I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 08:29:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dialysis And High Creatine Level
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis And High Creatine Level  (Read 10098 times)
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« on: January 31, 2011, 04:48:46 AM »

hi,
 I know once we start dialysis, they usually do not telll  you much about your creatine levels. However, I got some disturbing news the other day that my creatine level is 17! That is unusually high for someone my size. I am 4'11" and 115lbs.

I do not miss any of my dialysis. I am on PD. Have been on dialysis for 3.5 years. I am on the cycler at night and have a midday as well. My blood pressure is quite low most of the time. I am not on any meds. In fact, I only take the binders, stool softner, calcium, and the multi-vitamin.

My Kt/v is 2.66, so I am getting enough dialysis, or so have been told. My albumin is 5.1! I just dont know what can make a creatinine level so high!?? Is it going to get higher and higher until I drop dead? Does this mean if I ever get a transplant that my creatine level can automatically rise then too?

Thanks,
Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
karrye

If Life give you Limes, make lemonade instead.

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:07:36 AM »

WOW!  I know my  husbands' creatine lvls were through the roof a few months ago due to his progressive kidney failure and diabetes.  He was given a number of medications to lower it and it gradually did come down over the months and is still dropping.  Currently, he is at 4.3 and holding.  I really can't tell you why your level is so high, but it is concerns me greatly.  You are in my prayers and hoping against hope, that it could be a typo in the report?

Caregiver to husband:
Had surgery April 25, 2011 to bring fistula nearer to top of the skin.
Had staples removed from surgery on fistula May 3, 2011
Who started dialysis 1st week of December 2010.
Complete kidney failure November 30, 2010.
Surgery for 95% blockages in his right carotid and jugular February 22, 2011
Heart attack -- January 24, 2011
Chemotherapy -- September 2009 to April 2010
Colon Cancer -- April 2009
Colon removed --August 2009
Diagnosed with diabetes, Summer of 1996.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »

Are your docs concerned about it? I know a guy who's creat levels are 1500 (16.96 US) and it's not really a big deal and I was usually around the 1000 mark on hemo (11.31 US). I am not certain it is such a big deal. Your Kt/V sounds good for PD and everything else seems OK. As you noted, the creatanine level is usually pretty much ignored when you're on dialysis. What's more important is your clearance (or URR) to determine if you're getting rid of most of it. I am guessing the higher level will result in a lower eGFR reading, but again it's a pretty moot point since you're already at ESRD. I do know that exercise can also increase creatanine levels so if you're doing a bit of that it could have something to do with it. Some other meds can also artificially raise the levels - has anything changed lately that might cause this?

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 06:10:39 PM »

When hubby as doing in center dialysis his creatinine was always about 1100.  On nocturnal it is between 3 and 4 hundred when he goes on the machine and about 150 when he gets off.  Docs weren't concerned about it. 

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:16:57 PM »

Yup, it's nothing to worry about if you're on dialysis.

My creatinine is around 800 before a session, 350 after. Neph has never mentioned it. (That's 9 and 4 in US measurement)

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 05:39:24 PM »

I'm a walking textbook case my nephrologist told me. My creatine levels when admitted to hospital was 2400. I'm very lucky to be alive. I almost died. :(  I had the highest creatine levels he had ever seen in his career! :(

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »