I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:19:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Info needed on the procedure itself.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Info needed on the procedure itself.  (Read 23486 times)
MightyMike

Why do bad things always happen to good people?

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 07:57:18 PM »

How long did the operation take? About 6 hours

For a live donor.  Mom went about an hour before me.

When you come out of theatre do they put you in ICU with the rest of the people or in isolation? ICU

How long are you in ICU / Highcare? Two days but in hospital 2 weeks rejected right away but kidney was functional

Do they put the new kidney in on the left or right? (I know it goes in the lower abdominal front area) Right

How long is the cut? 12 inches

Do you need someone to care for you at home? No, I did everything for myself, I just did it much much slower for awhile.  Couldnt drive for 4 weeks, so needed a chauffer for doc visits.

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
   -Walter Bagehot
==========================
December 2003 diagnosed with IgA Nephropathy 80% Function.
October 2004 started In-Center Hemo Dialysis Perma-Cath 5% Function.
September 2005 Living Related Donor (Mother) Transplant.
March 2009 Diagnosed CKD and IgA Nephropathy.
August 2009 Upper Left Arm Fistula.
November 2009 started In-Center Hemo Dialysis.
December 2010 started Home Hemo Dialysis.
January 2012 went back to In-Center Hemo Dialysis.
4thsiblingondialysis

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 03:11:46 PM »

I received my live donor transplant about 5 months ago.

My operation took about 5 hours.  The doc said he wished all of his donors and recipients were like both of us because we were both healthy and relatively thin :)

My donor did go in about 1 hour prior to me going in.

I did not go to ICU actually.  I went directly to a single bed room from the post recovery area.  I was in the hospital for 5 days.  Then I went home.

My kidney went into the right lower abdominal area.  The surgeon said they prefer to take a left kidney and put it in the right side because there are less arteries etc to be cut in the surgery.

My cut is about 8 inches.

I did need someone to take care of me for about 2 weeks.  I was really weak.  Then I was able to do everything except drive until 4 weeks passed.

Hope that helps!

PS I think the hardest thing for me post transplant was to get into a routine with my meds so I created a list that was broken down for am and pm which really helped!!!!

ESRD due to PKD
Hemodialysis 16 months
Living Donor Transplant 3/27/12
Have 3 siblings all who have had transplants
raidym

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 10:43:47 AM »

I really like this post as I find myself a little fixated on whats gonna happen. So thanks everyone for the info. You always hear how everyone recovers differently. But this post shows just how differently and what speed it happens..

"Laugh or you might cry"
SooMK

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 08:34:11 AM »

I really appreciate reading this thread. I'm starting to obsess about some of these details so this is all great info.

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »

I have had two transplants. Both ops were from cadaver transplants. (That phone call out of the blue)
Both ops took about 6 hours. In recovery for 1 hour.
The first one I went to surgery as soon as I arrived, 2 weeks recovery on general transplant ward.
The second one was a 12 hour delay partly because of weather (a snowstorm) and partly due to a crossmatch problem.
I spent 10 days on general transplant ward although the kidney did not work for first 7 days at all.
Recovery at home is a good 6 weeks to be honest.
My first transplant went in left side.
My second in the right side.
So I now have 4 kidneys!!!!

Sadly the first one stopped working after 3 months, after I caught a CMV infection from the donor kidney.

My second transplant, despite a very slow start and severe antibody problems with one tiny tiny gene, lasted 12 months.
I had a year off from dialysis and I traveled to America. I l really lived that year! So I do not regret anything.
Eventually it lost its fight against the antibodies.

The chances of a third are slim. But I never give up hope.

Transplants don't always succeed. The drugs DO have a lot of side effects. There are risks.
It is important to go into the process with your eyes open.

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
raj_blr

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 09:08:09 PM »

Hi,
I got my transplant on 3rd jan 2014 from my wife ( living donor).

I have documented the actual procedure (India)  here - http://rmishra111.wordpress.com. I hope this would be helpful to folks who like me are apprehensive about he procedure itself.

Thanks,
Raj

Kidney Disease: IGA Nephropathy
Since: 2001
ESRD: Nov 2012.
Fistula Done: Aug 2012 ( third surgery was successful, first two failed).
Dialysis start date: 10th Nov 2012.
PD Catheter inserted: Mid 2013
PD ( at home nightly) start: July 2013
Transplant done: 3rd Jan 2014
Donor: Living donor, my wife
Surgery Done: Apollo Hospitals, Bangalore, India
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2014, 03:37:59 PM »

I have had 2 deceased donor transplants. The first was when I was 13 years old (1996) and my second was just 7 months ago.
They were both out of the blue phone calls saying a kidney was available.
My kidney i just received was a 1am phone call. was then told I could relax till I had to be at the hospital by 6am... whos kidding though, you cant sleep when you have news like that. I was hyped!

It took 24 hrs. of staying in a hospital room having cross match tests and 2 hours of dialysis prior to transplant time.  It made for a long and anxious day of waiting! Very emotional!!! I was taking down to the OR by 2am the next day and very cool that I saw my kidney come off the elevator aside of me and went into the OR knowing my kidney wa s in the organ box next to me!!  :2thumbsup; I was highly sensitized at 100% but found 6/6 match!

Surgery took 2.5 hours. My first transplant the kidney was put on my right side. This transplant they put my kidney on the left side, due to scaring from a nephrectomy. The incision is about 6in. long starts a little above my bellybutton. I spent a day in ICU on the transplant floor.
I was in the hospital for 7 days thought things were going great. Was sent home but ended up returning less then 24 hours later due to my
hyper active parathyroid. So that was a different situation then most people.
The worst was having to wait while they do the testing prior to transplant that day. Otherwise things seemed to go well. I did have my husband and family around to help with everything, especially since I had a 3 year old. I was also very week from all the weight I lost in the hospital. My family was a huge support!
  7 months post TX and going strong!!  :2thumbsup;

Best of luck all !!! :cuddle;

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
raidym

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2014, 05:38:56 AM »

I've just been checking through some topic's that I commented on and came across this one. Oh my how times change I got the call and had my transplant on the 13 of June 2013. So I'm almost a year in from my transplant. Things have went really well for me it was pretty straight forward and I've had no complications thank goodness.

How long did the operation take? 5 hrs went in at around 9pm and was out at around 2pm

For a live donor. - did you and the donor go in at the same time? It wasn't a living donor my sister was going through her testing but never got the chance to donate. I feel glad she didn't have to go through it all.

When you come out of theatre do they put you in ICU with the rest of the people or in isolation? A transplant wing.

How long are you in ICU / Highcare? 24 hrs I think

Do they put the new kidney in on the left or right? (I know it goes in the lower abdominal front area) Mine is on the right.

How long is the cut? Not sure never measured

Do you need someone to care for you at home? Oh yes my sisters where brilliant and wouldn't let me do a thing. Felt very pampered and cared for

Sorry for all the questions - lots more to come.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:41:39 AM by raidym » Logged

"Laugh or you might cry"
inga

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 11:09:38 AM »

I really like reading this thread. Anyone else have answers about the procedure itself? Those are excellent questions!
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 12:25:23 PM »

How long did the operation take? I think they said about 3 hours. I have few memories of anything from the time they put me under through the following day. I kept falling asleep.

For a live donor. - did you and the donor go in at the same time? Deceased donor.

When you come out of theatre do they put you in ICU with the rest of the people or in isolation? no. I think I was in a curtained post-op area until I came out of the anesthetic, and then back to my own room in an abdominal surgery ward.

How long are you in ICU / Highcare? Zero. I woke up back in the room I started from. A tiny little closet to myself.

Do they put the new kidney in on the left or right? (I know it goes in the lower abdominal front area) right

How long is the cut? about 5 - 6 inches. It's a large kidney, they said maybe from a tall man.

Do you need someone to care for you at home? It was a transplant requirement. I still think I would've been mostly ok on my own.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »