I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:41:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Do any of you have cholesterol problems?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do any of you have cholesterol problems?  (Read 15135 times)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2006, 01:05:43 AM »

I was just cleaning out my "dialysis bag" (a bag I got at one of the kidney symposiums as a gift that I use to carry my pills and books and money and keys when I got to hemo 3 times a week) and I found a letter the unit gave me saying they were doing the cholesterol during blood work at the beginning of July :P Guess they did it so I have no worries now! I just forgot lol .. oops!   :-[

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Panda_9

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2006, 11:14:45 PM »

Thats good then, just ask what the results were if you wanted to know.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 01:02:33 AM »

Thats good then, just ask what the results were if you wanted to know.
Last  time I was doing well. Not too low but on the low side.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006, 05:13:43 AM »

Thats good to hear. Mine has been a little high which is odd because I dont eat massive amounts of high cholesterol foods that Im aware of. Ive just been started on a new vitamin that helps to lower cholesterol, I think its just a nocturnal thing, Im not sure. Its a type of B6.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2006, 05:28:23 AM »

Thats good to hear. Mine has been a little high which is odd because I dont eat massive amounts of high cholesterol foods that Im aware of. Ive just been started on a new vitamin that helps to lower cholesterol, I think its just a nocturnal thing, Im not sure. Its a type of B6.
Does Replavite have B6 in it?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2006, 06:48:24 AM »

Angie, I couldnt find any decent info on replavite but one site says they do contain B6. The tablets Ive been started on are called Pyroxin, which is just B6.
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2006, 06:35:12 PM »

i get mine tested every 6 months  its a fasting test nothing to eat  after 8pm the night before. I am on Lipitor meant to take it at night but i never remember so i have it  with the rest of my tablets in the morning and it still seems to be working Actually  i started it at night and my cholesterol went up probably because i forgot most nights ! and when i went back to mornings it came back down. 4 which is a great  reading here in oz.

Cheers

Charee

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2007, 08:17:37 PM »

Hallelujah!!!  For the last month, I have been very compliant with my Lipitor. It is because I am staying at a friend's apartment, and her life is very regulated and it has rubbed off on me!!
I got my blood works results today.  Last month my cholesterol was 300.  Today it is 212!!!!!
 :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo;  My chart says normal is 90 - 200 so I am on my way!!!
[my calcium which was low is now normal, but my phosporus is still a bit high]

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2007, 09:19:54 PM »

Good for you my friend, keep up the great work  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2007, 01:43:40 PM »

Three years ago, my cholesterol was 550 and triglycerides were 2100...I think I set some sort of record.  I was really shocked because I had always exercised and watched what I was eating.  My doc said that high blood lipids were part and parcel of kidney disease.

I started on Crestor but broke out in a rash.  I now take Zetia, pravastatin and Tricor; my triglycerides are still high, but at 350-400, it is a vast improvement over 2100.  My total cholesterol is about 187, but my "bad cholesterol" is still high.  I still exercise and watch what I eat, but my doc said that I could eat cardboard for the rest of my life and would still have high blood lipid levels.

I am very compliant when it comes to my meds; I've never missed a pill in three years.  But with renal disease, pills can only do so much, I guess.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Lulu

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 10:00:48 PM »

My cholesterol has always been a major problem.  Not for me, but for my physicians.  Are any of you having a problem in this area?  What are you doing about it?

I have had high cholesterol since I started taking prednisone in 1991 (so 16 years). My docs ignored it for a while, then when the commercials came out for the statins I was put on one after another, I had the side effect of pain in my calfs which is serious so I went off of them. I knwo it is because I take the prednisone. It is common as soon as someone goes on a steroid their cholesterol usually skyrockets It has to do with the sysnthesis of cholesterol in the liver. I will find out if it had affteced my heart when I go for my transplant work up.

I did find that taking COq10 and a homocsyteine resist supplement from life extension really help.
angellady07

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2007, 09:35:53 AM »

I've been on lipitor for the past few months since then my cholesterol has been great. :2thumbsup;
melshell

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2007, 11:05:16 AM »

I believe I hold the record: Cholesterol 1200, Triglycerides 14,000 just prior to beginning PD in Dec. '06. My elevated lipids were attributed in part to heredity, my Dad's levels were always real high, as well as diet & exercise, or the lack there of. The Endocrinologist I was referred to when my Neph's lab could no longer compute my levels had everyone in his office coming in to look in my eyes-the blood fats were visible with a pen light. My Neph tried me on several of the statins, to which I had adverse reactions. He tried me on several cholesterol lowering medications that we ineffective, then ref. me to the Endo. The Endo. immediately put me on insulin 4x/day. (I'm still not sure how the insulin comes into play, but he said that was the quickest way to bring the lipids down...if anyone knows, and can explain in laymen terms, I'd greatly appreciate it...) I was also put on Omacor, and Tricor which I'm tolerating well. Last fasting levels were: Cholesterol 350, Triglycerides 900. I personally was worried about the effects the elevated lipids had had on my heart, but had a thorough cardiac eval. and all is well. Someone mentioned being on prednisone that elevated their levels....I was on a stint of mega doses of steroids and cyclosporine before it was determined that dialysis was indicated...wonder what the connection there is?

FSGS since 1991
ESRD 9/06
PD since 12/06

"...atleast I didn't wake up dead this morning..."

sqzagapeach@yahoo.com
myspace.com/mel8675309
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2007, 03:16:57 PM »

Good grief Melshell, i am sure glad you are allright, yes, i do believe you do hold the record  :bow;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2007, 07:33:54 PM »

Neph called in a script for Lipitor 10 mg for Mike today.  His labs overall were very good but triglycerides were 280, should be under 149.  Total cholesterol was 202.  That was not too bad but they want it lower.

Any side effects he should watch for?

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2007, 11:16:08 PM »

My husband had arm and leg cramps from Lipitor. They have tried 3 other meds since but he seems to have problems with all of them.
Now our doctor called and said my cholesterol is a bit high and he wants me to start Lipitor as well. I am going to focus on losing weight, eating more fruits and vegetables and getting more exercise over the next 3 months. Some scientists believe that omega-3 fatty acids can improve one's blood lipid (cholesterol and triglyceride) levels and decrease the risk of coronary heart disease. The nutritionist also said that flax seed has been shown in many studies to be successful in lowering total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) levels.  If the number is still high I will have to start the Lipitor and see how it goes.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2007, 05:18:09 PM »

Okarol, get your cholesterol under control. I started taking 40 mg of Lipitor and would always have pain and muscle aches. My cholesterol came down significantly though. Then I switched to the generic Simvastatin 20mg and have had no problems and my levels are excellent. So my advice is take as small a dose as allowed to reduce the muscle aches potential...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »