I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:13:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Side effects of medication?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Side effects of medication?  (Read 2207 times)
Des
Elite Member

« on: February 25, 2011, 12:32:10 AM »

Please give me some feedback on the side effects of the transplant meds.

I have read what is in the book but I would like to hear from first hand experiences.

(it scares me a bit)

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 01:07:16 AM »

Gee this is a tough one. It seems to be different for everyone, and definitely depends on what you're on - and again some people are on different stuff.

The other thing is, you read the little brochures with the meds about the side effects etc and some are similar for various meds (like Cyclosporin and Cellcept) and then again they can be contradictary - like the Prednisolone doco says you COULD get anorexia and lose weight.. next line.. you get hungry and GAIN weight. Or you could have constipation OR the other way ... like they are having a shot each way so if something happens you can blame the med!! but when some of them seem to have the same sorts of listed effects it's hard to know which med is doing it.

Anyway the only real side effects I have felt so far are the odd hand shakes and kind of "locking up" of hands (quite painful) on the higher doses of cyclosporin. Since I've come down I haven't had it (knock on wood). With the preds, the damn appetite increase is killing me, and I'm retaining fluid a bit and put on weight... not too happy about that, but my dose should be lowered next week YAY!!!

can't say I've had any bad things from cellcept that I know, or the other stuff I'm on.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 01:18:40 AM »

Like Richard said, it really depends on the person and the drug, even the amount.

Mikes main side-affects are shaky hands, moon face [cheeks slighty puffy], blurry vision [hard to concentrate on words], faster hair growth & weight gain.

The most amazing thing about transplants is, it gives you a new lease on life. No dialysis! Yes, the medication has it's side affects, but they are minor compared to the other benefits!

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
carol1987

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 07:24:48 AM »

I have been very lucky so far... not really many side effects... some fluctuation in the first weeks between Constipation/diarrhea   ... Some heartburn but an occasional Prilosec stops it... a slight moon face ( i had a round face to begin with LOL) and increased appetite..

I feel better than I have in years and am up to walking an hour/ approx 3 miles for exercise  7 weeks after TX

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
lou

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 07:51:51 AM »

Hi Des, think i have also been fairy lucky so far. I am on Prenisolone and Cyclosporin and haven't really noticed anything. Occasionally hands feel a bit shaky, but not very often. Haven't put on any weight/moon face or any of the other possible things you hear.

I am going down the route of just not reading the side effects anymore!  To be honest they have to put everything on there don't they but everyone is different and hopefully you wont have too many problems. x x

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:57:41 PM »

After reading about the side effects, that was a mistake in two aspects. One, is kinda made me leary of having a transplant and two, those that scared the crap out of me never happened.

My first experiences are from CellCept and Prograf. diarrhea, trembling hands, being in light (outside) made me dizzy.

Now that I am on Rapamune, small dose of Prednisone (weaning off after6 months) I bruise easily, stopping from bleeding takes longer. However I have not gotten the moon face or appetite from prednisone.

I have notice memoryproblems that have been determined to be due to medications, bone problems and arthritis due to a combination of diabetes, dialysis, and transplant medications, and insomnia (which I like). I now get C-Diff real easy when on antibiotics.

All in all even with he problems I have had (and there have been a few), I would get a trasplant again and not worry to much about the side effects. You just never know what is going to happen and it could happen down the road in a few years as I found out with CellCept/ Myfortic.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012