I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 02:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula Questions?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula Questions?  (Read 8743 times)
sammiejo23

Quand la vie devient dure, deviens plus dure.

« on: February 26, 2011, 12:45:03 AM »

Another post! I've been thinking...

My fistula should be ready to go in about two weeks here, but I'm starting to get worried.  :'( Up until now, I haven't had a problem with needles. You poke me, whatever. I'm used to it. But the other day I actually saw the needles used for fistulas, for the first time, and they are no little needles. I guess I'm just wondering (and I know everyone has a different pain tolerance), are they painful? And if so...what are some of the ways anyone has coped with the pain? I can't wait to get this damn permacath out, and I know the fistula is the more effective access, but I'm honestly kind of scared...

Another thing I was wondering is, are these things permanent? Like, if you go off of dialysis, does the fistula remain? =/ That's probably a silly question...but I really would like to know the answer if anyone has it.

01/05/2011-Full Right Nephrectomy (Malignant Tumors)
01/24/2011-Permacath Placed; Dialysis Started
01/28/2011-Fistula Placed
Current: In-Center Hemodialysis/3x a week
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 01:15:08 AM »

I too am not a fan of needles. Indeed I am a big wuss.

So what I would do is just NOT watch. I turn away, think about something else, or distract myself talking to the nurse, or trying to crack a (bad) joke or something.

The reality is that really after time as the fistula matures, it gets harder and the needles sometimes don't huirt at all. I only used a local injection once then let it go. I would say after a few months maybe 70-80% of needlings were pretty painless. Yeah I knew it was going in, but it didn't hurt and we got on with it. It becomes so routine that in a way I probably could have looked at it and not have worried, but I still kept to my not looking thing.

So when you start I would at the very least ask for a local shot first and/or use the lidocane cream to numbe the area up - a new fistula will be tender and you will feel it.

Hope this helps.

I am not certain on the 2nd question - I'm 3 months post tx now and my fistula is still running fine. I think while it is there's no real reason to not touch it (after all if the worst happens and I need dialysis for some reason it's good to have that there on standby). I think if it fails then maybe they would do something about it, but I am really not certain,. Personally it doesn't worry me at this point, and in a weird kind of way it is comforting that when I check it every day it's still buzzing away ready to go. I don't ever want to be needing it again, but chances are I probably will.

Good luck with starting to use your fistula! Try to not panic too much - the expectations of what it will be like are probably going to wind up being worse than the actual reality - specially when it becomes a dull routine.

Oh another thought - maybe enquire about doing buttonholes  using blunts - they will use the same spots, and you may not develop nasty bumpy anyeurisms(spelling?) which is what I have.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:18:43 AM »

Don't worry, sj, I don't use any local and I don't feel any pain. I have, however, buttonholes. Unlike Richard, I love to look.

Galvo
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:46:48 AM »

Don't worry, sj, I don't use any local and I don't feel any pain. I have, however, buttonholes. Unlike Richard, I love to look.

oh I love to look... but then the girls slap me!!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
sammiejo23

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »

Okay, that's good to know! Thanks guys. :) I guess I didn't think about the fistula remaining as a good thing...that's not such a bad way to view it. I'm actually trying to get approved for buttonholes! I don't really want those extra bumps if I can avoid it. Haha, I hated looking when I first started getting blood drawn so often, but after a while I looked all the time. I guess I'll find out if I have the ability to watch this without passing out, but I think I'll not my take my chances right at first, because that would be the last thing I need! Oh goodness, haha.

oh I love to look... but then the girls slap me!!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Hahaha, oh Richard. You are terrible. :rofl;

sammiejo23

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 08:17:26 AM »

I hope I can get to that point too, then. :) No pain sounds like a much better option. Did it take a while for the buttonholes to not be painful? Or did you just never experience any pain?

rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:44:54 AM »

sammie when you start using the fistula make sure the same tech sticks you in the same spot to establish the button holes. This way your fistula will not develop those huge bumps called aneurisums. a 1/2 hr to an hour before you get on the machine put some emla cream (lidocaine) to numb your fistula. Wrap plastic wrap around your arm and go to the dialysis clinic. It makes needling a lot less painful. Once you have the button holes they will switch you to a blunt needle. This is suppose to hurt less but I only saw a smaill difference. Also b/c my fistula heals fast I continually have to use the sharp needles or the blunts in the button holes. The needling gets easier and you will get use to it, just takes time.

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
BillSharp

rock 'n roll will never die

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »

My fistula is on the inside of my right bicep, and I have matured buttonholes. The lower one hurts a lot when they insert the blunt needle, I think because it's in a tender spot. The upper one doesn't hurt at all. (I've never tried lidocaine.)

We're all different with different levels of pain tolerance. Be strong and good luck.

Started passing stones at age 14 (Cystinuria)
Transplant in 1989 at age 50
Transplant failed in 2009 at age 70
Hemo and transplant list
Cadaver Transplant 7/1/2011 at age 72 (zero mismatch)
sammiejo23

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 09:31:51 AM »

sammie when you start using the fistula make sure the same tech sticks you in the same spot to establish the button holes. This way your fistula will not develop those huge bumps called aneurisums. a 1/2 hr to an hour before you get on the machine put some emla cream (lidocaine) to numb your fistula. Wrap plastic wrap around your arm and go to the dialysis clinic. It makes needling a lot less painful. Once you have the button holes they will switch you to a blunt needle. This is suppose to hurt less but I only saw a smaill difference. Also b/c my fistula heals fast I continually have to use the sharp needles or the blunts in the button holes. The needling gets easier and you will get use to it, just takes time.

xo,
R

R, thank you for explaining that! The people at my center had mentioned lidocaine, but they never explained exactly what it was, haha. I wasn't sure if it wasn't an injection or what. That's good to know! I'm starting to feel better about the whole thing.

sammiejo23

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 09:34:17 AM »

My fistula is on the inside of my right bicep, and I have matured buttonholes. The lower one hurts a lot when they insert the blunt needle, I think because it's in a tender spot. The upper one doesn't hurt at all. (I've never tried lidocaine.)

We're all different with different levels of pain tolerance. Be strong and good luck.

Oh goodness, well it sounds like it'll be a learning experience, haha. I guess that's nothing new, considering this whole thing has been! Thanks for your wishes! They sure help. :)

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 02:04:54 PM »

I don't want to freak you out, but quite a few IHD members actually learn to stick themselves.  They say they know their fistulas best, and they don't have to worry about some tech mucking it up.  They also say that by and large, they don't experience as much pain when they self-cannulate, probably because their minds are occupied with getting a good stick.  Maybe it's something you could think about?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Desert Dancer

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 04:12:33 PM »

Hi, sammiejo -

The needles are pretty damned intimidating, aren't they? I can only tell you about my experience with buttonholes since that's all I've ever done, and for me they've been fantastic. I had ONE tech create them at my center and I've cannulated myself ever since switching over to blunts. It's pretty much impossible to infiltrate yourself with blunts - so that doesn't need to be a worry - and I find that doing the cannulations myself gives me something to concentrate on, as I have to focus on 'feeling' my way in. I've got a pretty good 'tunnel' created now and while it isn't completely pain-free it isn't bad enough to require a topical anesthetic. The only times I've ever had a problem is when the buttonholes close up - it's only happened twice - and then I have to do a sharp stick, which can be a little nerve-wracking.

As to your second question, I'm not sure what would determine whether or not they leave in the fistula; I guess that would be another of those things that has a lot of individual variables. I know my father's fistula was still buzzing along 15 years after he got his transplant.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
sammiejo23

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 04:13:14 PM »

I don't want to freak you out, but quite a few IHD members actually learn to stick themselves.  They say they know their fistulas best, and they don't have to worry about some tech mucking it up.  They also say that by and large, they don't experience as much pain when they self-cannulate, probably because their minds are occupied with getting a good stick.  Maybe it's something you could think about?

Ah, that's something else to consider! I've heard about that...I don't know if I could actually do it. But I guess I wouldn't know until I tried. Hmm.

sammiejo23

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 04:23:07 PM »

Hi, sammiejo -

The needles are pretty damned intimidating, aren't they? I can only tell you about my experience with buttonholes since that's all I've ever done, and for me they've been fantastic. I had ONE tech create them at my center and I've cannulated myself ever since switching over to blunts. It's pretty much impossible to infiltrate yourself with blunts - so that doesn't need to be a worry - and I find that doing the cannulations myself gives me something to concentrate on, as I have to focus on 'feeling' my way in. I've got a pretty good 'tunnel' created now and while it isn't completely pain-free it isn't bad enough to require a topical anesthetic. The only times I've ever had a problem is when the buttonholes close up - it's only happened twice - and then I have to do a sharp stick, which can be a little nerve-wracking.

As to your second question, I'm not sure what would determine whether or not they leave in the fistula; I guess that would be another of those things that has a lot of individual variables. I know my father's fistula was still buzzing along 15 years after he got his transplant.

Desert Dancer, hi! Thanks for responding! They are really intimidating. =/ It's starting to sound like self cannulation might be something to certainly consider though. MooseMom was just mentioning that too. My center is only going to be allowing one person to stick me as well for my buttonholes...and I suppose, if I could get past the "Omg, I'm sticking myself with a needle!?!" thing, then maybe it would be a route I could take. Did they have to train you how to do that? Or do they just let you try it out and see how it goes?

I think you're probably right; a lot of it has got to depend on the individual situation.  As silly as it is, I guess I'm just worried that if I get my transplant, and it's successful of course, that I'm going to be stuck with the ugliness of it in my arm for the rest of my life. :( I'm already having a hard time dealing with how ugly it looks. I went to visit a bunch of old friends a couple weeks ago, and I was showing them the thrill and stuff (and I know that when people don't really understand it's easy for them to be insensitive without realizing it) but some of them really freaked out, and it didn't help. I already feel bad enough that it has to be there, you know?

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 04:56:42 PM »

Hi, Sammiejo,

My husband was the one on dialysis, but we did treatments at home without button holes. I learned how to stick him and was always very careful. I only "nearly" infiltrated him once in two and a half years. I went away for a week and he went back in-center (with our NxStage machine). He had said that he might want to learn to cannulate himself so the first day he was back, they gave him a needle and he just did it! He had seen me do it often enough! LOL!

As for how much it hurt, we used lidocaine for the first year or so, but his skin was getting tough from it, so we stopped. Many times the sticks did not hurt at all, unless I was using a more virgin area of his fistula.

And as far as whether you keep the fistula, after his transplant earlier this month, the surgeon told him to continue to care for it as always, but if it should ever fail, they would not try to restore it. And we are certainly hoping that we never have to use it again.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »

sammiejo, it's great to be young, but one advantage to being older is that by the time you reach my age, you don't really care what other people might thing of the access through which you receive life-saving treatment.

Fistulas are freaky.  It's true.  And they are not so pretty.  But I promise you that in the grand scheme of things, your friends are not going to care.  They are not going to be thinking about your fistula when they can be thinking about boys and music and more fun things.  I don't like the fact that I have to have one at all, but I don't waste my time thinking about the opinions of others.  I know that is not as easy to do when you are young and self-conscious, but if you can just remind yourself that your fistula is not at the center of their world, you will feel much better.  There are a couple of IHD members who like to scare little children with their fistulas and with how they feel so buzzy. hahaha!  That sounds like something I'd do!

After transplant, once they're pretty certain that you're stable, they won't think about removing your fistula unless it is causing you problems or is increasing blood flow to your heart to the point it is damaging.  I did see some research in that regard; I will try to find it and post a link to it for you.

Edited to add....one of our IHD members is Bill Peckham who has a blog titled "Dialysis from the Sharp End of the Needle."  Here is a link to a conversation about this very topic started by our own Meinuk (Anna Bennett).

http://www.billpeckham.com/from_the_sharp_end_of_the/2009/02/your-fistula-after-transplant-to-keep-or-not-to-keep.html

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:05:12 PM by MooseMom » Logged

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
FindingNeverland

Cancer Survivor/Young Idealist

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 07:35:31 PM »

Hi Sammiejo, I can honestly say that even though I've been poked and prodded my entire life thus far, when I saw the size of the needles they used for dialysis I got scared. I don't use buttonholes because of the way my clinic is run, I never have the same nurse when I go in. Needless to say I had a few problems being stuck when I first started using my fistula but with time it got better, they have no problem sticking me now. I used emla cream to begin with but then I switched to using a numbing spray, ethyl chloride. There have been a few occasions when I had to go without anything and just went au natural, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, it hurt, but going back to being in the hospital I'll take being stuck with dialysis needles with no numbing over having an arterial blood gas test done any day.

I was told I could have mine reversed but given I'm having a second transplant I might want to keep it just in case. Sure it's a little unsightly but if worse comes to worse, is worth worrying about what people think of it? I don't think so. Though I know what it's like to be self conscious and over the summer I got some sweat bands and started wearing them over the area, mines right above the crook in my elbow. I stretched them out of course to make sure they weren't too tight. Not exactly a fashion statement but hey, it worked.

~*Laughter is the Language of the Soul*~
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 08:13:12 PM »

I hope I can get to that point too, then. :) No pain sounds like a much better option. Did it take a while for the buttonholes to not be painful? Or did you just never experience any pain?
[/quote]

It would be true to say that I rarely experience any pain. It happens on the rare occasion when the needler doesn't use the correct tunnel. Not using the local anaesthetic allows me to quickly (and loudly) inform all and sundry that things ain't right.

You are asking all the questions that went through my mind when I was starting D some 16 months ago. So I can appreciate where you're coming from. I have learnt that the actual dialysis procedure is pretty routine.

Galvo
sammiejo23

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »

Hi, Sammiejo,

My husband was the one on dialysis, but we did treatments at home without button holes. I learned how to stick him and was always very careful. I only "nearly" infiltrated him once in two and a half years. I went away for a week and he went back in-center (with our NxStage machine). He had said that he might want to learn to cannulate himself so the first day he was back, they gave him a needle and he just did it! He had seen me do it often enough! LOL!

As for how much it hurt, we used lidocaine for the first year or so, but his skin was getting tough from it, so we stopped. Many times the sticks did not hurt at all, unless I was using a more virgin area of his fistula.

And as far as whether you keep the fistula, after his transplant earlier this month, the surgeon told him to continue to care for it as always, but if it should ever fail, they would not try to restore it. And we are certainly hoping that we never have to use it again.

Aleta

Aleta, thanks so much for the input! :) Haha, that's funny about your husband just going for it...perhaps I should consider self-cannulating. It's just weird to imagine sticking myself...but I suppose I can see how it would be beneficial, if for nothing more than taking comfort in knowing that I'm the one in control. I guess the fistula is just a permanent part of me now...I don't like that, but I guess I'll get used to it. I hope that your husband doesn't have to use his again either! I'll keep you guys in my thoughts and hope for the best for you!

sammiejo23

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 09:04:47 PM »

sammiejo, it's great to be young, but one advantage to being older is that by the time you reach my age, you don't really care what other people might thing of the access through which you receive life-saving treatment.

Fistulas are freaky.  It's true.  And they are not so pretty.  But I promise you that in the grand scheme of things, your friends are not going to care.  They are not going to be thinking about your fistula when they can be thinking about boys and music and more fun things.  I don't like the fact that I have to have one at all, but I don't waste my time thinking about the opinions of others.  I know that is not as easy to do when you are young and self-conscious, but if you can just remind yourself that your fistula is not at the center of their world, you will feel much better.  There are a couple of IHD members who like to scare little children with their fistulas and with how they feel so buzzy. hahaha!  That sounds like something I'd do!

After transplant, once they're pretty certain that you're stable, they won't think about removing your fistula unless it is causing you problems or is increasing blood flow to your heart to the point it is damaging.  I did see some research in that regard; I will try to find it and post a link to it for you.

Edited to add....one of our IHD members is Bill Peckham who has a blog titled "Dialysis from the Sharp End of the Needle."  Here is a link to a conversation about this very topic started by our own Meinuk (Anna Bennett).

http://www.billpeckham.com/from_the_sharp_end_of_the/2009/02/your-fistula-after-transplant-to-keep-or-not-to-keep.html

Thanks for the link, I'll make sure I check it. (:

sammiejo23

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 09:09:42 PM »

Hi Sammiejo, I can honestly say that even though I've been poked and prodded my entire life thus far, when I saw the size of the needles they used for dialysis I got scared. I don't use buttonholes because of the way my clinic is run, I never have the same nurse when I go in. Needless to say I had a few problems being stuck when I first started using my fistula but with time it got better, they have no problem sticking me now. I used emla cream to begin with but then I switched to using a numbing spray, ethyl chloride. There have been a few occasions when I had to go without anything and just went au natural, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, it hurt, but going back to being in the hospital I'll take being stuck with dialysis needles with no numbing over having an arterial blood gas test done any day.

I was told I could have mine reversed but given I'm having a second transplant I might want to keep it just in case. Sure it's a little unsightly but if worse comes to worse, is worth worrying about what people think of it? I don't think so. Though I know what it's like to be self conscious and over the summer I got some sweat bands and started wearing them over the area, mines right above the crook in my elbow. I stretched them out of course to make sure they weren't too tight. Not exactly a fashion statement but hey, it worked.

Finding Neverland, that's good to know, thank you very much for your input! If you don't mind me asking, what is an arterial blood gas test? That sounds terrible... =/ You can have it reversed then? That's interesting. I know it's not worth caring what other people think about it, but it's hard to ignore what I think about it, ha. I know that it's worth it for my life though, and eventually I'll get over it. I might try the sweatband thing though, that doesn't sound too bad. Heck, maybe I'll make it a fashion statement!  :yahoo; Hahaha.

sammiejo23

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 09:12:36 PM »

It would be true to say that I rarely experience any pain. It happens on the rare occasion when the needler doesn't use the correct tunnel. Not using the local anaesthetic allows me to quickly (and loudly) inform all and sundry that things ain't right.

You are asking all the questions that went through my mind when I was starting D some 16 months ago. So I can appreciate where you're coming from. I have learnt that the actual dialysis procedure is pretty routine.
[/quote]

Then I must be asking the right questions! Haha. :) Thanks so much galvo! You've been so helpful, as always. Maybe I'll just have to channel my inner galvo when the needles start stickin! Then they're sure not to hurt, lol.  :rofl;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 09:20:50 PM »

Your "inner galvo"...now, that's a scary thought. :rofl;

FindingNeverland

Cancer Survivor/Young Idealist

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 09:43:45 PM »

Finding Neverland, that's good to know, thank you very much for your input! If you don't mind me asking, what is an arterial blood gas test? That sounds terrible... =/ You can have it reversed then? That's interesting. I know it's not worth caring what other people think about it, but it's hard to ignore what I think about it, ha. I know that it's worth it for my life though, and eventually I'll get over it. I might try the sweatband thing though, that doesn't sound too bad. Heck, maybe I'll make it a fashion statement!  :yahoo; Hahaha.

No problem! It's a blood test done to measure the PH of your blood, they have to stick a needle in your artery, generally in the wrist, to get the sample. Not fun. That's what my surgeon told me before he created my fistula but said it would be wiser to leave it. I know, it's easier said than done. It's hard to ignore the thought of people staring at it and possibly getting grossed out. Hey there you go! That gives me an idea, designing arm bands and they'll be called Fistula camouflage...  :rofl;

~*Laughter is the Language of the Soul*~
sammiejo23

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 10:01:20 PM »

No problem! It's a blood test done to measure the PH of your blood, they have to stick a needle in your artery, generally in the wrist, to get the sample. Not fun. That's what my surgeon told me before he created my fistula but said it would be wiser to leave it. I know, it's easier said than done. It's hard to ignore the thought of people staring at it and possibly getting grossed out. Hey there you go! That gives me an idea, designing arm bands and they'll be called Fistula camouflage...  :rofl;

Oh that does sound awful! Ick! Hopefully you never have to do that again. Haha, we're on to something now!  :2thumbsup; Though I was thinking Fashion for Fistulas, maybe we can have two lines. One will focus on summer wear, the other on winter wear, hahaha. Or, considering they're sweatbands regardless, we can focus on colors. "Excuse me sir, I do believe your fistula is a summer."  :rofl;

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »