I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 07:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  More Money, More Problems!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: More Money, More Problems!  (Read 4705 times)
sammiejo23

Quand la vie devient dure, deviens plus dure.

« on: March 04, 2011, 10:13:07 PM »

Medical bills are ridiculous. I found out today that I got denied the financial aid I needed for my hospital stays last month...they assured us when I applied that it would be based on my income alone as I'm of age and financially responsible for myself (for the most part, anyways) and that I should be eligible. Well, they lied. They went off my entire household's income...even though I'm technically only back home temporarily, and now, I've been denied. My family absolutely does not have the money to help me out, and I wouldn't ask it of them anyways, and I'm currently unemployed (as if I couldn't make that any clearer to them). I guess they expect me to pull this money out of my  :sir ken;?:( I'm going to be in debt for the rest of my life thanks to this! It really sucks...

01/05/2011-Full Right Nephrectomy (Malignant Tumors)
01/24/2011-Permacath Placed; Dialysis Started
01/28/2011-Fistula Placed
Current: In-Center Hemodialysis/3x a week
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 10:20:21 PM »

I hate to criticise your wonderful country, sammiejo, but from all I hear, your health system stinks.

Galvo
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:28:19 PM »

Does your mom or dad have a group health insurance policy?  One of the conditions of Obamacare that went into effect is kids can stay on parent's group insurance policies until age 26 - as long as the policy allows for the insured's kids to be on it.  Check with them.  This could be a financial lifesaver for you.

Medical bills are ridiculous. I found out today that I got denied the financial aid I needed for my hospital stays last month...they assured us when I applied that it would be based on my income alone as I'm of age and financially responsible for myself (for the most part, anyways) and that I should be eligible. Well, they lied. They went off my entire household's income...even though I'm technically only back home temporarily, and now, I've been denied. My family absolutely does not have the money to help me out, and I wouldn't ask it of them anyways, and I'm currently unemployed (as if I couldn't make that any clearer to them). I guess they expect me to pull this money out of my  :sir ken;?:( I'm going to be in debt for the rest of my life thanks to this! It really sucks...

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
DomJDavis1985

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:31:05 PM »

thats weird..because i thought that once u were on Dialysis  you were already approved for Medicare....and that is supposed to cover expenses for 3 months prior to the date you are approved..unless i am confused...
PatDowns

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 10:33:52 PM »

Medicare, when it is primary insurnace, only covers 80% of approved charges.  The insured is responsible for the remaining 20%. 

thats weird..because i thought that once u were on Dialysis  you were already approved for Medicare....and that is supposed to cover expenses for 3 months prior to the date you are approved..unless i am confused...

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
sammiejo23

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 10:36:08 PM »

I am on my mom's insurance plan still, but they won't cover everything. I think it's 80%, if I remember right, but that still leaves me with a lot of bills to pay.

sammiejo23

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 10:37:06 PM »

I can't keep that stuff straight, ha. Everybody says something different about it all! But I'm applying for Medicare, I talked to my social worker today and she gave me the paperwork, so we'll see what happens.

PatDowns

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 10:43:19 PM »

Seems that the "rules" are always changing.  However, if you are livng at home and on your mom's insurance policy, then the full household would be in effect when considered for financial aid.  You can appeal.  If your parents did not include you as a dependent on last year's income tax return, that should help.  Oh, get those medicare papers filled out and sent in ASAP.

I am on my mom's insurance plan still, but they won't cover everything. I think it's 80%, if I remember right, but that still leaves me with a lot of bills to pay.

Dialysis prescription:
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 12:46:29 AM »

I am so sorry to hear this, SammieJo.  I agree with galvo, our country SUCKS when it comes to healthcare!  I am one of the fortunate ones, I work full time and have what appears to be excellent insurance.  This is what you need to do.  Get a job with the phone company.  It's usually a union position, and the benefits are outstanding, to say the least.  (I know, I know, easier said than done. Especially in today's economy.)  We're all pulling for you! Heck, if anything, write a letter to Obama and Senators Murray and Cantwell telling them of your plight.  We need to get the word out about this!  No one should have to suffer kidney failure at such a young age, and to have to suffer medical bills right along with it is just wrong.  Let me know if you need any help.  I can write a good letter when I feel passionate about the subject!

Take care,
Karen

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 01:50:06 AM »

I am sorry to read this, SammieJo.

I know from my own experience
that it is very humiliating
and hurts very much
to be in such a situation.

Take care and good luck from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Tracy

Loved the Movie!

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »

Please let me know if I am wrong, but the reason I didn't apply for Medicare is because they said it would cost me about $110 a month.  I already pay almost $300 a month for private insurance with my full time job.  I was like I just can't afford another $110.  Is that right? 

Good Luck!!  :cuddle;

Thanks, Tracy

9/1990 Found out I have Type 1 Diabetes
7/2008 Told I have GFR 30
2/2009 Kidney/Pancreas Transplant
5 days later, both removed due to massive rejection
Back on List
2/26/10 Fistula placed
3/11/10 Told GFR 9
5/14/10 Started in center Hemo
Waiting on another Transplant
sammiejo23

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »

Tracy, yeah that's what I was told!

paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 09:20:56 AM »

Thats right tracey.  But after 30 months your primary insurance will stop and then medicare will kick in.  I am in the same boat.  But i will keep my private insurance even after medicare kicks in.  To pay the 20% differnce and also for prescriptions.

Unless thre is a better way??

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 09:45:04 AM »

I'm where Paul.Karen are.  Medicare as primary and private insurance as secondary.  All I have to pay is copay on perscriptions and copays on Dr. visits.  SammieJ - keep talking to your social worker - there has to be a way out of this for you!
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 03:46:17 PM »

Yes, I'd talk to a social worker, I'm sure a good social worker would have some options. I'd also ask the hospital why you were denied as I work part time and still was approved for financial aid.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 05:58:18 PM »

I can't keep that stuff straight, ha. Everybody says something different about it all! But I'm applying for Medicare, I talked to my social worker today and she gave me the paperwork, so we'll see what happens.
Don't forget to apply for Social Security Disabiilty too.  Having renal failure qualifies you for both.

Once Medicare becomes your primary insurer, it will pay 80% of the cost.  Then your mom's insurance plan should pay around 80% of the rest, leaving you on the hook to pay only 4% out of pocket.  That you should be able to pay out of the SS Disability paychecks.

brandi1leigh

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »

Also talk to your social worker about applying to one of the National Kidney organization's funds that help pay for premiums. I don't pay for my Medicare or private insurance because a national charity pays the premiums for me.
kamar55

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 09:26:06 PM »

Also talk to your social worker about applying to one of the National Kidney organization's funds that help pay for premiums. I don't pay for my Medicare or private insurance because a national charity pays the premiums for me.

I thought I'd be in debt forever, too. I had Medicare paying 80%, but 20% is a lot left if you're talking about a hundred thousand dollars to begin with. 2 years ago my dialysis social worker told me the National Kidney fund would pay premiums for secondary insurance (State Farm) which is about $10k/year. It's been a godsend. Anything that Medicare won't pay for, State Farm does. I pay nothing any more....no hospital, no drs., no dialysis, no meds. It's great knowing my family won't have $$$$$ debt to pay when I'm gone.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:27:19 PM by kamar55 » Logged

Want unconditional love? Want a friend for life? Adopt an animal from your local shelter. It's a win, win situation!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »