I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 11:29:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Will someone talk to me? Pleease?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will someone talk to me? Pleease?  (Read 66414 times)
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #300 on: April 08, 2011, 12:19:38 PM »

details taste shape colour cream etc mmmmmmmmmm feed my fantasy please say chocolate!!!!
Ha, no not chocolate.  In fact, it was just one of these, but with a few hundreds & thousands sprinkled on top.  And actually it wasn't as yummy as I made out; it was a little sickly sweet and I wish I'd got a shortbread biscuit-y type of thing instead.  ;D

I want a cream cake now ... may have to drive to tesco's and hunt one out...
can't remember when I last bought myself a cream cake. i might treat myself to a decent bottle of wine or some olives or even twiglets but never think about cream cakes ...  :waving;

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #301 on: April 08, 2011, 02:33:28 PM »

Have you tried cake bites?  You bake a regular cake (cheat, just use a box mix) then when it is cool, break it all apart into really fine crumbs with your hands.  (Takes a lot less time than it sounds like.)  Mix it with about 12 ounces of frosting (about 3/4 of a store-bought frosting tubbie) by smushing it all together with the back of a spoon until it's sticky and almost like Play-doh.  Roll it into 48 1-inch balls and pop in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill.  Transfer to fridge until you are ready to dip them into melted chocolate or those colored candy melts.  Add sprinkles (Quickly if you use candy melts - they set faster than chocolate) and put the last of the melted mix into a plastic bag.  Snip off a tiny corner and use the rest to make swirls or designs across the top.  Let set firmly and then hide them if you want to get any for yourself....

I did lemon cake with lemon frosting, then dipped in white and semi-sweet chocolate.

Check out bakerella.com - I got the recipe from her new book.  (And logged on the same day she announced that she hadn't been posting because her kidney transplant had failed after 15 years and she just started D again.)

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #302 on: April 08, 2011, 02:46:01 PM »

Lemon cake and lemon frosting "sigh" that would be so good ....can't believe I am having "cake fantasies!"  ;D

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Brightsky69

« Reply #303 on: April 08, 2011, 04:06:15 PM »

well...I may wake up tomorrow on an unpaid vacation.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #304 on: April 08, 2011, 05:21:13 PM »

We were going to go camping this weekend at Big South Fork National Recreation Area. EVerything was coming together. We had a staff meeting so we got off work early, and there was nothing else on the agenda until our book club at 4:00 on Sunday. We did the weekend grocery shopping last night and started packing up the camper. I had the refrigerator food all ready in the fridge.

Got home and called to see what would happen if there were a shut down and were told that we would have to leave in the morning in that case. Since it is a two hour drive, we decided that it wasn't worth the risk.

Oh well. We have plenty to do at home anyway.  :banghead;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2011, 12:51:46 AM »

I love all the plants with fresh green leaves, here are a couple photos from my street

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2011, 02:21:50 AM »

My purple and white tulips are dancing (in the wind) in my front garden. So good to know spring is here  :)

10 years of half a life
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2011, 10:19:01 AM »

Have you tried cake bites?  You bake a regular cake (cheat, just use a box mix) then when it is cool, break it all apart into really fine crumbs with your hands.  (Takes a lot less time than it sounds like.)  Mix it with about 12 ounces of frosting (about 3/4 of a store-bought frosting tubbie) by smushing it all together with the back of a spoon until it's sticky and almost like Play-doh.  Roll it into 48 1-inch balls and pop in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill.  Transfer to fridge until you are ready to dip them into melted chocolate or those colored candy melts.  Add sprinkles (Quickly if you use candy melts - they set faster than chocolate) and put the last of the melted mix into a plastic bag.  Snip off a tiny corner and use the rest to make swirls or designs across the top.  Let set firmly and then hide them if you want to get any for yourself....

I did lemon cake with lemon frosting, then dipped in white and semi-sweet chocolate.

Check out bakerella.com - I got the recipe from her new book.  (And logged on the same day she announced that she hadn't been posting because her kidney transplant had failed after 15 years and she just started D again.)
These sound scrummy.  I'm planning on spending half a day nearer Easter baking ... I think these may make it onto my Must Bake list.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #308 on: April 09, 2011, 10:30:59 AM »

Can I come round for afternoon tea then???  :)

10 years of half a life
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #309 on: April 09, 2011, 12:18:49 PM »

bakerella also gets all fancy and shapes them into fun things like baby chicks and sticks them on lollipop sticks.  I wasn't that ambitious!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #310 on: April 09, 2011, 02:13:40 PM »

Who is this bakerella person and why doesn't she live next door to me!!!!  :(

10 years of half a life
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #311 on: April 09, 2011, 03:31:57 PM »

Lol! 

http://www.bakerella.com/

Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #312 on: April 09, 2011, 03:37:14 PM »

She'd be my ideal next door neighbour (after David Beckham of course!)

10 years of half a life
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #313 on: April 09, 2011, 05:21:22 PM »

The most aggravating day yesterday. My older son had baseball practice at 5:30 in the afternoon. Gwyn, being the sportier of the two of us, was going to take him. I was to pick our four-year-old up, which I did around 5. As I was leaving, I ran into Gwyn on the street and rolled down the window to say a few words to him before leaving. It was my second trip to the school that day, the first of course being in the morning.

OK, on the way home I tell Liot that we will have the house to ourselves and can just relax, grab a snack and a drink, watch the television or play on the iComputer (the iMac they got for Christmas). I walk in the door, take off my shoes, Liot runs upstairs (two flights) to turn on his iComputer, am just settling into my slippers when the phone rings. Gwyn has a flat and does not have the tools to change his tire. I grab this T-shaped spanner that he wants and explain the situation to Liot who is so amazingly understanding he just says "OK. Just give me a minute to shut down the iComputer." I pack up a few drinks and snacks and return to the school, take Aidan down the road to his practice, get there and he has somehow forgot his mitt at school. Since I packed all of his things for him together, this defies explanation. Return to the school and Gwyn says he managed, with a little help from maintenance, to get the nuts off the cap. I've known Gwyn twelve years, so I tell him that since the spare is not on the vehicle, he needs to call me with plenty of warning if he is going to need me to turn around and return to the school because something has gone wrong. He swears yet again that he has it sorted, that he will have Aidan his glove within a few minutes and I can go home and relax.

You see where this is going.... I get home and see that I've missed a call. I ring Gwyn back and he did not actually get the nut off the cap, he just thought he did. :waiting; ??? Aidan does not have his glove, our car is stuck behind the school, Aidan needs to be collected in half an hour, and I have to explain to Liot yet again that we have to get back in the car and do this a third time. I bribed him with my iPhone. Gwyn requests that I grab his collection of spanners from the garage. I remind him that we get free roadside assistance with my gold AmEx and urge him to call them. A friend of ours, one of our transplant support people, passed by and lives right across from the baseball field, so he offered to deliver the glove to Aidan. Thank you, that's twice you've come to our rescue! I deliver the tools to Gwyn, go sit in the carpark of the baseball diamond, collect Aidan, stop back at the school and Gwyn tells me that no matter what he does, he cannot get that last nut loose. I tell him I am not driving to that school a fifth time, so he must find his own way back. He tells me that he noticed that his other tire is flat, too, and that the roadside assistance person is stuck in traffic. Gah! It's a nightmare.

So, this all started around 5PM, and at 7:45 Gwyn tells me that the mobile tire repair service from AmEx made it there, he got the nut off by using some sort of gigantic tool, and even though he is really not supposed to for some reason, he repaired Gwyn's sidewall tire allowing Gwyn to drive it home, and hopefully drive it to a tire shop on Monday morning.

Not a great way to start the weekend. It will cost us $675 to replace all four tires. Bah, humbug.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #314 on: April 09, 2011, 06:45:45 PM »

We went for 2 walks in the woods today and for a little ride on our new quad.  I even drove it today!!!  Lot easier than the old one. This one has power steering and has a lot more power.  Old one was about a 30 horsepower motor and this one has 60 horsepower.  I even make the tires spin!! 
I think I had a side effect to a statin drug I was taking for high cholesterol.  I have a really bad shoulder and neck. Have to talk to my doctor on Tuesday.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #315 on: April 13, 2011, 07:16:51 AM »

It will cost us $675 to replace all four tires. Bah, humbug.
*ouch*

We're in the process of buying a brand new car.  The day we had to send Tabatha to Rainbow Bridge (to frolic with all the other animals) Blokey got into a fight with a White Van Man.  It was his first accident in for ever and the damage, although minor, amounted to a couple of hundred quid.  On top of that the EBS (I think) broke and that's up to £800 to fix! 

*sigh*

Our brand new car is patiently waiting for us - please keep your extremeties crossed that our current car gets fixed and there's no delay (or extra cost) in bringing our new baby home!

Why is it that people won't play me at Scrabble on Facebook.  Is it because I is so good?

;D

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #316 on: April 13, 2011, 02:17:42 PM »

I sympathize, Poppy! I thought marrying an automotive engineer would help with the car issues, but I think many times it only makes them worse.

The other day my younger son ran around the corner from the playroom and said "Mom, Mom! You know that Kitty Boo is a marsupial for his feelings!"

He had been reading his National Geographic Tag Reader facts about animals. Kitty Boo is the name of his Kimochi Cat, which is a stuffed toy cat with a pocket on his front where you can place all of these different feelings - little soft circles with faces drawn on them and the name of the feeling on the back.

My little boy is obsessed with animals. We were in my room watching one of his television programs and he asked me what dinosaur I would want to be if I could be any. I had no idea how to answer so replied with one of his favorites, struthiominus. (sp?) He told me he would be a velociraptor. Then we got into what they ate and I told my son I had to be a herbivore because I did not like meat. He broke the news to me that Struthiominus is an omnivore as if here were telling me the most distressing news ever. Then he suggested I should be "Euplocephalus - they're stronger and mightier than Ankylosaurus!" They are also herbivores. I had to get him to tell me the name several times, then still had to look it up on the Internet to have a hope in the world of spelling it out.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #317 on: April 13, 2011, 04:52:03 PM »

"White Van Man"....I remember them!!  Do they still have billions of traffic cones on just about every motorway and A road in the UK?  I remember there used to be a toll-free number you could call to report traffic cones that were there for seemingly no reason at all.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #318 on: April 14, 2011, 01:30:13 AM »

Oh yes we have more orange traffic cones than people in the UK!
Especially on the A14 and A11 on my way to clinic.
I often get urge to drive at them and knock them all flying!  :rofl;  :rofl;  :rofl;

10 years of half a life
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #319 on: April 14, 2011, 04:54:33 AM »

Oh yes we have more orange traffic cones than people in the UK!
And don't most of them reside in uni student bedrooms?  Speaking of mislaid road signage items, when we moved into a rented flat there was a Lollipop Ladies sign in the cupboard.  When we moved out we just left it there; I really wish we'd brought it with us.  (I don't know why.)

MM, the BBC have just made a comedy called White Van Man - it's not bad, but I'm surprised it took so long because the opportunity for White Van Man comedy has been around for aeons.  Do you have White Van Man in the States?

ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #320 on: April 14, 2011, 07:18:58 AM »

Going to a redwings game today - it is a "teambuilding" for our department. We get the company's suite and get fed. lol

Looks like the weather will co-operate. Hope the wings win!

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #321 on: April 14, 2011, 07:49:32 AM »

ODAT, that's the best way to see a sports team. Have fun and good luck to the wings.

I actually have real clothes on for the first time in days and am going to attempt to go out and get some things done: labs, buy a present for one of my son's friends, perhaps grab some groceries. I contracted shingles AGAIN (last time in 2007, followed by baby getting chicken pox from me, also contracting coxsackie which gave me viral meningitis which almost killed me. I HATE YOU, HERPES ZOSTER!!!) My left leg feels like it's been badly burnt, but I see improvement today - I don't want to run into a hospital and shout just amputate already!! I am staying away from narcotics as long as possible so that I can drive without being a danger. I can take Ibuprofen again! Finally seeing how the other half lives! :)

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #322 on: April 14, 2011, 07:58:10 AM »

Shingles?  Yikes.  I've never had the misfortune, but I know people who have and I understand that it is incredibly painful.  You poor thing.  Enjoy the Ibuprofen! *huggles*

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #323 on: April 14, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »

Shingles?  Yikes.  I've never had the misfortune, but I know people who have and I understand that it is incredibly painful.  You poor thing.  Enjoy the Ibuprofen! *huggles*

Aw thanks, Poppy. Wow, is there anything that huggles can't cure? :)

Success - got my labs drawn and a trip to Target. How I spent $160 I don't know, but Easter candy, present and card for Aidan's good friend (Pokemon black version for Nintendo DS in case you are just dying to know...) presents to hang onto to give to the kids for their summer birthdays, and Clif bars for breakfast are all purchased.

Gee, I guess there's my answer to the high total, huh?

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #324 on: April 26, 2011, 07:56:51 AM »

Aw thanks, Poppy. Wow, is there anything that huggles can't cure? :)
Huggles cure?!

*gasp*

I'm slightly embarrassed now, and may keep all my *huggles* for myself ...

Following a two week Easter break and a Bank Holiday Monday, I had three hours at work this morning.  Wednesday's I don't work and I'll have four hours at work on Thursday before the long four-day Bank Holiday weekend (with thanks to Will and Kate).  Life is somewhat bliss. 

(and would be more blissful if there was no work involved at all)

;D

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »