I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 03:14:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Foods affect you?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Foods affect you?  (Read 7184 times)
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« on: January 01, 2007, 10:15:10 PM »

Since you have been on dialysis have foods affected you differently.
For instance, my s-i-l gave me some chili that had kidney beans in it.
Everytime I saw a kidney bean I felt sick.  On Thanksgiving I could not hardly
look at the turkey.  Some of my former favorite foods I don't want to
have much anymore.  And sometimes I just don't want to be
around a lot of food, like a buffet. but it is not all the time.
almost like being pregnant in a way.  It is strange.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Bette

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 06:37:42 AM »

I feel the same way about dairy.  I used to love yogurt and milk, now the very idea of them turns my stomach.  This actually started about a month before I started dialysis.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 10:20:43 AM »

One of the transplant nurses compared my nausea and food dislikes to pregnancy - hormones, toxins, etc.  The thought of a big buffet makes me queasy. My range of food likes has grown very small and I use to enjoy almost everything.  It helps to know others have the same problem.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 12:58:10 PM »

Thank you for this thread,  it is good to know i am not the only one going through this, i was getting a little worried.  It is strange but there are days when i cant even eat a whole sandwich because it just makes me nauseous and i love sandwiches, not only sandwiches, it happens with everything i eat, i just eat a portion and that is it,  i was blaming it on being on PD but i guess it is just the whole disease in general huh?  :-\ oh well, at least i am not gaining weight, Lord only knows i dont need that  ::)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
mallory

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 02:06:31 PM »

Goofynina, it's funny you'd mention sandwiches.  I LOVE sandwiches.  I always have.  My sister thinks it's weird to love sandwiches, but I really do, I love sandwiches.  I'd choose a big, yummy hoagie sandwich and potato chips over most other meals.

But, all the sudden, some days I like sandwiches, and some days I can't even think about them.  It's worse since I started dialysis.  It's like my taste changes every day.  Some days I still want to go to Subway, some days you couldn't pay me to eat one of their sandwiches.  And it's all other food, too.  Some days I like some things, some days I like other things.

It's very strange the way kidney failure and dialysis affects your body.  There are so many changes you never even thought about or heard about.

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 04:31:45 PM »

my husband HATED chicken before dialysis-i only cooked it maybe twice a year,(and if he knew he would eat a doughnut)-now he begs for chicken like he needs a 'fix'--and I do cook it 5 nights a week,plus extra for the fridge....I wondered if there was something in chicken he really needed......

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 09:00:21 PM »

my husband HATED chicken before dialysis-i only cooked it maybe twice a year,(and if he knew he would eat a doughnut)-now he begs for chicken like he needs a 'fix'--and I do cook it 5 nights a week,plus extra for the fridge....I wondered if there was something in chicken he really needed......

The only thing i know is they say that chicken is a good source of protein, maybe that is what he is craving, the protein?  just my  :twocents;

Me loves me chicken too ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 09:23:11 PM »

actually ,I can't think of it right now,but the thing they measure in your labs that says wether he has good nourishment-his is low-they told me to increase his meat-but its weird how its chicken he is wanting and not beef or pork-although for awhile I WAS cooking pork-ribs every other day lol

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 03:16:33 AM »

Since I've started hemo, I can't get enough broccoli and cauliflower.  Good thing they are cheap in the frozen section.  I've been eating some every day, sometimes twice a day.  I've always liked them, but not this much!  Makes me wonder what vitamins the hemo is stripping that my nephcaps aren't replacing fast enough.

I was never that fond of chicken either, and I'm eating a lot of more of that, too.  With a side order of steamed broccoli and cauliflower, of course.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 10:34:36 AM »

That's funny. Yesterday at the grocery I saw a bag of garlic cauliflour in the frozen section
and I got it and heat it up and ate it for supper.  It was so good.  I didnd't even have anything
with it. 

while I am doing this.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 10:42:49 AM »

Broccolli has been 88 cents a lbs here in florida lately-my hubby craves both broccolli and cauliflower too,I wish cauliflower was on sale too..lol I know cooking it removes alot of the potassium,but he really just wants it raw-so he gets a measured dose of raw with his lunch-who would have ever thought I would be measuring the cauliflower like its medicine,and just giving him the box of little debbies.

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
mallory

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 01:33:16 PM »

who would have ever thought I would be measuring the cauliflower like its medicine,and just giving him the box of little debbies.
Glitter, Isn't that the truth!  This renal diet is so strange to me, I understand the goals, but the results don't seem logical to me, like measuring cauliflower but you can have the Little Debbies.  That just doesn't seem right!

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 08:52:23 PM »

I hate bell peppers for some strange reason.  The taste totally turns me off now and I used to eat them all the time.  I even cooked with them a lot.  Now icky poo.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 08:53:37 PM »

What are "little debbies" ??

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 08:54:58 PM »

Little Debbies are little chocolate with whipped cream in the middle snack cakes.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 08:56:31 PM »

Little Debbies are little chocolate with whipped cream in the middle snack cakes.
Thanks for that never heard of them here

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 08:58:56 PM »

Little Debbies are goooooooooooooood.
They compare to Hostess snack cakes and cookies if you know about those.

while I am doing this.
John S.

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 09:05:51 AM »

On eof the biggest side of effects of renagel other than making you dispeptic, is a loss of appetite. My appetite after 12 1/2 years of this is non-existant. Now, I'm like a marathon runner using food only as fuel. Sad.

john
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 08:33:25 PM »

little debbies come in about 15 different flavors-my husband likes the huneybuns-which is like a glazed doughnut.

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 11:00:50 AM »

I'm glad someone mentioned this, I thought it was just me. Sometimes I feel really hungry, but when I sit down and start eating, I get full after only eating a little bit of my food. My dad thinks i'm wasting a lot of food now but I tell him, i'm just not hungry sometimes, and most of the time I get nauses during my meal and just don't want anymore for fear of throwing it up. So it's kind of like for me it's better to eat a lot of little meals or snacks throughout the day instead of 3 big meals.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
froggy

http://ihatedialysis.com/

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 01:44:24 PM »

A lot of days I only eat one meal and that can be a challenge. Other days my appetite is just fine. The biggest change I noticed is I like sweets now and I never have before

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 07:12:51 PM »

On eof the biggest side of effects of renagel other than making you dispeptic, is a loss of appetite. My appetite after 12 1/2 years of this is non-existant. Now, I'm like a marathon runner using food only as fuel. Sad.

john

Have you tried any of the protein drinks, like Designer Whey?

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
brenda

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 08:58:41 PM »

What the heck is "Designer Whey" ? There ain't no "way" anything with the word "whey" in it can be good.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
shay_pcb

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 09:15:05 PM »

My problems with food is that I want what I'm not supposed to have and don't want what I am supposed to have. And I don't eat as much as I did, but I guess that's bc I absorb calories from my fluid.
Chicken Little

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 09:37:28 PM »

My doctor warned me about loss of appetite, but it's more than that.  Nothing tastes the same or even good.  When I do eat, I usually get sick too. 

We drove by the It's It ice cream factory the other day and had to pull over because the smell the baking cookies made me barf.  ???  I was hoping it would get a little better when I start PD.   :( 
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »