I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 06:19:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  PD Coping Mechanisms
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PD Coping Mechanisms  (Read 1491 times)
mike22

« on: March 24, 2011, 07:39:04 PM »

Hey all!!! I am set to graduate college this May. I am back on hemodialysis because of my failed transplant(lasted 8 yrs).  Now that I am about to graduate and I am still young, I want to experience life a little more. Obviously,  there are places I want to go and VISIT. Plus, I want to to further my education and of course work. I just think hemodialysis will become to hard on my body with everything else that I have going on. I'm thinking of switching to PD. I want to know how do you guys cope with having to do it everyday. 
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:15:19 AM »

Not sure. Sometimes I hate it. But I just say out loud how much I hate it while I'm hooking it up at night.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 02:07:42 PM »

as a younger person who has done both, i must say i prefer the pd, its so much better, unfortunately my body didnt care for the pd, but if i get told i cant do a transplant, then i plan on trying pd again. hemo sucks lol
i found that on pd, i had more time with my child, i had more fredom, even spent a few days at a friends house out of town, something i "could" have done on hemo, but i didnt want to try a new clinic...

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 07:44:03 AM »

I was on manual PD for 5 years before finally switching to the cycler.  First 4 a day, then 5 a day, then 6 a day.  Luckily I'm retired, so it was never a problem for me.  If you can, get on the cycler as quickly as possible, and then you only have one midday exchange.  Better yet, if you can get Extraneal as your last dwell, you would have no midday exchange. 
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:47:33 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:12:09 AM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
carson

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 10:27:53 AM »

Mike, I don't know where you live, or if you'd consider this, but I've been on dialysis now 14 yrs. I did PD for 10 and thought it was amazing, but now I'm on nocturnal home hemo and I love it! I'm so free! Only inconvenience is travelling. I've yet to go anywhere, but it wouldn't have been any different if I was still on PD. There are others on here who travel all over. They know the ropes and where to go.
something to think about anyway,
Good luck,
Lisa

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »