I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 02:18:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Skin
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Skin  (Read 1880 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: March 11, 2011, 08:34:34 PM »

Do any of you see a consultant dermatologist?  My skin has become so fragile.  I don't know if it is the CKD, the meds, age or heredity.  My mother had trouble with fragile skin, but then she was much older, yet she had ESRD, so I don't know what to think.  Anyway, is this something that can be treated?  Should I ask to be referred to a dermatologist, or does anyone have any ideas for what I could do myself?

Thank you.

PS:  I DO use sunscreen religiously.  However, I do swim most days in the summer.  I do use a waterproof sunscreen, and I swim in the morning.  But I don't think these steps have helped much.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
casper2636

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 11:50:23 PM »

MM., yes I do see  a skin doc. on a regular basis. When I started D., my skin got very fragile and I bruised easily and had skin tears out the wazzzooo. I then developed huge blisters and itched uncontrollably. My hair and nails fell out and I was scratching with a bread knife for relief A year later, after consulting with a Dermatologist, they found out I was allergic to the Epogen!A big difference for a bull like me! He ended up giving me prednizone for the D. treatments. That too makes your skin weak, but the ability to prevent infection stronger. A great loss for unknown gains? In general, yes, I think D. weakens your skin and makes it more sensitive to anything! Yes, do consult with a Dermatologist...it can't hurt you!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »

By all means, do see a dermatologist. I am having my first trip to one this coming week. Terrible rash, or maybe even two rashes, since they dont seem to act alike, one has little hard lumps and the other makes dry rough patches on my skin. And, I am religious with the Vitamin E oil. Skin is still very dry tho, and like you, I am pre-D.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 05:30:58 AM »

I see my dermatologist every year or two, sometimes more often.  Mostly because of post transplant issues related to possible skin cancer and I've had several dodgy looking little things removed over the years.  None have ever been cancerous but I'm very fair and my Mum died of melanoma at 46 so she feels the caution is justified. 
I also see the gynecologist regularly, bone doctor and bone density exams regularly, dentist every 6 months, rheumatologist as needed, breast clinic and mammograms regularly, opthalmologist every three or four years, family doctor very seldom since I'm not sick very often but I go to her office for a flu shot every year.  All on top of the kidney appointments.

Body maintenance is a full time job in my world but I just get it done and try to be "normalish"

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:29:09 AM »

I see my Derm every 6 months.  With a transplant in my history and 17 years of Prednisone my skin is very bad.  I'm 50 and have been told I have the skin of a 90 year old woman.  Oh Joy!!  I just had this thing removed from my shoulder which HE said was not a mole and was not a big deal.  Turns out it IS a mole and has Atypical Cells.  So, I have to go in and have more dug out.  Why would he NOT know it was a mole?  A little unnerving.....   

My friend just died from a mole she found on her foot 2 years ago which ended up being Melanoma.   :'(

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 08:32:35 AM »

OK, the next time I see my neph (early April), I will ask him for a referral to a dermatologist.  I don't have any specific problem, no post-transplant issues (I wish!) as I have no transplant in sight...just this general dermatological fragility that probably isn't going to get any better.  I am hoping s/he can recommend something that might strengthen my skin.

Thanks, everyone.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 12:36:25 AM »

My God, I would probably give just about anything to have good skin again.

My big issue is acne.  And I've been to the dermatologist numerous times over the years trying different chemicals for relief.

I feel like its a circular game with dermatologists.  Yes, as you age, you want to get moles and lumps checked.  I get that.  But when it comes to acne, they never want to get to the source of what's causing it, just treat it after the fact.

I currently use Epiduo on occasion, and Cliindamycin Lotion twice a day.  But I'm also exploring natural remedies to cure my acne.

The other big issue I have is dryness from the Dialysis treatments.  I was using Aveeno lotion, which helped, but now I'm experimenting with Evening Primrose Oil topically.

So far, the dryness is gone, and my acne is starting to fade, but it hasn't been long enough to truly judge the effectiveness.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 01:21:50 AM »

While my mom was on D, one of the nurses told her that she had another patient who was 90 years old but had lovely skin; she used a lotion called Eucerin.  You can get it at any pharmacy.  I've started using it myself, and I really like it.

That said, I have noticed over the past several months that my skin has started feeling like very find sandpaper.  It LOOKS older, too.  I don't know what's going on. 

texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 08:37:34 AM »

My husband has a big problem with the skin on his feet/legs. Although he is extremely dry all over I think edema and then having all the water pulled off over and over again causes it.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »