I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:20:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  13 years later....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 13 years later....  (Read 3407 times)
brenda

« on: January 02, 2007, 09:56:22 PM »

I've been a very self care home hemodialysis patient for 13 years. Mostly things have gone a easy as they could. I am fortunate to have my original fistula that works great. I don't have high potasium or high blood pressure. I run 3x's a week for 3 1/2 hours. I will be going nocturnal later this year. I havew three grown children and a beautiful little granddaughter. I worked full time all my life until surgery. Recently I had my parathyroid removed (well 4 out of 5). Here in Canada we have no means it seems to locate the 5th one. It has kicked in harder than any of the 4 I lost. What to do , what to do? They assume it lies by my heart, just another assumption. Here, the only answer they have for me is to open my entire breast bone and go on a treasure hunt! Don't think so. Not that the other alternative is much better. I do like that my calcium has got under control and after 13 years I can have milk product again. Dairy Queen know's me on a first name basis. Love that 1/2 chocolate, 1/2 strawberry sundae. The milkshakes arn't too bad either. Anyway , there's my scoop. Anybody else blessed with more than 4?

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 10:04:10 PM »

Brenda, Welcome Hope you enjoy the site as much as I can.

In relation to the Parathyroid Hormone, gee you got lucky didn't you. :'(

Hope you find the answer in what to do, bit of a toughie HUH?

Anyway keep Dairy Queening! Love How you say there's my scoop, all I thought about was ice cream, especially since today is over 33degrees here where I live.

mmmmmmmmmmmm Ice Cream mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm LOL

See You Around Tamara xxx ooo :cuddle;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 12:29:20 AM »

:welcomesign; Brenda

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 01:25:08 AM »

Welcome Brenda, good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 02:58:57 AM »

:welcomesign;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 03:28:24 AM »

Welcome to IHD Brenda,

Nice introduction. You love Dairy Queen so you just have to be a great person.    :thumbup;

13 years makes you a professional.  ;)  I'm glad that things are going fairly well for you, I'm sure you will feel at home in our family here at IHD.

-Sluff
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 03:54:39 AM »

Real good to have you here with us!
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 05:46:25 AM »

A great big welcome to you, Brenda!  You don't know how much I love to hear from those who have been on dialysis for a while.  It gives me much hope.  I have a 3 year old grandson whom I want to see grow up.  You have much to offer this site, and I know we have much to offer you too.  If nothing else, a place to vent when you need to!!  But that is not all.  We have developed a caring and sharing community here and I am glad you are now a part of it.   :grouphug;

By the way, we share an anniversary -  13 years ago, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a mastectomy.  We are survivors!!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 05:48:27 AM by bajanne2000 » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
mallory

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 11:50:45 AM »

Brenda, Welcome to the site!  :welcomesign;

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
nextnoel

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 05:35:17 AM »

Welcome, Brenda!  :welcomesign;  It's good to have you with us - and it's very encouraging to hear from someone who's been on dialysis quite awhile. :grouphug;

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 12:19:20 PM »

:welcomesign; Hubby's been on for 9 years.  Just started nocturnal..  Loves it (as much as you can love hemo!!)

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 06:52:02 AM »

I've been a very self care home hemodialysis patient for 13 years. Mostly things have gone a easy as they could. I am fortunate to have my original fistula that works great. I don't have high potasium or high blood pressure. I run 3x's a week for 3 1/2 hours. I will be going nocturnal later this year. I havew three grown children and a beautiful little granddaughter. I worked full time all my life until surgery. Recently I had my parathyroid removed (well 4 out of 5). Here in Canada we have no means it seems to locate the 5th one. It has kicked in harder than any of the 4 I lost. What to do , what to do? They assume it lies by my heart, just another assumption. Here, the only answer they have for me is to open my entire breast bone and go on a treasure hunt! Don't think so. Not that the other alternative is much better. I do like that my calcium has got under control and after 13 years I can have milk product again. Dairy Queen know's me on a first name basis. Love that 1/2 chocolate, 1/2 strawberry sundae. The milkshakes arn't too bad either. Anyway , there's my scoop. Anybody else blessed with more than 4?

Hi Brenda, Yeap I had more than 4 Paras and one was deep in my chest, luckily the got it, it took a lot of digging and the loss of one of my vocal cords but they got it. One of my Paras was the size of a golf-ball. And when they cut me open they found.....

Oh well better yet just read my intro for the rest of the story. http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=25.0

Welcome to IHD and please post often and please post in our "Home Dialysis" section. So you can help others with their home dialysis questions.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
anja

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 10:20:14 PM »

:welcomesign;  Brenda!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »