I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:22:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  epo shots
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: epo shots  (Read 29619 times)
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 07:56:04 PM »

You keep it cold to store it, not to use it...you have to keep it cold for transportation, etc, but when is time to use it, you can warm it up with your hands, so is not that shocking to your body...then you will not feel the liquid entering your body. They thought me that at the hospital.
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2007, 07:58:30 PM »

hum, I was told to keep it cold.
I haven't made any progress, btw.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 08:09:03 PM »

that is the same thing i was told as well,  that there is another problem these nurses, techs and doctors have, no one can be consistent, they all have different things to say, grrrrrrrrrrr  >:(

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2007, 08:11:57 PM »

well, it works for me...and I have been on it for 5 years or so.... :angel;
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2007, 02:28:21 AM »

that is the same thing i was told as well,  that there is another problem these nurses, techs and doctors have, no one can be consistent, they all have different things to say, grrrrrrrrrrr  >:(

Ok let me settle this once and for all.

Listen BOTH of you very carefully, YES you do need to refrigerate it for storage or transportation, however it is perfectly fine to "Warm" it up before using it. I was trained to "palm" the syringe to help warm it up. In fact even at my old center (Davita) they would take the Epogen out of the mini-refrigerator and prepare everyone's (in the shift) Epo at the same time and by the time they finished 20 minutes has passed, which was plenty of time for it to reach room temperature. In fact they would bring my Epogen and I wouldn't let them "push it" in the line until the last 20 minutes of treatment, so by then almost an hour has passed by the time I finally received it.

Another trick is to place the Epogen "Vial" in you pocket for a few minutes to warm it up.

The most important thing is to never "SHAKE" you vial and never use it if it appears "cloudy" and technically you should not store it for longer than 21 days in the refrigerator, however my home program allows me to store it for the entire month, since that is when I pick up my Epo, once a month.

Here is a link DIRECTLY from the Epogen website: http://www.epogen.com/pdf/epogen_ppi.pdf

Here is a Quote from bottom of PAGE 4:

Preparing the dose

1. Remove the vial of EPOGENŽfrom the refrigerator and allow it to reach room temperature. Do not leave the vial in direct sunlight. Each EPOGENŽvial is designed to be used only once, unless you are using a Multidose vial. Do not shake EPOGENŽ. Assemble the other supplies you will need for your injection (vial; syringe; alcohol antiseptic wipes and a container for disposing the needle).

Now if you use "Procrit", "Aranesp" the SAME rules apply.

So goofynina do you believe me or is this another incident of you NOT believing me when I told you that "Nuts" were higher in potassium, more higher in potassium then in phosphorus.  ::)

Yes, I will agree with goofynina that nurses, techs, and doctors, all have different things to say when it comes to procedures, that is why it's always good to do your own research, or just come here to get the "TRUTH". That is one of IHD's tag lines you know "A PLACE TO GET THE TRUTH"  ;)

- Epoman
Owner/Admin
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 03:25:18 PM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2007, 09:30:29 AM »

Now if you use "PROCRIT" the SAME rules apply.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

This also holds true those that may give themselves injections of Aranesp.

froggy

http://ihatedialysis.com/

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2007, 03:08:18 PM »

I had to get epo when I was 15 and still to this day can give myself a shot(now 27) thank goodness for my mom I too am a chicken. Now I get it through my lines. When I switch back to PD I will have to go back torelying on my mother.

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2007, 03:25:53 PM »

Now if you use "PROCRIT" the SAME rules apply.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

This also holds true those that may give themselves injections of Aranesp.

Thank you, I added it to my post.  :thumbup;

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »

what does epo do for you.why do you need it??

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2007, 04:26:04 PM »

You see goofinina?...a Jedi never lies... ::) By the way, Epo, Aranesp, etc. is used to boost the production of red cells.

EDITED: Fixed Icon Tag Error - Sluff, Moderator
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 05:05:14 PM by sluff » Logged
BigSteve

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2007, 07:25:32 PM »

Although it has taken six months the Aranesp has really helped my energy level.
I'm not like four years ago, but I definately can walk and exercise easier. Still waiting
to not be cold all the time however.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2007, 08:06:27 PM »

Still waiting to not be cold all the time however.
Good luck. It has been eight years for me last November  on dialysis and I am still damn cold all the time!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2007, 09:18:45 PM »

I'm glad to hear Froggy that I'm not the only chicken.
and Big Steve unless you're luckier than me you'll be waiting forever not to be cold again.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
hephziba

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2007, 06:51:24 AM »

Has anyone heard of Reco-pen, its a needle pen used for injecting epo, I have been asking for one for ages but the other day they listened and I now have a new toy. one cartridge of epogen should last a whole month. Ive not used it yet but I am due to tomorrow.

the reason I asked for it was because needles and syringes look far to medical for me, and it should be more discreet plus I love gadgets...
Heph

God who comforts the downhearted comforted me again by your visit.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2007, 07:46:06 PM »

Has anyone heard of Reco-pen, its a needle pen used for injecting epo, I have been asking for one for ages but the other day they listened and I now have a new toy. one cartridge of epogen should last a whole month. Ive not used it yet but I am due to tomorrow.

the reason I asked for it was because needles and syringes look far to medical for me, and it should be more discreet plus I love gadgets...
Heph

You best be sure i am putting a call into my PD nurse tomorrow!!! lol, i love toys and gadgets toooooo  ::)   (SHUT UP EPOMAN) :P :P

www.kidneyoogle.com
melshell

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2007, 08:05:35 PM »

Thanks for the info about using the insulin syringe!! (dummy me!!-insulin syringes are 1cc syringes, and I use the ultra fine with tiny tiny needles) I'm only taking 10,000 of epo, so the insulin syringe works grrrrrrrrrrreat!! Will look forward to epo shot this week with the smaller needle! (Well, I don't know about looking forward to it, but I'm sure relieved I won't have to use that syringge with the garden hose needle on it!! LOL!!) As for giving oneself a shot, I'd rather give than receive, but I just had to suck it up-4 shots a day of insulin, on top of the 4 finger sticks! OUCH!! My PD Nurse says epo is better absorbed in the arms??? Anyone else heard that? It's given subcutaneously, tops of the thighs, backs of the arms and 2in. radius of the umbilicus, just like insulin-but she says my neph. advises alternate arms...????

FSGS since 1991
ESRD 9/06
PD since 12/06

"...atleast I didn't wake up dead this morning..."

sqzagapeach@yahoo.com
myspace.com/mel8675309
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2007, 08:26:09 PM »

Thanks for the info about using the insulin syringe!! (dummy me!!-insulin syringes are 1cc syringes, and I use the ultra fine with tiny tiny needles) I'm only taking 10,000 of epo, so the insulin syringe works grrrrrrrrrrreat!! Will look forward to epo shot this week with the smaller needle! (Well, I don't know about looking forward to it, but I'm sure relieved I won't have to use that syringge with the garden hose needle on it!! LOL!!) As for giving oneself a shot, I'd rather give than receive, but I just had to suck it up-4 shots a day of insulin, on top of the 4 finger sticks! OUCH!! My PD Nurse says epo is better absorbed in the arms??? Anyone else heard that? It's given subcutaneously, tops of the thighs, backs of the arms and 2in. radius of the umbilicus, just like insulin-but she says my neph. advises alternate arms...????

Here we go again, lol,  my PD nurse said it is most effective in the fat of the stomach..  (and wonder what makes her think i have fat in my stomach)  ::)

www.kidneyoogle.com
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2007, 08:27:51 PM »

I should start giving my own too.

charee
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2007, 08:28:54 PM »

Here we go again, lol,  my PD nurse said it is most effective in the fat of the stomach..  (and wonder what makes her think i have fat in my stomach)  ::)
Thats what I have been told also.( stomach that is)

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
MJB

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2007, 09:04:19 PM »

My dose is 20,000.
sounds like a huge amount to me.

I hear you Ohio Buckeye. I am injecting 20,000u 5 times a week ever since my last transplant. I swear they screwed up my system. I never had to take this much in the past. As for the needles, I use the insulin needles and do not feel anything. I'm burning through those medicare dollars.

Mike

1994-1998 CCPD
1998-2002 Transplant
2002-2004 In-Center Hemo
2004-2006 Transplant
April 2006 NxStage System One
September 2006 NxStage PureFlow
MJB

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2007, 09:24:15 PM »

what does epo do for you.why do you need it??

boxman55,

Epogen is "Man-made form of the human hormone, erythropoietin. Used to treat anemia associated with chronic renal failure for patients on dialysis". It is the same as Procrit, however after some legal disputes, Amgen sells Epogen and Ortho sells Procrit. As far as I know medicare will only reimburse dialysis patients for Epogen. Procrit is usually used for patients with cancer and severe anemia.

As you may know anemia causes fatigue, exhaustion, and if bad enough difficulty breathing. It really sucks. I can attest to it.

You can tell from your monthly blood tests if you need it. See how your hemoglobin and hematocrit are compared to the norms.

Mike

1994-1998 CCPD
1998-2002 Transplant
2002-2004 In-Center Hemo
2004-2006 Transplant
April 2006 NxStage System One
September 2006 NxStage PureFlow
anja

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2007, 09:25:17 PM »

my PD nurse said not to give the Epo around my umbilicus, could make problems with the PD.
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2007, 10:28:18 PM »

Ohio Buckeye,

I was the worlds BIGGEST sooky la la when I was told I had to inject myself with Arenesp. I mean a real basket case!  :P I don't think it helps that by the time they decide to give it to you, your blood count is pretty low so you feel sluggish and not in control. But you can do this! Arensep is pre-filled in tiny syringes. I get it out of the fridge, warm it up in my palm for a few minutes, find a nice rolly part on my stomach, wipe and slowly stick it in. Once the skin is pierced you don't feel a thing. If slowly doesn't do it for you, do it fast! I do this with one eye on the T.V, to distract me and pretend I am in control. I just take a few deep breathes and get it over with.

:cuddle; You can do it too! Take small steps and you will be doing it yourself in no time.

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
hephziba

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2007, 07:35:04 AM »

Well today I used the reco-pen to inject my epo. I thought it was more fun, im sure the novalty will wear off eventually but at least I don't have a fridge full of needles and syringes.

the pen has a little clicky thing you use to set your injection amount

see link http://www.ypsomed.ch/cf/produkte_therapien/produkte/128.html
sorry its in french but at least you can hopefully see what I am talking about

Heph

God who comforts the downhearted comforted me again by your visit.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2007, 10:36:52 AM »

Well today I used the reco-pen to inject my epo. I thought it was more fun, im sure the novalty will wear off eventually but at least I don't have a fridge full of needles and syringes.

the pen has a little clicky thing you use to set your injection amount

see link http://www.ypsomed.ch/cf/produkte_therapien/produkte/128.html
sorry its in french but at least you can hopefully see what I am talking about

Heph
Here is the English link: http://www.ypsomed.ch/en/produkte_therapien/produkte/128.html

Does that feel less like a needle? I remember I was just like melshell where Iwas so afraid to give myself the subcutanious injections of Arenesp (and Eprex which is the Canadian version of Epogen) in my stomach when I was on PD and had to get a nurse to come to my home for the first year until she MADE me learn  :-\ lol! After awhile I learned it was not so bad! Epoman is right - the needle part is soooo small.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:41:00 AM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »