I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 11:19:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Will someone talk to me? Pleease?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will someone talk to me? Pleease?  (Read 66376 times)
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #275 on: April 05, 2011, 03:46:53 PM »

Sugarlump 75 miles is nothing!!!  Hubby 105 km to go to his dialysis clinic 3 times a week for 6 years ( that's one way - 206km return)  The dialysis unit where we did the training for home hemo is 6 hours drive away!!!

Here's a picture of the ATV we bought today.  It was almost dark when I took the picture so I had to lighten it.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #276 on: April 05, 2011, 04:05:55 PM »

Ahh, the never ending wood heat - warm while you cut it, warm while you split it, warm while you stack it, warm while you haul it and warmest yet when you burn it.  My parents had kids so they didn't have to have a 4 wheeler to haul it!
I really don't miss it!

Invited an 88 year old friend to come along while I taught my volunteer craft class today.  One of the other students in the class asked her how we'd met.  She couldn't think of an answer, so they both looked at me. I rattled off, "She's my sister's husband's dad's mother-in-law by his second wife."  The general response from the class was "Huh?"  I tried again.  "My brother-in-law's step-mother's mother."  Still a lot of blank looks.  "We're over-extended family!"

Welcome to the modern family!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #277 on: April 05, 2011, 04:27:03 PM »

Sugarlump 75 miles is nothing!!!  Hubby 105 km to go to his dialysis clinic 3 times a week for 6 years ( that's one way - 206km return)  The dialysis unit where we did the training for home hemo is 6 hours drive away!!!

Here's a picture of the ATV we bought today.  It was almost dark when I took the picture so I had to lighten it.

See I think 20 miles to go to the supermarket is a long way!!! Everything in England is dinky in comparison!
I have never ever driven 6 hours anywhere would probably end up in the sea if I did!!!!  :rofl;  :rofl;  :rofl;

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #278 on: April 05, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »

See I think 20 miles to go to the supermarket is a long way!!! Everything in England is dinky in comparison!
I have never ever driven 6 hours anywhere would probably end up in the sea if I did!!!!  :rofl;  :rofl;  :rofl;

Ha ha.....Sugarlump, I have to drive 15 HOURS to see my daughter! And that is one way! And dang, that is a long day of driving!

:bow;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #279 on: April 05, 2011, 06:01:56 PM »

I think the worst thing about the distances in the US was being a kid with a dad who didn't ever want to stop when we were headed somewhere on vacation.  Northern Michigan to Southern Texas, 1800 miles, leave one morning, get there the next afternoon, no motel stops.  The floor of the backseat of the station wagon just isn't that great for sleeping - remember the hump in the middle?

For those of you in the UK - that's like the distance from Calais to Istanbul - in a day trip. 

And my dad would brag about it......"Left at 6 am and made it before lunchtime, even with having to stop to let the kids pee!"  If he could have convinced my Mom to put a porta-potty in the back and make everyone just crawl over the seats, he would have.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #280 on: April 05, 2011, 06:31:50 PM »

Fortunately my daughter is bilingual and came with me to the sessions . The dialysis tech's only English was yes, no and come on baby! Not a lot of help in a dialysis setting!!!
She lives in Clermont-Ferrand which was a wicked city to visit. I love France. Everything about it. Especially the food and drink.
Proudly climbed to the top of Puy-de-Dome (1650m) day after dialysis! my french not fantastic but can get by with a
"Parlez vous anglais?" and smile sweetly!!!!  :)

You brought back lovely memories.  I spent a year in Vichy at a language school which was under the control of the University of Clermont-Ferrand.  And we also SAW the Puy-de-Dome.  Why did you call Clermont-Ferrand a 'wicked city to visit'.  I found it quite quiet.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #281 on: April 05, 2011, 06:46:20 PM »

I think the worst thing about the distances in the US was being a kid with a dad who didn't ever want to stop when we were headed somewhere on vacation.  Northern Michigan to Southern Texas, 1800 miles, leave one morning, get there the next afternoon, no motel stops.  The floor of the backseat of the station wagon just isn't that great for sleeping - remember the hump in the middle?

For those of you in the UK - that's like the distance from Calais to Istanbul - in a day trip. 

And my dad would brag about it......"Left at 6 am and made it before lunchtime, even with having to stop to let the kids pee!"  If he could have convinced my Mom to put a porta-potty in the back and make everyone just crawl over the seats, he would have.

Just think about those Truck drivers.......  Like  Sluf.... and My hubby   ( ok I have driven truck too  )     1800 miles      its a cake walk.......   LOL

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #282 on: April 05, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »

Fortunately my daughter is bilingual and came with me to the sessions . The dialysis tech's only English was yes, no and come on baby! Not a lot of help in a dialysis setting!!!
She lives in Clermont-Ferrand which was a wicked city to visit. I love France. Everything about it. Especially the food and drink.
Proudly climbed to the top of Puy-de-Dome (1650m) day after dialysis! my french not fantastic but can get by with a
"Parlez vous anglais?" and smile sweetly!!!!  :)

You brought back lovely memories.  I spent a year in Vichy at a language school which was under the control of the University of Clermont-Ferrand.  And we also SAW the Puy-de-Dome.  Why did you call Clermont-Ferrand a 'wicked city to visit'.  I found it quite quiet.

wicked = good in English slang. Not that quiet she lives next door to cathedral literally very noisy bells! Great restaurants and bars and markets.And opposite town hall. Thay had very noisy strike underneath her apartment window lots of chanting and flag waving. The French and their strikes!!!!  :rofl;  :rofl;  :rofl;

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #283 on: April 06, 2011, 01:44:48 AM »

Sugarlump 75 miles is nothing!!! 
*chuckles* ... when you live on an over-populated island with too-many drivers using too-rubbishy roads, 75 miles is everything!  The road Sugarlump has to use is one of the worst in England for congestion, busy-ness and stupid lorries (trucks) who think it's okay to overtake another lorry going at the same speed, thus causing tailbacks for about five miles.  One day traffic in the UK will come to a complete standstill because they'll be too many drivers and too few roads (and nowhere to create new ones)!

And it doesn't help when the local bus company are cutting bus routes, and making bus journeys more expensive (but that's another rant, for another day ... ho-hum!)

I am ill.  Give me *huggles* ...

*grin*

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #284 on: April 06, 2011, 04:17:38 AM »

Hell I surpassed myself today arrived in 1hour and 11 minutes precisely. A record!!!!
Lewis Hamilton eat your heart out!!!!  ;D

10 years of half a life
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #285 on: April 06, 2011, 04:21:30 AM »

But the bad news is creatinine raised to 163, Biopsy number 3 Monday week. Ugh!  :( :(

10 years of half a life
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #286 on: April 06, 2011, 04:37:47 AM »

But the bad news is creatinine raised to 163, Biopsy number 3 Monday week. Ugh!  :( :(

Awww. Sugarlump.... :grouphug;

And *huggles* to you, too, Poppy!

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #287 on: April 06, 2011, 05:08:04 AM »

Thank you, Aleta. 

Oh, Sugar ... *huggles* (but yay for the quickness of your car!)

rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #288 on: April 06, 2011, 07:01:26 AM »

huggles to you Poppy!

sugarlump hope the biopsy goes well! sorry for the rising creatinine! boo!!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #289 on: April 06, 2011, 07:26:29 AM »

Well I've been here before so I guess I can weather the storm.   :(
So much for them taking me off the steroids now.

10 years of half a life
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #290 on: April 06, 2011, 07:28:46 AM »

Crikey, Sugar, you need a break. I first went into renal failure over 35 years ago, and I've only had 3 biopsies in my entire life. I'll be keeping a good thought for you on Monday (though I'll likely be sleeping when you have it done, we're six hours behind you after all). I'll dream positive dreams for you. Best of luck!

PS - calling you Sugar makes me feel like some doomed Southern Belle in a Tennessee Williams play. I am tempted to offer you a lemon Coke and dive into an elegiac speech about jonquils and gentleman callers from my disastrous youth on a decaying plantation.... :laugh:

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #291 on: April 06, 2011, 07:40:05 AM »

I had over 20 biopsies last time within 3 months when previous transplant failed.
This is biopsy number 3 within 3 months of new kidney. I've always known the odds were stacked against me again but sidney was doing so well...
Monday week thats the 18th for biopsy he gave me choice of this week or next thought I'd opt for the second give myself a bit of time .

A lemon coke would be fine, love the imagery always seen myself as a bit of a Scarlett O'hara!!!!  :)

10 years of half a life
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #292 on: April 07, 2011, 08:16:06 AM »

Urgh! Lemon coke is nasty!

Blokey had a letter from your surgeon (Dr. Chris) today, Sugar.  He doesn't know it yet though.  Yes, I open his post when it looks interesting.

*slaps wrist*

It's offering him the chance to be part of a drug trial when he gets his transplant.  I expect he'll go for it, knowing Blokey. 

How is Sidney behaving?

Oooh, I took a wander down to the vets today and picked up my baby girl Tabatha.  She's in a beautiful little pouch and came home with a lovely little certificate promising that she'd been individually cremated and that it was definitely her inside the pouch.  I had a little cry.  It was my second of the day; I'd enjoyed a sob earlier because whilst hanging out the washing I realised that I wasn't having to sidestep cat-poo (our lawn was her favourite litter-tray.) 

Also, I went to the bakers and bought a cream cake to share with Blokey this evening.  Yum.  (< this is emboldened because it's the Important Happy Bit.)

Now I'm going to indulge in some cold remedy and an old black & white scary film and probably fall asleep on my new massive settee. 

;D

Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #293 on: April 07, 2011, 09:38:45 AM »

Drug trial sounds interesting. Better research the drug before Blokey agrees though. even if it is my surgeon!!!!!
Sidney and me are having problems with our blood pressure at the moment, which is really annoying and I have to have biopsy Monday week to see if antibodies are causing problems again but otherwise doing ok. I'll ignore the rising creatinine until I have to deal with it!!!
Describe the cream cake so I can lust after it without any calories.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm   ;D
Not too sure the cold remedy will get the same reaction though  >:(
Enjoy the film  :2thumbsup;

10 years of half a life
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #294 on: April 07, 2011, 10:35:36 AM »

It's a reference to Blanche in Streetcar. She drinks them, but I think we are meant to understand that she is really indifferent to them, they are just a convenient carrier for the liquor.

One of my fondest memories of all time was seeing Suddenly Last Summer in the West End with Gwyn, who had never heard of Tennessee Williams, let alone seen one of his works. I think it's safe to say that the Brits did not really appreciate this work - it was closing early, poor things, but it is such a rare experience, seeing one his lesser known works in anything but a black box setting. We got our tickets at the half-price booth, and they seated us in the second row but we took it upon ourselves to sit in the empty rows behind the rest of the audience - it was so poorly attended that we were probably only halfway back. Rachel Weisz (I think that's the correct spelling) played the daughter, and she did well with the accent except the word 'nun' which she pronounced with her brisk, clipped British tones, when a genuine Southener could make that word and any other last for days. The woman who played Violet was miraculous - I really must look up her name. I believe she is one of the Grand Dames of the stage. I still remember chattering on with Gwyn before curtain, lights out, crack of thunder that made us both jump, and we were away. As I've always said to Gwyn, it's the best incest-lobotomy-cannibalism play he'll ever see.

The evening we saw the show, Gwyn and I had spent the day wandering around London, mostly drinking in pubs. I got so squiffy that I told him that if he wanted a green card, I'd marry him right there. He was not quite drunk enough to accept, and it would be another six months before he proposed. It seemed to mean a lot to him to get the green card for something other than marriage. We were desperate for food at one point, and ended up at Bar None, with all the waiters trained to behave like American servers. Our waiter put my plate in front of me and declared "Los Angeles!" and was heartbroken when I said "Oh, you're so very close. San Francisco, actually." I am not sure if it was my accent or my attire that tipped him off, but I remember I was wearing my linen suit with genuine placket, white shirt, and the most gorgeous yellow silk tie with blue dots that we had just purchased for Gwyn at Pink's. Gwyn tied it for me right there in the restaurant. I could have passed for a young Tennessee Williams at this point, at least from the back. Ah, young, stupid-but-fearless love, my heart does soar.  :guitar: :laugh:

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #295 on: April 07, 2011, 12:59:37 PM »

Sugarlump 75 miles is nothing!!! 
*chuckles* ... when you live on an over-populated island with too-many drivers using too-rubbishy roads, 75 miles is everything!  The road Sugarlump has to use is one of the worst in England for congestion, busy-ness and stupid lorries (trucks) who think it's okay to overtake another lorry going at the same speed, thus causing tailbacks for about five miles.  One day traffic in the UK will come to a complete standstill because they'll be too many drivers and too few roads (and nowhere to create new ones)!

And it doesn't help when the local bus company are cutting bus routes, and making bus journeys more expensive (but that's another rant, for another day ... ho-hum!)

I am ill.  Give me *huggles* ...

*grin*

Ever read the kid's book The Pushcart War? 
http://books.google.com/books?id=IdKMqmpvxH0C&pg=PA219&lpg=PA219&dq=the+pushcart+war+ebook&source=bl&ots=cz-hQKjNXv&sig=sLK0VLDManxTMGXETF6GdMsK7b4&hl=en&ei=jxWeTezNJobt0gGn_ZzNBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=the%20pushcart%20war%20ebook&f=false

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #296 on: April 07, 2011, 03:23:54 PM »

It's a reference to Blanche in Streetcar. She drinks them, but I think we are meant to understand that she is really indifferent to them, they are just a convenient carrier for the liquor.
Ah, I see.  I was going to say that I'd studied that at A'Level but a quick glance back at my bookcase says I'm wrong; it was Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.  Tennessee Williams is a popular playwright to study at A'Level over here.

Ever read the kid's book The Pushcart War? 
No, but it looks good!  I wonder if I can find it in the library.

Describe the cream cake so I can lust after it without any calories.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm   ;D
One word: Yummy.

;D

Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #297 on: April 07, 2011, 04:31:22 PM »

details taste shape colour cream etc mmmmmmmmmm feed my fantasy please say chocolate!!!!

10 years of half a life
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #298 on: April 08, 2011, 09:22:56 AM »

details taste shape colour cream etc mmmmmmmmmm feed my fantasy please say chocolate!!!!
Ha, no not chocolate.  In fact, it was just one of these, but with a few hundreds & thousands sprinkled on top.  And actually it wasn't as yummy as I made out; it was a little sickly sweet and I wish I'd got a shortbread biscuit-y type of thing instead.  ;D

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #299 on: April 08, 2011, 09:24:22 AM »

Today was my last day at work for two weeks and one day!  It's the Easter holidays!  Huzzah! And the weather is gorgeous.

;D

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »