I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 12:17:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Vein Lift procedure
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vein Lift procedure  (Read 6776 times)
ESRD Survivor

« on: March 17, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »

After two tries at a fistula, both failed to work, I now am in need of a vein lift.  I have heard its a painful procedure.  Can anyone give me information on it?  The nurse told me it was a 3 step procedure.  Does that mean 3 surgeries?  How long is my down time?  This is my last chance for a fistula, the next step is a graph which I do not want, since I want to do buttonholes.  I'm starting to hate this more and more lol.

*kana*

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 06:12:53 AM »

I'm sorry that you are dealing with so much right now.  I too have to have my vein moved due to it being very deep.  I'm putting it off as long as I can because I'm sure it is painful due to where it is located on my arm.  I was in terrible pain for the first surgery to create the fistula.  I was told that mine was a 2 part surgery and haven't ever heard of anyone needing 3 unless there was an issue. 

I just want to wish you the best and hope all goes well for you. 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
ESRD Survivor

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 09:38:59 AM »

Thank you for the only one on here to reply.  I can;t believe no one else hasn't had experiences to tell with a vein lift.  I asked again and was told it was only a 2 part procedure, first the fistula is created then the lift is done later.  I understand its a large incision so there will be more pain involved.  Best of luck to you too.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:23:29 AM »

Yeah im waiting to have that done too ! But its not the vein they lift its the artery (because it is too deep) It can be a 2 part operation , the first part is the 'lift' the second is making the fistula itself. My doctor has given me the option of having it all done in one go . The cut is from elbow to shoulder and usually done in theatre, so you will be asleep for it !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:49:16 AM »

Thank you for the only one on here to reply.  I can;t believe no one else hasn't had experiences to tell with a vein lift.  I asked again and was told it was only a 2 part procedure, first the fistula is created then the lift is done later.  I understand its a large incision so there will be more pain involved.  Best of luck to you too.

I wanted to reply but was not sure my experience was revelent.  After my fistula was created, my surgeon told my husband (I was still asleep) that he "lifted" my vein at the same time he created my fistula.  He lifted the vein and actually sewed it to the underside of the skin of my arm.  I had read about other people who had had to go back and have a vein lifted, so when my husband told me what the surgeon had explained, I was really pleased.  I don't know why my surgeon did it all at one time but other people have had to go back and have more surgeries.  I'm sure there's a good reason, but I don't know what it is.

Sorry I could not have been more help.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 04:24:57 PM »

Its done in 2 sections because one might not work , ie the lifting part, the artery might not end up exactly where its needed so then the fistula either doesnt work or isnt high enough. I think they do the lift first then if all goes well , go back in and make the fistula. Mine said i can choose which i want the all in one or the 2 part ..he then added ..as long as you dont blame me if you end up all cut up on both your arms ! ..charming !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Heymike

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 05:13:03 PM »

Hi, I had a vein lift to make a small (about 5 1\2 inches) fistula in my upper right arm.  It has lasted for 7 years now.  It did have to be reconstructed about two years ago. I did experience a decent amount of pain for a few days after surgery both times (original and reconstruction).  It was pretty well taken care of with vicodin.  As far the vein relocation mine was all done in one operation.  I hope this works out for you.  I had no luck with the grafts I have three (Gortex) in two arms and none lasted more than a few months.  But I have small veins and many patients have excellent success with grafts.

The most fundamental thing about understanding is...Understanding that you don't understand.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 05:25:28 PM »

Hey , heymike !  did you have a large cut from elbow to armpit ? If the answer is yes , how long was it before you could use your arm (in general, not in a dialysis way )

tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »

I wish they had lifted mine when they put it together.....  I have a upper arm one  and my venous is pretty deep..... I have to use a 1.25 inch needle  instead of the normal 1 inch.....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Heymike

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »

Hey KICKSTART,  No, they moved the vein from my triceps area to just below my bicep area on the inside of my arm.  It only had two small incisions one about 4" (triceps) and the other about 2 1/2"  (bicep) with the fistula constructed in between the two incsions.  It took a while to heal as I had some complications.  But I was using it normally after about a month.

The most fundamental thing about understanding is...Understanding that you don't understand.
Pam

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 06:26:02 PM »

My fistula was done Dec 08 and the lifting surgery was done Feb 09. I started dialysis May 09. When they did my second surgery I had 3 small incisions. The first surgery  was done as out patient but the 2nd one I had to stay over night so they could keep a check on drainage. I was lucky, tylenol was all I needed. I've been on D almost 2 yrs. I have buttonholes  . Hope things go very well for you.
Pam   
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 05:03:20 AM »

Sounds like you guys are lucky , mine wants to cut me from elbow to armpit  :o being a lady it doesnt go down to well with me either ! I bet he is old school !!!

carol1987

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 06:34:11 AM »

my fistula is in my lower arm and when it was raised it was a long incision from wrist up to elbow.. but it was not painful for me....

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 07:30:11 AM »

How come it wasnt painful ?

carol1987

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 07:40:45 AM »

How come it wasnt painful ?

i can't say why not... good pain management in the hospital?  i was not on pain meds for long at all either... 

Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »

Did you have staples or stitches ? even with pain management i would expect such invasive surgery to be painful if only while that length of cut heals ... mind you over here pain management is 2 paracetamol 4x daily  :rofl;

ESRD Survivor

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 01:07:54 PM »

Thanks for all the information, I'm not sure if I am more scared or more calm.  LOL, I was told the fistula was created first, then later the lift, since I have had two fistula surgeries that have both died before sue, might be a good idea to make sure the fistula works before lifting it.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 04:26:34 PM »

As far as im aware they HAVE to do the lift first in order to get the artery nearer the surface to make the fustula

ESRD Survivor

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 06:19:39 PM »

Thanks, I will find out Thursday when I see the surgeon and will let you all know what he tells me.
carol1987

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 06:01:48 AM »

Did you have staples or stitches ? even with pain management i would expect such invasive surgery to be painful if only while that length of cut heals ... mind you over here pain management is 2 paracetamol 4x daily  :rofl;

I had staples...

Started HD 10/6/10
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 12:03:46 PM »

Staples and NO pain  :o bet im not so lucky  ::) Im more concerned on developing the art of one handedness when its done !

carol1987

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »

Staples and NO pain  :o bet im not so lucky  ::) Im more concerned on developing the art of one handedness when its done !

i hope you are Kick!!   sending good thoughts.. when is your surgery?

Started HD 10/6/10
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »