I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 04:27:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  A newbies thoughts
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A newbies thoughts  (Read 2592 times)
Hopefulheir

« on: January 25, 2011, 06:45:37 AM »

I seem so down all the time not perky after treatments and then want to sleep in between.
Things seem to be piling up on me anymore. I can barely pay bills may have to go bankrupt as co-pays and Dr visits along with gas to and from dialysis are eating us alive.
My body constantly hurts and just yesterday I fell off the back porch hurting my left arm and leg (my right arm has a 5 day old fistula growing). What more can go wrong?
Coming here, I know I am not alone. May peace at the end of the day always be with you folks.

Imported From Detroit
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:36:37 AM »

Yeah, I know what you mean.  Some days you step in it and some days you walk around it.  You never know from one day to the next whether to make plans or not.  If I make plans, I wake up feeling lousy.  So I get sneaky and don't make plans, and all of a sudden (like today) I feel great, so I'm cutting up peppers and steak to make fajitas.  I guess what I'm saying is you just have to trick life!  Hang in there and remember we're always here for you!
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 07:38:17 AM »

Im sorry for your feelings these days.  I know we've been there and seem somehow to come back up.  Im wondering if your getting efficient treatments?  Hubby started out a ball of fire after treatments for the first 5-6 months.  When things started to change for him and he didnt feel so good, we started thinking about doing home D.  Partly for the fact that we didnt like the seperation, and partly because we were hoping for slower treatment.  Well, we now have been home for 9 treatments and he's feeling much better..................and im all worn out..lol  (not really on the 'me' part, just was kinda tough emotionaly for me to get through my fears)  So, mostly, i want to wish you well, and send some happy thoughts.  I have been reading Bible vs to help me through my tough times.. Seems to do the trick for me :)  Blessings to you

ps... while i was posting this, i saw 'peleroja's' post.... Loved it!!

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 02:42:50 PM »

Welcome to the wonderful rollercoaster ride that is dialysis ! Enjoy the good days (you will have them) Sleep through the bad days if thats what you feel you need to do.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 06:49:19 PM »

It IS a rollercoaster ride.  Take it easy on the days you need to. Look into the NKF funding if you need help with doctor copays or dialysis copays.  There may be help there.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 07:21:10 AM »

It IS a rollercoaster ride.  Take it easy on the days you need to. Look into the NKF funding if you need help with doctor copays or dialysis copays.  There may be help there.
Hopefulheir,

I empathize with what you're going thru.  Health insurance doesn't pay for everything, and kidney failure (like any other serious chronic illness) can be a major strain on the household budget.  In America, chronic illness is one of the most frequent causes of personal bankruptcies.

There is an entire section of IHD devoted to insurance issues.  Please check it out.

Dialysis as a rollercoaster ride?  Yes, but there are other analogies.

For my kidney transplant evaluation, I had to go for a psychiatric interview.  The psychiatrist who interviewed me, compared dealing with kidney failure to riding on a surfboard:  You are surfing the Wave of Life; and you have to constantly keep your balance, swaying this way and that, so as not to fall off.  If you do fall off, try to get back on the surfboard and surf some more.
Gandalf

"Character is Destiny" Heraclitus

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 08:09:51 PM »

My thoughts are so very much with you.  I think unless one has gone through it, no one can understand the enormous trauma of having to adjust ones life to the Big D, and all that it entails.  This forum is truly alive with a community of people who really do know and really do care.  As you can see from the posts, it has become a home to so many of us, both on the good days, and on the not-so-good ones.
 If its any assistance at all, one really does seem to get used to it (well, most of the time anyway!) and to create something of a normal life around it.  For me, the issue has been to not let renal failure become all that I am and do, and to find something beyond that.  have been been able to?  MM sometimes yes, and other times it is REALLY difficult. 
Please take care, and be kind to yourself
karrye

If Life give you Limes, make lemonade instead.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 07:28:16 AM »

My prayers are with you on this.  As we all are on this same rollercoaster, there is the good as well as the bad.  I know all to well the financial strain and it does takes it toll.  Just keep hanging in there and take it one second at a time.   

Caregiver to husband:
Had surgery April 25, 2011 to bring fistula nearer to top of the skin.
Had staples removed from surgery on fistula May 3, 2011
Who started dialysis 1st week of December 2010.
Complete kidney failure November 30, 2010.
Surgery for 95% blockages in his right carotid and jugular February 22, 2011
Heart attack -- January 24, 2011
Chemotherapy -- September 2009 to April 2010
Colon Cancer -- April 2009
Colon removed --August 2009
Diagnosed with diabetes, Summer of 1996.
Genlando

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 06:56:59 PM »

In addition to all the good advice that others have given so far, understand that it's going to take some time getting used to dialysis.  Also, you'll gradually start feeling better as your blood gets cleaner.  I don't think that anyone is ever going to say that they LOVE dialysis; however, it should get better before too long.

3/9/2010--Diagnosed with ESRD
3/24/2010--Fitted with catheter, and began hemodialysis
4/2010--First fistula attempt--clotted up and failed
6/2010--Second fistula attempt--didn't clot, but slow development
11/2010--3rd fistula surgery--fistula now developing
1/2011--fistula ready for H/D!
6/2011--Started using NxStage at home
8/2012--Switched to PD using Liberty Cycler
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »