I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 11:21:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Will someone talk to me? Pleease?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will someone talk to me? Pleease?  (Read 66383 times)
TexanSummer

« Reply #325 on: April 26, 2011, 11:36:04 AM »

It's days like this I HATE being a temp....I've been on this "assignment" since mid January & it will last until next April (hopefully) when the company's lease ends on the currant building....apparently, a LOT of people got to go to the local Food Bank & volunteer today...complete with a luncheon. I guess because I'm a temp, I didn't get the memo/email. This company is great, but they really do let you know that you are JUST a temp. They have a meeting every other Friday, usually in the morning & they supply kolochies, donuts, coffee, & juice & they go over the "what's happening" during the last couple of weeks....they even have music & laughter....I get to "relieve" the receptionist so she can attend all the events. Over Easter weekend, they had a few people volunteer with a egg hunt at a shelter, the weekend before, there was overtime work, just a lot that I don't get to do. I'd love to volunteer somewhere, but when I am not working, I need to be home with Charles & Allyssa...weekends are when I get most of our shopping & cleaning done & now I'm just making excuses...LOL. it's just nice to get to feel "included" sometimes....*sigh*

Wife of Charles --
   diagnosed with psoriasis in 2000?
   no diagnosed kidney issues until 3 weeks ago
   diagnosed with ESRD 2/24/11
   found out birth defect of kidney valve was cause 2/28/11
   started dialysis  3/1/11
   I still have a level head....most of the time
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #326 on: April 26, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »

Poppy- keep the huggles coming - they cure a lot for me!!!!

Are you going to celebrate W and K's wedding?  I'd love to be there for the frivolities!!!!!

Texas - hang in there!  I wish they included you all!  At my husband's company the temps are included in everything they wish to join - one of the newest temps won the chili cook-off last month!  It may be different because these temps are in line for full time employment if/when permanent employment is available....  Anyway, sorry you are excluded!  That never feels good.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #327 on: April 27, 2011, 02:32:21 AM »

Awww, Summer.  It must be horrid to be excluded like that just because you're a (not-so) temp, especially when you could probably benefit from all these things a lot more than other people.  *sighs* with you.

Are you going to celebrate W and K's wedding?  I'd love to be there for the frivolities!!!!!
Um ... I wasn't planning on it.  Blokey managed to wangle a morning dialysis session for Friday which means he won't be home till after the ceremony and the whole kissing on the balcony at Bucks Palace shebangle.  I'll be stuck at home (public holiday; no work, no bus services, don't drive) and the only thing scheduled on the tellybox (on the major channels anyway)?  Yes, the Royal Wedding.  I'll probably watch a bit of it (who doesn't want to a) see Kate's dress, b) watch them fluff their lines and c) hope they do something a little uncoventional just to show that they're a little bit normal?!) If the weather forecast is nice I might just go to haemoD with Blokey and find a sunny spot at the hospital to ignore the frivolity and read a book.

I'm such a party-pooper!

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #328 on: April 27, 2011, 06:00:26 AM »

I've gotten so pulled in to the whole royal wedding thing.  Maybe I just need a distraction.....
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #329 on: April 27, 2011, 12:42:18 PM »

They had an article in my local paper about someone who was making a fortune selling "Wedding Barf Bags" imprinted with instructions for using when nauseated by the royal hype.   ;D

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #330 on: April 29, 2011, 01:19:48 AM »

They had an article in my local paper about someone who was making a fortune selling "Wedding Barf Bags" imprinted with instructions for using when nauseated by the royal hype.   ;D
*chuckles* ... I've seen those on the telly.  I wanted a limited edition anti-wedding mug but I forgot to order it.  Silly me.

I have vehemently proclaimed that I am NOT going to watch the wedding.  But I turned on the tellybox this morning and BBC1 are covering it (as is EVERY channel seemingly, but I'm a Beeb Babe) and I got a little pulled into it.  I think I might watch it after all.  I am English, and I'm proud to be English, and I actually like having a Royal Family (although I think they need to relax a tad) so I ought to be a little patriotic and watch it.  I'll make a nice cup of tea.

I will not be waving a flag though.

;D

Kitty Cat

Lila & Smudgie

« Reply #331 on: April 29, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »

I watched part of the wedding, I also had no plans to watch it at all but..it was so nice!! I wish them all the best for a happy, healthy life together. She is such an elegant young woman, she'll be a breath of fresh air to the royals.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #332 on: April 29, 2011, 06:49:37 PM »

I didn't watch!  But the pic of the happy couple was front page news here this morning.  I was surprised with the incredibly old-fashioned dress style she chose.  The gravity of the occasion, and all, I suppose.  But given how many trends she's likely to set, it should be interesting.  White wasn't a trend in wedding dresses until Queen Victoria wore one, after all.  And I remember the crazy lengths wedding dress trains went to after Diana's wedding. 

But then, if wedding dress makers start making wedding dresses with sleeves and high collars again, there are going to be a lot of happy women who don't have the body for the current strapless trend!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #333 on: April 30, 2011, 01:39:07 AM »

I was surprised by the dress too.  I think that her sister's bridesmaid dress was far lovelier, but obviously a bit more revealing (showed off her bum and her shapely legs ... I'm not sure that's a good look for the wife of the future king, but I was expecting Kate's dress to be more like that.) If I was due to get married soon I'd want to style my dress on that one rather than Kate's.  It will be interesting to see if the dress does ignite a new trend. I wonder if like many brides there'll be something she regrets ... I regret not wearing my hair up, but hey-ho.

I loved her 'Wow!' as she walked onto the balcony to the cheering crowds.

;D

looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #334 on: April 30, 2011, 06:16:39 PM »

Across the pond, and here in what I affectionately call BFE, (some of you will know that phrase) the Royal Wedding has been an irritant to the farm boys who want to see the farm report, beef market report, weather report, etc, etc....  So..I get up yesterday morning and catch hubby watching it first thing in the morning.  I very innocently ask him what he thought of Kate's dress and he said..."it was ok"...on which I POUNCED!  I said "I KNEW you were SO into the wedding!".  He denied but I have teased him ever since about it, asking him for details of the veil...dress...kiss....  :rofl;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #335 on: May 04, 2011, 07:28:23 AM »

Across the pond, and here in what I affectionately call BFE, (some of you will know that phrase) the Royal Wedding has been an irritant to the farm boys who want to see the farm report, beef market report, weather report, etc, etc....  So..I get up yesterday morning and catch hubby watching it first thing in the morning.  I very innocently ask him what he thought of Kate's dress and he said..."it was ok"...on which I POUNCED!  I said "I KNEW you were SO into the wedding!".  He denied but I have teased him ever since about it, asking him for details of the veil...dress...kiss....  :rofl;
*chuckles*

Do farm boys wear cowboy hats?  I just thought of young men in plaid shirts wearing cowboy hats and chewing corn when I read 'farm boys'.  Beef market report? That sounds like something I'd switch on for.

;D

Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #336 on: May 12, 2011, 08:30:17 AM »

"giggling"
Thinking about beef markets and reports...
and I should get my mind out of the gutter Hi Pops  :waving;

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
TexanSummer

« Reply #337 on: May 12, 2011, 09:42:28 AM »

I'm thinkin I should have just stayed in bed.....We only have 1 car, so sometimes hubby takes me to work & others, I drive myself....well today, I'm walking past the window & I look out into the parking lot. I see my car there & I actually paused long enough to think...."why is my car here?" Then I quickly remembered that I had driven myself to work today & parked it right there only 1 1/2 hours earlier..... :oops;

Wife of Charles --
   diagnosed with psoriasis in 2000?
   no diagnosed kidney issues until 3 weeks ago
   diagnosed with ESRD 2/24/11
   found out birth defect of kidney valve was cause 2/28/11
   started dialysis  3/1/11
   I still have a level head....most of the time
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #338 on: May 13, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »

"Hi Pops  :waving;
Hi Sugar  :waving; ... it's the weekend and the skies are blue ... yay!

I'm thinkin I should have just stayed in bed.....We only have 1 car, so sometimes hubby takes me to work & others, I drive myself....well today, I'm walking past the window & I look out into the parking lot. I see my car there & I actually paused long enough to think...."why is my car here?" Then I quickly remembered that I had driven myself to work today & parked it right there only 1 1/2 hours earlier..... :oops;
D'oh! I'm getting so bad that I sometimes forget what I'm saying halfway through a sentence.  This memory-loss trait of ESRD is apparently rubbing off on us.  Damn those pesky men of ours!

;D

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #339 on: May 13, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »

I was feeling pleased with myself for taking the time to sit on my balcony and watch the lightning storm roll across the river towards me the other night.

Then I read the article about the local man who got zapped standing on his porch watching the same storm.

Now I'm just pleased I had the sense to get my relaxed self back in the house before the storm got too close!   ;D

looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #340 on: May 13, 2011, 10:13:59 PM »

Good idea JB, stay safe! 

Poppy...farm boys wear mostly " ball caps" and chew tobacco or Skoal.  My hubby does have a "cowboy" hat but rarely wears it and most thankfully does NOT chew tobacco! 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #341 on: May 15, 2011, 12:29:35 PM »

I was feeling pleased with myself for taking the time to sit on my balcony and watch the lightning storm roll across the river towards me the other night.

Then I read the article about the local man who got zapped standing on his porch watching the same storm.

Now I'm just pleased I had the sense to get my relaxed self back in the house before the storm got too close!   ;D

We also enjoy spectacular weather, preferably with no one getting hurt!

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #342 on: May 15, 2011, 12:38:54 PM »

He was, thankfully, fine - but it sure rang his bells for him!

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #343 on: May 28, 2011, 08:34:13 AM »

Texie, why have we stopped talking to you?!  You poor thing ...

;D

Today I went to the cinema and got my redundancy letter (not at the cinema, that would be silly; it came in the post). WooHoo! The excitement is so much, it's given me a headache. 

Also, I keep needing to pee.  Blokey just says, 'well, I hope your kidney is okay,' whilst giving me a stern look (as though I'm nothing but a [potential] kidney donor ...)

;D

Woofgang

« Reply #344 on: May 31, 2011, 10:29:36 PM »

I have just been scanning this thread. One of the few things I miss about NJ are the soft pretzels with mustard. DH and I went out there with his work 20 (!) years ago.Don't get me wrong, its a fine place and the people were so friendly but then you had to go as a dependent spouse, no work permit and I am soooo not cut out to be a housewife...anyway that's all in the past. I still miss the soft pretzels and Dunkin donuts bear claws though. Krisp and Kreamy don't even come close.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #345 on: June 01, 2011, 11:55:13 AM »

Ooooh, Dunkin Doughnuts......*drooling*

I went to college 4 hours from home.  There were no Dunkin Doughnuts where I lived, and my mother was addicted.  There were two on my route home.  I was not allowed in the house without a full box!

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #346 on: June 01, 2011, 12:07:08 PM »

I cheated on my renal diet LOL
Blood was drawn yesterday so lastnight I ate pizza and again for lunch today :shy;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #347 on: June 01, 2011, 02:06:49 PM »

Yep! The best day to cheat is the day AFTER blood draws!  :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup;

I'm just trying to stay cool in this record-breaking heat!

:clap;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Woofgang

« Reply #348 on: June 01, 2011, 02:12:26 PM »

DH and I cheated together tonight......we had bloody marys......lovely to sit and enjoy them together with a very few salty pretzels  :oops;
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #349 on: June 01, 2011, 03:00:45 PM »

Hmmmmmmm salty pretzels! LOL! I'm getting hungry! LOL  :lol;

I say too, the best time to cheat, right after the blood is drawn! LOL!  :lol;

Oh, this heat wave is something else, I started running my central air yesterday and I'm lovin' it! :yahoo; ;D

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »