I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:59:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Reversing 90% of early-stage kidney disease
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reversing 90% of early-stage kidney disease  (Read 7237 times)
DrMoskowitz

My goal is to make the world dialysis-free by 2015

« on: January 20, 2011, 08:09:17 AM »

I'm a nephrologist. In 2002, I published an article in a peer-reviewed journal showing how to prevent 90% of dilaysis--that due to type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure (1).

Unfortunately, the media wouldn't publicize the article without an endorsement from another nephrologist. I've been waiting...

But nobody in the kidney community wants to slit their financial throat (see http://tinyurl.com/healthcrime).

Could you help me get the word out?

1. http://www.genomed.com/pdf/diabetes.technology.therapeutics.pdf

David W. Moskowitz, MD, MA(Oxon.), FACP
Chairman, CEO & Chief Medical Officer
GenoMed, Inc.
"The public health company(TM)"

9666 Olive Blvd., Suite 310
St. Louis, MO 63132

Cell phone 314-378-7864
Office phone 314-983-9938
FAX 314-754-9772
email: dwmoskowitz@genomed.com
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:13:32 AM »

Says the file is damaged and cant be repaired.??

What kind of studies have you done?
Why will no Nephs help you?  Look for retired nephs who dont care about what may happen to there careers.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:17:40 AM »

I sent him a PM asking him to fix the file.

:waving;

Rerun, Moderator

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »

Didn't we hear all this before?
More spam.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
greg10

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 09:43:26 AM »

I'm a nephrologist. In 2002, I published an article in a peer-reviewed journal showing how to prevent 90% of dilaysis--that due to type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure (1).

Unfortunately, the media wouldn't publicize the article without an endorsement from another nephrologist. I've been waiting...

But nobody in the kidney community wants to slit their financial throat (see http://tinyurl.com/healthcrime).

Welcome to the forum, Dr. Moskowitz. 

The title of your paper which you cited here is 'From Pharmacogenomics  to  Improved  Patient Outcomes: Angiotensin I-Converting Enzyme  as  an Example' involving study of 800 COPD emphysema [chronic obstructive pulmonary  disease  (COPD)] patients using ACE inhibitors.  Are you suggesting here that 90% of ESRD caused by diabetes and hypertension could be similarily treated with ACE inhibitors?  If so, could you comment on more recent papers that suggest ACE inhibitors are ineffective, such as:
'ACE-inhibitor use does not appear to reduce the risk of end-stage renal disease in patients with diabetes and may actually increase the risk' http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/539008

Regarding the use of Ace inhibitors, the authors wrote that: "These data suggest that in the long term, these drugs may in fact cause what they are supposed to prevent? or what they prevent in the short term may increase the risk in the long term."
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:48:51 AM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:47:22 AM »

Greg, Zach is right. He's been here before, check his prior posts through his profile for his intro.

The only reply that I remember from him claimed that the dose of ACE inhibitors was too low, oh and I think he said Lisinopril does not work for some reason? (Odd. That would be the most common of the ACEs I should think.) I have read that high-dose ACE inhibitors can be really dangerous. My donor supposedly has pre-diabetes, so I was interested in researching this a little more and I seem to have found data similar to what Greg's dug up.

Dr. Moskowitz, I would be interested to hear your answers to Paul's questions, in your own words, not via links. If you seriously want help from people here, then you need to engage with us properly: answer questions, summarize your findings. I personally will not click links from people with whom I am not familiar.

Is your study FDA approved? Who is sponsoring?

I found this study on clinicaltrials.gov, where every study must be FDA approved. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00283686?term=ace+inhibitor+polycystic&rank=1
It is called HALT PKD and is investigating the effects of Lisinopril and Telmisartan (ACE and ARB) vs. ACE monotherapy.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:31:27 PM »

:rofl; I did a web search and found him. He's also suggesting ACE inhibitors to treat West Nile virus in horses.

"West Nile Trial For Horses: GenoMed's patent-pending approach, which uses a class of blood pressure pills to gently reduce excessive inflammation by a patient's own immune system, has achieved a 100% response rate so far among 12 patients with an intact immune system who came down with West Nile virus encephalitis. If GenoMed's approach continues to work in humans (which remains to be seen; 12 is still a small number), it should also work in horses and birds. Dr. Moskowitz stated; “Essentially there are no side effects. The dose used won’t lower a horse’s blood pressure at all, I should think. The only other side effect of an ARB, namely angioedema, is extremely rare, at least in humans. It occurs in about 1% of humans who use an ACE inhibitor, so in 100 out of 10,000 people who use an ACE inhibitor. Of these, it occurs in only 3 people who then get switched to an ARB. So 3 out of 10,000 is a pretty rare side effect. If your horse is in need of treatment for West Nile Virus your Veterinarian may contact Dr. Moskowitz at ..." (link removed)

Editing to add this, quoted from another message board in 2004:

"I did some snooping. Dr. Moskowitz IS selling something. He hopes to eventually market the use of ACE inhibitors for a profit. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but I have a few concerns. His site says:

'GenoMed invites physicians to join its Clinical Outcomes Improvement NetworkTM in order to bring the latest in genomics-based medicine to your patients. Of the $800 annual subscription fee paid by your patient to belong to GenoMed's COIPTM, the physician is paid $200 in exchange for managing the patient and updating GenoMed on the patient's clinical course. Thus, a physician with 1,000 hypertensive or diabetic patients in his/her panel could earn an extra $200,000 annually while delivering superior outpatient preventive care.'

Apparently, the "Clinical Outcomes Improvement Program" (a term that is actually trademarked) is not a formal clinical trial. Will the patients who purchase this membership first be informed that their own physicians are receiving a financial incentive for promoting the therapy? There is a conflict in such a patient/physician relationship that I doubt will be made transparent. Will the "clinical outcomes" be reported in an unbiased way?

Might he eventually promote this therapy for "post-lyme" symptoms to the exclusion of antibiotics? The last thing we need is a company with a financial interest in rejecting evidence of chronic lyme infection.

It turns out that ACE inhibitors and ARBs are separate classes of drugs that nonetheless achieve similar anti-inflammatory effects. I checked Dr. Moskowitz's patent applications and it appears that he claims a right to the use of ARBs only when combined with the ACE inhibitors. But the people at www.sarcinfo.com use the ARBs quite successfully without combining them with the ACE inhibitors. So why would anyone pay Dr. Moskowitz's licensees' for the privilege of using ACE or ACE+ARB when ARBs alone will work?

The mere discussion here of the possible use of ARBs for Lyme should constitute "public disclosure" and should therefore preclude any right to patent the use of ARBs for Lyme. I'm therefore uncomfortable with the prospect of a company with the incentive to marginalize the evidence that ARBs may be an effective surrogate for ACE inhibitors.

If you want info on this from people who in fact have no financial incentives, see www.sarcinfo.com They explain the rationale behind this approach in much greater depth than you will find at Dr. Moskowitz's web site."

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:49:47 PM by Deanne » Logged

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 02:49:18 PM »

Dr. Moskowitz, it is interesting what you write.
My problem is that once during a Lupus/SLE/MCTD flare-up
I was prescribed all sorts of anti-inflammatories and ACE-inhibitors
and I had an allergic reaction to all. (I suffer from drug-intolerance).
I am also hypertensive and only can tolerate
one particular type of anti-hypertensives.
I am still pre-dialysis with a kidney function of 10-12%
Is there anything else practical you could suggest
for me to keep my kidneys functioning longer
and/or to get them better again?

Thanks, Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 03:10:51 PM »

Dont feed the troll , one finds its way to the forum every now and again with a fantastic solution or cure.  ::)

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »