I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 12:30:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Steel Magnolias
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steel Magnolias  (Read 1938 times)
Dry-Pack-Babe

« on: February 26, 2011, 03:42:32 PM »

Tonight, I'm going to watch it and eat Poppycock. I love that movie. And for those of you who haven't seen it, Julia Roberts character has kidney disease and dies from it. Cheerful thought.

I adore the movie. I am a huge fan of movies and TV shows about southern women. There is one scene in it that I find TERRIFYING. Julia is on the floor, passed out and the baby is crying while a pot is on the stove bubbling over. I was so afraid that the baby was going to get scalded by that pot. But thank God, it didn't happen.

I would love to see more stories with characters living with kidney disease.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »

Seen Seven Pounds with Will Smith yet?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:31:10 PM »

Trying to think of other movies that reference kidneys - so far:
Airport 1975: Among the passengers: a famous movie star Gloria Swanson; a lovely teen-ager awaiting kidney transplant (Linda Blair); the wife and son of the airport operations chief (Susan Clark and Brian Morrison); two nuns (Martha Scott and Helen Reddy)

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 03:10:21 AM »

I love that movie too! Sally Field what a wonderful actress!! Steal Magnolias was on the the first night I was alone in the hospital after recovering from my transplant...I was thinking, "I hope this is a good omen?!"

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:32:26 AM »

My favorite line from that movie "If you don't have anything nice to say... sit by me"   :rofl;

"Remember Me" is a good movie about transplants.  The older one... there is a new movie with the same title..
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:33:37 AM by Rerun » Logged

Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 12:43:20 AM »

"Seven Pounds" is an incredible film and I implore everyone to see it.  Its not specifically about kidney transplants per say, but it is about transplantation on a very emotional level.  I warn you though, it will break your heart.

TV seems to be the format that's stepping up lately to at least feature Dialysis and transplantation.  If you watch "House" religiously, it comes up all the time.  I keep hearing about the latest season of "Desperate Housewives" featureing a character on Dialysis, but it would take a lot to get me to watch.

Our numbers are growing every day as more and more people don't take care of the healthy body they were given.  The time is ripe for a TV show that tells the story of a Dialysis clinic from both sides, the staff and the patients.

I dont know about your clinic, but mine is like a high school with cliques, gossiping, and drama.

I'll get to work on that idea right away :)

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 01:27:21 AM »

You could call it "Dialysis Divas".

The latest ep of House that I saw was about a woman who had the usual mystifying malady, and House just bunged her on dialysis.  Come to find out, she was allergic to the material used in the filter itself, so she had to have a transplant.  Her estranged sister offered, and it all seemed to happen in mere hours.  I had no idea that dialysis and transplantation could look so easy!

It sorta creeps me out when they start talking about renal symptoms because I already know the diagnosis.  When they start bandying about words like "nephrotic" or "glomerular" or "hyperparathyroidism", I feel like I could have written that script.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »