I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:51:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  The Dialysis Drink (NEPRO)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dialysis Drink (NEPRO)  (Read 29328 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: March 05, 2011, 07:32:23 AM »

I order a case of this 8oz drink to keep on hand when I don't have time to eat right.  It is high in protein, low in potassium, and phosphorus and carb steady.

Read more   www.nepro.com

:thumbup;

PS  The Butter Pecan is the best.......

BillSharp

rock 'n roll will never die

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 10:40:04 AM »

Thanks for this Rerun. I'm going to try some. I have been using drinks called "Pure Protein," which helps my protein levels.

Started passing stones at age 14 (Cystinuria)
Transplant in 1989 at age 50
Transplant failed in 2009 at age 70
Hemo and transplant list
Cadaver Transplant 7/1/2011 at age 72 (zero mismatch)
greg10

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 11:47:25 AM »

These premixed whey protein drinks are very common in hospitals and clinics, together with Suplena, which has half the protein.  I don't really know what Abbott, the maker of Nepro, means by "Carb Steady", it is just high in calories—1.8 Cal/mL, and it stays around quite a while.  If you are diabetic, watch out, and even if you are not, watch out.  The carbohydrates are from maltodextrin - basically digested corn starch.

If you would like an alternative, try a high quality powder whey protein isolate (very little carb, about 2g per 35 g serving), blend it with 8 to 10 pieces of chopped celery and/or a piece of fruit, add one to two teaspoon of light cooking oil (we like grape seed oil) with 2 to 4 oz of water or light juice.  I think Zach may have good recipes on whey protein shakes and ice creams as well.

Personally, I don't like any of these shelf stabilized liquid protein drinks with high carbs.  Even a small amount gives me a headache which could be due to the high carbs or some added stabilizer.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:50:54 PM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »

So funny to be talking about Nepro.  Bo's dr just gave us 2 samples as his albumin is too low.  I thought it pretty tasty, but he doesnt like thickish drinks which is a shame to me.  . ..... So, we asked at the nxStage site what might be another good thing and many liked LiquiCel.  (others the Nupro) so incase someone else doesnt like the Nepro, ya might try  LiquaCel.. It's ment ro raise the albumin so we shall see.  Good reviews over there on it, and you just take one little ounce for 16 protien.  Like i said,,, we shall see.   

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »

Allow me to disagree.  The berry is the best, but, quite frankly, they all taste like crap!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 08:10:20 AM »

These premixed whey protein drinks are very common in hospitals and clinics, together with Suplena, which has half the protein.  I don't really know what Abbott, the maker of Nepro, means by "Carb Steady", it is just high in calories—1.8 Cal/mL, and it stays around quite a while.  If you are diabetic, watch out, and even if you are not, watch out.  The carbohydrates are from maltodextrin - basically digested corn starch.

If you would like an alternative, try a high quality powder whey protein isolate (very little carb, about 2g per 35 g serving), blend it with 8 to 10 pieces of chopped celery and/or a piece of fruit, add one to two teaspoon of light cooking oil (we like grape seed oil) with 2 to 4 oz of water or light juice.  I think Zach may have good recipes on whey protein shakes and ice creams as well.

Personally, I don't like any of these shelf stabilized liquid protein drinks with high carbs.  Even a small amount gives me a headache which could be due to the high carbs or some added stabilizer.

Again.... I like Nepro when I don't have time to "blend 8 to 10 pieces of chopped celery and or fruit and add this and that "
I keep it around so I don't end up at the drive thru at McDonalds! 

YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 08:16:02 AM »

First things first: The Butter pecan is the best.  :rofl;

I have a friend who lives out here in Orange County that I have known since I was about 5 back in Connecticut.  She buys me a couple of cases for me to have in the house.  It is great to have around.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 10:39:37 PM »

Does anyone know if it's available in OZ?

Galvo
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 03:05:49 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:42:54 PM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »

There is also the drink NovaSource Renal.
http://www.cwimedical.com/Product/HomecareCaregiver/2908

More expensive than Nepro, but it doesn't contain sugar alcohol which can cause gas and diarrhea in some people if used too often.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »

Thanks, Henry. What think you of the product?

Galvo
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 10:29:09 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:43:20 PM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
DomJDavis1985

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 05:45:35 AM »

yes this drink is pretty good...in my dialysis clinic those of us who suffer from constant low protein get to choose between a nepro shake, protein bar, or a liquid medicine to take in the middle of each treatment to boost our protein, i usually choose one of these (if they are cold) or a protein  bar..and yes they are made specifically for Renal patients!!!!  :cheer: :cheer:
greg10

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 06:00:50 AM »

As Zach indicated, there are alternatives with less carbs and less sugar alcohols.

http://abbottnutrition.com/Products/nepro-with-carb-steady
Nepro w Carb Steady Impr Carb Ready-to-Drink Mixed Berry Inst / 8-fl-oz Bottle /
Case of 24

Water, Corn Syrup Solids, Caseinates (Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium), High Oleic
Safflower Oil, Canola Oil, Milk Protein Isolate, Sugar (Sucrose), Corn
Maltodextrin, Glycerine, Short-Chain Fructooligosaccharides. Less than 1.0% of
the Following: Soy Lecithin, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Calcium Citrate,
Sodium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Choline Chloride, Salt (Sodium Chloride),
Ascorbic Acid, L-Carnitine, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, d-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate,
Ferrous Sulfate, Niacinamide, FD&C Red #3, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine
Hydrochloride, Manganese Sulfate, Cupric Sulfate, Thiamine Chloride
Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, FD&C Blue #1, Vitamin A Palmitate, Magnesium
Phosphate, Folic Acid, Chromium Chloride, Biotin, Sodium Molybdate, Potassium
Iodide, Sodium Selenate, Phylloquinone, Cyanocobalamin, and Vitamin D3.
Contains milk and soy ingredients. Gluten-free; suitable for lactose intolerance.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:03:37 AM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
billmoria

Living life to my max

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »

Just starrted with product. Used as 3 pm meal prior to my 5:30 - 11:00 pm dialysis. (We are served a sandwich at about pm. First impressions are good. Sugar was 6 (UK scale - US about 110) at 6:30.

WMoriarty
KrazeeBrod

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 09:37:08 PM »

They give me Nepro every time I go in for dialysis.  I didn't like any of them except the berry, and the protein bars are junky tasting, so berry is my choice.  I do wait until toward the end of dialysis or till after I get home, because it seems to give me diarrhea often.  But it helps keep my albumin up.   :bandance;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »