I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 03:13:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Pain from old graft
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pain from old graft  (Read 2986 times)
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« on: March 24, 2011, 12:54:33 PM »

Mom has always said that her wrist - where the old graft is - feels like it is broken. When she mentions it to her neph, he really doesn't pay attention. Last night mom said "I wish I could feel better." She has pains in different places at different times and I just wish we could get rid of at least one. I know that taking a graft out is not easy and they don't like to do it.

The only thing I can think of as to why her wrist feels broken is that the graft is irritating the nerves near that area? We have tried ice, but is heat better?

Does anyone have an old graft that they have issues with as well?

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 07:41:42 PM »

Husband has never had a graph, but help me understand, why cant they take the old one out? He had a cath tube in his belly when he did PD and they took it out.  It kind of became a part of his belly, but with careful surgical hands, they got it out.  Now it did leave leisons in there, but they have not been a problem.
Hope you get the answer you want. Im quite curious myself!
The fact that the graph is still in does make sense that it may be pushing on some nerves in the area. But Im not a doctor, but it would make sense

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:44:14 PM »

A graft consists of an inner, smooth section, surrounded by an outer covering of mesh.  The tissue around the graft grows INTO the mesh.  That's what stops the bleeding when the needle leaves a hole as it is removed.  The holes never go away.

Cutting out the graft requires removing some substantial amounts of tissue, so in terms of removing it to stop nerve damage - it's more likely to cause more than cure it.

Kitkatz had hers removed because of an infection. 
Here's the post - http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18578.120
There's a pic of her arm post-op about page 7.  Not a pretty pic, and not a fun experience all around.

I always thought heat helped my nerve damage the most.
Also, there's an odd trick you can try - ice or heat the same spot on the opposite arm.  Even a massage or scratching can help.  Our brains are oddly cross wired, and sometimes doing something to one side can change the nerve signals from the other.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 07:04:07 AM »

jbeany, that is so interesting that you say that. Do you watch House? (love that show) He had a neighbor that had "phantom pain." He had him put his arms into a box with mirrors and clench his fist on good arm and let go. I think he was looking at his amputated arm in the mirror. His pain went away!

I will see mom tomorrow and will definitely try this. thanks

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:02:51 AM »

Oh, this sounds maddening.

I have scars on both wrists - a fistula on one side, and a shunt on the other, which I believe was a precursor to a graft. I do not like to be touched, and especially not grabbed, at the wrist. It feels weirdly unpleasant - numb, put still painful. I think my graft was removed during my original op, though. It is definitely not still there. I had horrible pains about 5 years ago - perhaps it was carpal tunnel - but I wore a wrist brace as much as possible for a few weeks, and the pain went away. Anytime it comes back (rarely) I pull the bandage out and use it until it goes away. That's the only device that has worked for me, but I sense your mother and I have different issues.

Good luck to her.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 09:34:17 AM »

jbeany, that is so interesting that you say that. Do you watch House? (love that show) He had a neighbor that had "phantom pain." He had him put his arms into a box with mirrors and clench his fist on good arm and let go. I think he was looking at his amputated arm in the mirror. His pain went away!

I will see mom tomorrow and will definitely try this. thanks

I have watched House, just not recently.  I haven't seen that episode. (I haven't turned my TV on for the last couple of months - no time!)

I know that trick works for me - I tried it when my nerve damage from my first failed fistula surgery was the worst, and I couldn't even stand to have a hot or cold pack on my arm.  It worked later on, for stitches that itched under a bandage as well.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 10:34:47 AM »

Very interesting! I know many years ago I used to have grandmal seizures. A scan showed a lump on left side of brain, yet everything weird was happening on my right.  I had forgotten that! Thanks Jb, for reminding me of that.
Odat, hope you got answers here.  Thats what I love about this place! :guitar:

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »