatinine was looking good and my prograf level was excellent.
I think he is trying to make me look bad.  :P

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 01:21:27 PM »

RM ..i think i know that club !  8)

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 01:59:42 PM »

At work on Friday my boss asked if I was alright....and that i looked pale. A few minutes after that I got a call from my transplant clinic saying my creatinine was looking good and my prograf level was excellent.

You could tell him that your busy schedule at work has kept you from making the last few tanning appointments!  :2thumbsup;

But isn't that great news about your creatinine?  :beer1;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Brightsky69

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »

;D   ;D

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 02:58:16 PM »

"Gee Boss, I felt great until you said that. Thanks."
Congrats on the good clinic report!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Brightsky69

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 06:04:55 PM »

I had a co-worker tell another co-worker (a friend of mine) that I really should go out on disability. This was after my transplant.
Of course this bitchy co-worker is a "pet" of my boss. They are really starting to show their true colors.

onestronglittlelady

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 10:33:32 AM »

It amazes me how people can be so rude. It makes me thankful for the nice people in my life.
casper2636

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 11:46:10 AM »

As Blanche DuBois said in the "The Street Car Named Desire"--- "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers"
billmoria

Living life to my max

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 04:39:48 PM »

I have been big (read FAT) all my life. I was a school teacher and I had to deal with comments for 31 years. I often said: "I'd rather be fat above my belt than between my ears!"
 :sir ken;

WMoriarty
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 04:01:55 PM »

Next time you see her, rub her butt and ask if she's pregnant. That'll fix her! lol
Nah.

Next time you see her, act very sympathetic and ask her how long she's been suffering from Alzheimer's, the poor dear.
jojosmommy

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »

I can certainly sympathize!  I have PKD, and the extreme large size of my cysts does actually make me look pregnant... very pregnant.  I could easily wear maternity clothes and would probably be more comfortable, but I refuse.  I have people comment on my "pregnancy"  all the time.  I even had a patient at D ask me when I'm due! Crazy! Then recently, at a funeral I saw a family member that I hadn't seen in a long time.  She came up to me, put both hands on my belly and announced loudly "when did this happen? I didn't know you were pregnant!"  It was a little humiliating for me, but much more for her, when I removed her hands and said I'm not pregnant, it's just my kidneys.  Everyone around us was a little uncomfortable, and began to change the subject!  :lol; Just hit them with the truth, and they will feel bad that they even said anything at all!  Hang in there, and don't let it get you down!

Oh and by the way... I'm considering the date that I can get my cystic kidney's removed to be my "due" date!  When I get a new kidney, I plan on having a "birthday" party just as if it were the birth of a child.  Hey, I've listened to the comments and carried these suckers around long enough, I think I deserve it!  :birthday;

PKD
Diagnosed Feb. '06
Fistula May '09
Dialysis Sept. '10
Fistulagram- Christmas '10
CHeatherS

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 07:27:05 PM »

You know, this has been a subject for some time on the PKD forum.  It's quite common.  I was even telling my dialysis nurse about it, and she said she personally has made that mistake and felt SO BAD about it.   I guess that the main thing is that we have to really come to terms with it ourselves.  Until we go through it, we just don't "get it"..... but we sure can try hard to inform people, as well as tell them how bad it makes us feel...   :puke;   

I thought that one of my best assets was my flat, six pack tummy.  In just a matter of a year or two, that's gone, and especially now that I have just started PD.  I didn't think I was so vain, but I went to Hawaii just before I went on dialysis, and I really was self conscious about my tummy.  At least in Alaska you can cover with all the layers of clothing....    So, basically, I am saying, "I hear you friend".

Heather
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »