I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 06:15:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Kidney Disease Awareness Month?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney Disease Awareness Month?  (Read 1982 times)
sammiejo23

Quand la vie devient dure, deviens plus dure.

« on: February 25, 2011, 11:25:13 PM »

I was wondering if anybody had any cool ideas of things/events to do with March quickly approaching. I really want to do something for the patients at my center, because I think they could use some cheering up (always such drab faces when I walk into treatment, it makes me very sad). I know it's not the most pleasant place to be (  :puke;  especially not at 3 in the morning, ick!), and I was thinking of maybe making cards for everyone, to try and lighten the mood. I mean...everybody loves getting a friendly card right? What do you guys think? Any ideas on something better I could do? It's just a thought...

01/05/2011-Full Right Nephrectomy (Malignant Tumors)
01/24/2011-Permacath Placed; Dialysis Started
01/28/2011-Fistula Placed
Current: In-Center Hemodialysis/3x a week
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:30:29 PM »

I think that's a lovely idea!  That's really generous and kind hearted of you!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:35:16 AM »

Great idea, sj. I wish you were at my center.

Galvo
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:17:14 AM »

wow, do you do overnight sessions? (3 am). That is very nice of you. I'm just wondering here if there were something you make for the other patients they everyone liked. Like cookies! lol Keeping in mind that some people are diabetic but I'l bet you can make a cookie thatis renal friendly AND sugar free. Oh wait, that might be a lot to ask for lol. I forgot the renal diet consits of only cardboard lol. I say that because we struggle at my home trying to cook for my husband. No cheese, tomotoes, potatoes etc... that's all the good things!  There are probably reciepes on line. If you end up making them, even though I don't do dialysis I'll come to your unit for the day just to eat them lol. If you really research your recipeps I'm sure you can find something very inexpensive if you wanted to go that way.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Tracy

Loved the Movie!

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:31:04 PM »

At Christmas, I brought in little bags of cheese flavored popcorn (for the diabetics) and caramel corn for the rest of the people.  It was fun and I think they enjoyed it.  I had enough for all the techs and nurses too.  I just wanted to do something that would kinda make people happy and smile too, like you.  I am the youngest at our D center and it IS sad to be there.  But, I am getting used to it.  I didn't realize March was Kidney disease awareness month.  HMMMM  Cards are a great idea.  You could do cards and tape a packet of sugar free flavored tea or punch or juice to put in water bottles.  That would be neat too!  Good Luck!

:cuddle;

9/1990 Found out I have Type 1 Diabetes
7/2008 Told I have GFR 30
2/2009 Kidney/Pancreas Transplant
5 days later, both removed due to massive rejection
Back on List
2/26/10 Fistula placed
3/11/10 Told GFR 9
5/14/10 Started in center Hemo
Waiting on another Transplant
sammiejo23

Quand la vie devient dure, deviens plus dure.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »

MooseMom and galvo: Thank you very much. :) It's something I would appreciate, you know? So why not do it for others?

texas: Haha, no I don't do nocturnal, but my shift starts at about 4am and runs through about 7:45ish. What fabulous ideas! :) That might be something to consider! And I'll make sure I let you know ahead of time if I'm going to bust out the cookies!  :rofl;

Tracy: I love the idea of taping packets of juice or tea on the cards, that's wonderful! I'm having issues with what to put on the cards though...I've kind of hit a blank.

01/05/2011-Full Right Nephrectomy (Malignant Tumors)
01/24/2011-Permacath Placed; Dialysis Started
01/28/2011-Fistula Placed
Current: In-Center Hemodialysis/3x a week
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »