I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 04:17:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hemoglobin decrease...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hemoglobin decrease...  (Read 7350 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: March 02, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »

Well today I got a call from my clinic and was told to stop taking my EPO..... they said that my hemoglobin was too high.....  I ask how high and I was told that I am at 11.6..... I was told that the new protocol was to have my hemoglobin at 10.5.....  so they said that they will check it again next month....  So  I have been taking 10000 u  twice per week for a year and my hemoglobin has always been between 10.3 and 11.6.... My hemoglobin usually goes up when they give me some iron..... 

they told me that everyone in the clinic will have to hold their EPO for a while untill they can get everyone in the 10 for hemoglobin..... This is very said....   so many people will have to be tired now because of this new bundling program with Medicare....  I sure wish that  CMS would of had a higher range....10 to 12 is not right for everyone...

Again its all about the  payment...... money over rules how a person feels.....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:32:34 PM »

I was told the same thins recently.  Stop the EPO, IV iron instead.  New regs.   It's cheaper.....  I feel your pain!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 04:24:42 PM »

wow. really?

Our protocol was to try and keep us around 110-120 (11.0-12.0). We'd do a mixture of IV iron (usually monthly) and then epo or aranesp shots (seemed to depend on which neph preferred which product as to who got what, which seemed a bit weird to me).

Of course money not really an issue in our system.. thank god.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:30:23 PM »

My rotten hemoglobin is at 76. Two units of blood to be transfused into me tomorrow. They still can't figure out why it is so low. Any ideas?

Galvo
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:32:18 PM »

Galvo....  do you take EPO....shots...  they should be giving these to you in center...

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 01:04:30 AM »

In SA they want it to be 12. they only increase/decrease when it goes higher/lower than that.

If it is too high you will clot often in the machine.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 03:33:03 AM »

Yeah, tyefly, I get iron and aranesp weekly. To-morrow will be my 4th blood transfusion in 3 weeks. I do not appear to be bleeding and have had a gastroscapy and an colonoscopy, neither of which found anything.

Galvo
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 05:39:45 AM »

Along these lines, just curious how many of us give our own EPO shots?  I do, do you?
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 05:47:21 AM »

I do my own shots - Neorecormon - which is a single syringe. I was on Aranesp which I found way more painful but had to stop it for a while as my haemoglobin went too high. And when I recommenced EPO it was the Neorecorman.
Galvo, this sounds pretty serious. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 07:16:37 AM »

Of course money not really an issue in our system.. thank god.

I think all governments are concerned with rising healthcare costs.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 10:15:57 AM »

My husband injects his self once a month with Epoetin beta or Mercia as it is known. Doc says he is to reduce the volume. This is first time for 2 years that he has had iron infusions. Do not know why he has lost iron in the last 6 weeks. They say it happens.
greg10

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »

they told me that everyone in the clinic will have to hold their EPO for a while untill they can get everyone in the 10 for hemoglobin..... This is very said....   so many people will have to be tired now because of this new bundling program with Medicare....  I sure wish that  CMS would of had a higher range....10 to 12 is not right for everyone...

Again its all about the  payment...... money over rules how a person feels.....
Hi Tyefly.  You are right to say everyone is different, but I do not see the CMS regulation negatively affecting the health of a dialysis patient.  I come down on erring on the side of caution and being a little tired versus a clotting problem or a stroke - and we ended up often with half empty vials of EPO in the fridge to show for it.  Our HGb readings are done every treatment and they have been in the range of 10 to 12 g/dL and our clinic/nephrologist have not been short in giving us plenty of EPO supplies.  We have been withholding EPO whenever levels reach around 11.5 because we know the readings can be easily be off by 0.5 g/dL.  We will often see overshoot readings, eg. last one was 12.3 g/dL.

The 11 g/dL to 12 g/dL level is a compromise, but not one that is cost related.  It is one based on risk and quality of life.

The studies are overwhelming regarding the risk of high erythropoeitin levels:
The New FDA label For Erythropoietin Treatment: Problems with Clinical Guidelines for Target Hb

Availability of ESAs has improved the lives of millions of patients with kidney disease, cancer, and other anemic states. Treatment results in reduced need for blood transfusion and improved quality of life. However, recent studies have suggested potential risk for increased mortality with treatment to higher Hb targets. The recent change in prescribing information for ESA drugs, by the FDA, was an attempt to protect patient safety in light of these studies. It is possible, however, that the language used was excessively cautious, potentially promoting insufficient anemia treatment with failure to appropriately and compassionately treat fatigue and restore compromised quality of life. During ESA treatment in kidney disease, an Hb target of 11-12 g/dl should permit significant quality of life improvement while avoiding the risk associated with higher Hb targets (Figure 1).

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 04:30:07 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:12:13 PM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 06:29:41 PM »

I am more concerned about feeling good....  I know that I dont feel good when my hemoglobin is at 10 or 10.5..  and feel better when its 11.5...  I have never been in the 12 or higher...  I have not had any problems with clotting on the machine....
Some people may feel ok in the 10  but some of us feel better at a higher level...  I am really feeling good now.. doing dialysis everyday ..hemoglobin and iron levels are great in my opinion.. 
  I have been using the same amount of EPO for over a year....  my labs have been really good...  ( some times I need IV iron and that does make a difference..) but why now do we need to stop taking EPO  or  start using a reduced rate....   I think its all about the 2% payment that they will loose if we are out of range.. of 10-12 ...  I guess I hate the thought that we have to have a lessor quality of life so they can get the full payment....
  Maybe I just dont get it.... 

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 05:15:38 AM »

Lowest my HG has been was 10.4.  I can tell you from my experience that i couldnt work. COuldnt walk up my stairs at night.  COuld barley stay awake at work.  Tired easily.

If they want to keep me at 10 or 11 i will have to quit my job.  Doing it at 10.4 for a month was bad enough.  I was told i had to get SICKER before they could make me feel better.  As in my HG had to be at 10 before i got a shot.  Thankfully my neph made some calls and got me the epo i needed.  It went up to 12-12.5 and i felt great could do my work and walk up my stairs.

The new bundling plan may be ok for people who dont work or have anything to do all day long.  For people who work it is BAD BAD BAD.  WE ARE ALL DIFFERNT should not be lumped as a whole.

So it souldns like they want people like me who work and pay taxes to stop working and live of the system.  I cant funtion with my HG that low unless i stop working and sit at home all day long.

Since i qualify for disability maybe i should just take it.  I hate payng taxs anyhow may as well live of others Social Justice maybe ill join the craze.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 08:06:20 PM »

Yeah, tyefly, I get iron and aranesp weekly. To-morrow will be my 4th blood transfusion in 3 weeks. I do not appear to be bleeding and have had a gastroscapy and an colonoscopy, neither of which found anything.

That's a lot of transfusions in a short period.  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »

I think those of us like me who have private insurance ought to be excluded from the bundling plan. My hg is 9.1 and it took me screaming at my neph to raise my epo, and they did so we'll see where it is next check.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 04:19:20 PM »

I agree.... I guess its all about the money again.....  Center doesnt want to pay any more than it has to...and they dont want to loose the 2% of the bundled payment.....

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 04:27:36 PM »

I agree.... I guess its all about the money again.....  Center doesnt want to pay any more than it has to...and they dont want to loose the 2% of the bundled payment.....

American exceptionalism once again... ::)

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
calypso

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 07:20:45 PM »

My rotten hemoglobin is at 76. Two units of blood to be transfused into me tomorrow. They still can't figure out why it is so low. Any ideas?

Some of the causes of anemia are as folllows:

infection
bleeding
low iron
malnutrition
uremia (yes getting your BUN down helps)

Any of these ring a bell?

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
billmoria

Living life to my max

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 07:30:47 PM »

In our unit (UK) if your hemogloban drops below 11 u get epo' aws ot rises  above 11 you g get less ane if it keep going up none. I am not sure that being tired is entirely related to wether you get epo or not.

WMoriarty
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 08:43:33 PM »

Are you taking extra folic acid?

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »

I am worried b/c my hemoglobin has been 16 lately!!! They stopped the EPO...but I am freaking out that I am going to have a stroke!!!

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 12:26:17 AM »

ps I have to say I feel great!

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »