I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 10:17:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Do any of you have cholesterol problems?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do any of you have cholesterol problems?  (Read 15664 times)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« on: December 10, 2005, 09:09:24 AM »

My cholesterol has always been a major problem.  Not for me, but for my physicians.  Are any of you having a problem in this area?  What are you doing about it?

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 10:54:34 AM »

I'm on Lipitor and have been for about 6 years.  It must keep it under control because the docs never mention it.  Well, maybe I have soooo many other problems that my cholestrol isn't a priority?   ???

susie q

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 11:12:54 AM »

I'm on Lipitor also but not for hi c    Doc says good c is low so he put me on Lipitor to raise it.. weird eh??
toad

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 01:03:40 PM »

i am also on lipitor but also take ezetrol in the morning....have had high cholesterol for years
mark j

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 10:34:46 AM »

Ive had high c for years.. it probobly doesnt help that i deliver donuts for a living and cant seem to stop eating them.. Ive been on lipitor for approx 5-6 years...last bloodwork c was 165
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 11:46:44 AM »

Mark... No wonder you have that "glazed" look in your eyes!  >:D  Ha~

susie q

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 01:47:50 PM »

Rerun, that's a cute pic.. Is it you and your dogs?? :)
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 06:26:23 PM »

Yes, I finally figured out how to get it there.  That is Pebbles and Adrianne and I adopted them last year.  They are 8 and 9 years old, mother and daughter, never separated so I took them both.  They are Miniature Pinschers and such good dogs.  They hate the hats, but I think they are cute so they are going to wear them.   >:D  (JK)

Jamie

What's life with out alittle magic?

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 12:10:28 PM »

Dear fellow renal readers,

I have some big cholesterol problems it starts at Buger-King and ends at Mc Donalds ......Jamie-G

www.jamiegmagic.com

What's life with out a little magic?
fireguy

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 07:01:31 AM »

Taking crestor and ezetrol. Found that Lipator blocked dialyser and reduced flows. As long as I get some exercise and watch fat intake, numbers not bad.
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 10:12:50 AM »

My cholesterol levels are still quite horrid, though they have gone down a bit.  I was on Lipitor, but I don't take night medications well.  My nights are not very routine and sometimes I go to bed without planning to, so night medications come up short.  I had planned to tape something on my monitor to remind me.
About 1½ ago, my nephrologist gave me a month's supply of Crestor which I now take.  He told me that with Crestor, you can take it any time of the day, but he would suggest I take it at night.  Well, except for a few misses (like last night) I have been taking it.  It will be interesting to see my month end bloodworks.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 02:20:10 PM »

Bajanne, what are your numbers for cholesterol? 

Cholesterol isn't even a part of my bloodwork.  I'm on Lipitor, but really don't know what my cholesterol is.  I guess I'd better get it checked to see if I really need to be on it.    ::)

Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 04:16:12 PM »

I will tell you cholesterol scores after the next set of blood works (probably Friday, since they do them mid-month and then end-of-month).  Prepare yourself for some hideous numbers. About two years ago, my total cholesterol was some impossible number like 595!!  It is much lower now, but I am never sure about the various numbers that they quote to me.  I really need to have this kind of stuff explained so I really know what is going on.
By the way, this post has helped.  It is night, so I will go and take my Crestor before I even finish posting this.
I did it!  Now who is going to volunteer to remind me to take my Crestor every night.  Don't all rush! ;D

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 07:11:24 PM »

If your emind me to take my Hectarol and Sensipar each night. I will remind you of your crestor. >:D

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
calypso

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 08:18:54 PM »

I don't take cholesterol meds but I take Tricor which is to lower my high triglycerides. PD adds to triglycerides and drives it too high because of the dextrose. Triglycerides also clog the arteries. I think my chol. is about normal. I have the bloodwork results somewhere but I'm sure it's normal though I can't remember the #s offhand.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Panda_9

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 04:22:49 AM »

Why is it your doctors problem bajanne2000?
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 05:51:22 AM »

I mean that as far as I am concerned it doesn't bother me physically.  But my physicians are always bothered by my high cholesterol.

Panda_9

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 03:23:30 AM »

Oh I see. It might not bother you now, but it may later on!
anja

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 10:36:37 PM »

My bad  cholesterol is 242 (down from 243 6 months ago)  Triglycerides are 546 (down from 663) and good cho. 40 ~ I am taking Zetia 10 mg. nightly.  Even though I am careful what I eat, it runs in my family to have high values of cho. and tri. Dad had 3 bypasses 5 years ago and a sis has had 5 stents placed. We are all on different meds. for cholesterol.  Makes me wonder what's down the road for me~
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2006, 12:17:09 AM »

That reminds me .. I have to do 2 things as part of my yearly tests done for the transplant list. Cholesterol is one of them...  I guess I have to call to make an appointment with my doc? I don't remember ... with moving and all I might have missed my appointment .. I will have to ask my dialysis unit ..

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Panda_9

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 03:15:06 AM »

Angie, it just needs to be added to the form when you have your next bloods taken.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 04:54:44 AM »

Angie, it just needs to be added to the form when you have your next bloods taken.
But they take it in clinic on lab day. Hmm... I guess that means they did it? I thought they would have told me how I did. I mean .. always feels like test day at school ... I would at least like to know how well I did :P

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 05:47:51 PM »

Just ask the nurses before they take your bloods if they can do your cholesterol as well. It might be different where you are but if we want certain bloods done the nurses usually add it to the request form. Thats just how it works here, might need doctor to write it up elsewhere.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 01:48:50 AM »

Just ask the nurses before they take your bloods if they can do your cholesterol as well. It might be different where you are but if we want certain bloods done the nurses usually add it to the request form. Thats just how it works here, might need doctor to write it up elsewhere.
Ya here the doc would have to write it up.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2006, 04:34:55 AM »

Oh bugger they like to make it difficult dont they.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »