I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 11:49:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2211 times)
cfmosher

« on: March 01, 2011, 04:52:12 PM »

Hi my name is Carrie.  I have been on dialysis for 4 years now. Three years on PD and then switched to home hemo.  Found it to hard to work and do four exchanges a day.  Like hemo but am worried about travelling.  I have summer and spring breaks off and this will be my first spring break on hemo.  I normally would go somewhere but I am not sure how this all works.  I know you have to find a dailysis clinic and book appt. for treatments.  That is about all I know. Would like some tips and advise on travel with hemodialysis.  I love cuba has anyone been there and done hemo there?  Been there on PD and had no problems and would love to go back.  Does anyone have any suggestion on other places to go.  It was -37 today and can't stand the thought of not getting away this break.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:13:07 PM »

Hi Carrie and welcome to IHD!   :welcomesign;   My hubby does home hemo with NxStage which allows us to travel pretty much at will.  We just take it along with us.  I don't know if that's an option for you or not but might be worth checking into. 
'
Good luck in your travels, stay safe.

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:55:19 PM »

G'day Carrie and :welcomesign;. I can't help you with an answer but someone here will.

Galvo
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:24:32 PM »

:welcomesign; Welcome to IHD. I do not have answers but am interested in reading the other responses.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:32:49 AM »

:welcomesign; Carrie!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:50:13 AM »

Hi, Carrie, and welcome to the group.  Do you have a social worker?  I understand the social worker can help you find a clinic wherever you are traveling.  Just a thought.  Glad you found us!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 08:33:08 AM »

Hi Carrie, where do you live?  I didn't know people could even go to Cuba and get out!  My gosh there are LOTS of places better to go.  How about Libya (HA  JUST KIDDING)  Do you live in the United States?

Welcome to IHD, I'm so glad you found us.  Lots of information on here.  I would suggest that you stay close to home the first time you travel very far.  You should still have a Social Worker that should arrange travel, but if yours is an idiot than you can make arrangements yourself.  There is dialysisfinder.com (i think) that you just put in the zip code of where you are going and it brings up all the dialysis centers in that area.  You have to have a recent chest X-ray and recent labs and Hepatitis shots updated.  Usually! 

Rerun, Moderator   :welcomesign;

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 07:44:35 AM »

:bump;

WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 07:51:49 AM »

I do nocturnal PD with my trusty machine.  I have traveled a  little with the machine with no problems, airports were really good about me keeping my machine on the plane with me.  Anyway, can't really address the hemo question.  Sorry.  Good luck with your travels and  :welcomesign;

:flower;
Diane
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »