I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 08:25:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Short Daily Dialysis Can be Too Short
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Short Daily Dialysis Can be Too Short  (Read 7324 times)
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« on: January 05, 2011, 12:11:19 PM »

Short Daily Dialysis Can be Too Short
By Peter Laird, MD

The Frequent Hemodialysis Network Trial Group results published in November 2010 has focused many providers interest in short daily dialysis since the results of this randomized and controlled trial dramatically showed the benefits of short daily dialysis. The study endpoints of reduced LVH and improved physical-health composite score is a long awaited result from a randomized and controlled trial.  In addition, the long standing argument of how much dialysis and at what dose is best for patients stands on the side of the dozens of observational studies showing a benefit to more frequent and longer duration dialysis.  The gold standard of dialysis care is daily, nocturnal dialysis of 6-8 hours duration done at low blood flow and low ultrafiltration rates.

The NxStage System One portable home dialysis machine introduced a new wave of interest in home based therapies especially in the last five years.  Many now use the NxStage machine as short daily hemodialysis.  Combined with the ease of learning and using this system, patients are now free to dialyze in the comfort of their own home. However, many patients will be tempted to shorten their daily treatments to augment lifestyle changes and freedom.  Dr. Kjellstrand, et al published an important paper in September 2010 looking at the total weekly duration of dialysis and mortality. They found that sometimes, short daily dialysis can be too short:

Survival with short-daily hemodialysis: Association of time, site, and dose of dialysis

Short-daily hemodialysis can be too short. In this series of patients, every extra hour spent on dialysis was associated with better survival. This finding is in agreement with those of others analyzing thrice-weekly dialysis5–8 and interestingly is seen even in patients treated by long night hemodialysis, where the weekly dialysis hours are 2 to 4 times longer than in our patients on SDHD.12

Patients considering home hemodialysis should bear in mind that time on dialysis correlates directly to survival.  For those considering short daily dialysis, avoiding total dialysis times less than 15 hours each week should be in the forefront of discussions with your medical team.  When coupled with the information of the FHN showing more frequent dialysis benefits, the optimal approach is to maximize time and frequency of sessions individualized to patients schedules and lifestyles.  We are once again coming full circle back to Dr. Scribner's wisdom of the Hemodialysis Product where he correlated survival based on a simple calculation of frequency and time on dialysis back in 2002.

http://www.hemodoc.com/2011/01/short-daily-dialysis-can-be-too-short.html

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 01:54:28 PM »

Excellent point, Hemodoc!

Unfortunately, the folks at NxStage seem to be promoting 2.5 hours per treatment, five times a week.
Perhaps not such a good idea after all.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 02:10:24 PM »

Even though I did short daily myself I totally agree that longer ought to be the norm.  Had it not been for the fact that I had a transplant scheduled, I would have asked to go to nocturnal at home.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 03:22:23 PM »

My neph once told me i was the sort of person that would benefit more from 2 hours per day every day , than the normal 4 hours every other day. I often wonder does the benefit you get from hemo depend on the type you are , like the difference in transporters on pd ?

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 03:28:18 PM »

Excellent point, Hemodoc!

Unfortunately, the folks at NxStage seem to be promoting 2.5 hours per treatment, five times a week.
Perhaps not such a good idea after all.

8)

Agreed on all points.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 03:29:53 PM »

My neph once told me i was the sort of person that would benefit more from 2 hours per day every day , than the normal 4 hours every other day. I often wonder does the benefit you get from hemo depend on the type you are , like the difference in transporters on pd ?

Not sure what he would base that statement on since all patients will benefit from more frequent and longer duration dialysis.  Unfortunately, there is not enough attention paid to dialysis during most nephrology training programs.  On the other hand, the FHN was 2 hours, 6 times a week vs 4 hours 3 times a week, same amount of time on the machine, but outcomes were much better with higher frequency.  Both frequency and duration matters clinically.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 03:33:36 PM »

Not sure what he would base that statement on since all patients will benefit from more frequent and longer duration dialysis.  Unfortunately, there is not enough attention paid to dialysis during most nephrology training programs.  On the other hand, the FHN was 2 hours, 6 times a week vs 4 hours 3 times a week, same amount of time on the machine, but outcomes were much better with higher frequency.  Both frequency and duration matters clinically.

That's Scribner's hemodialysis product in action. The first hour of dialysis is the most efficient, it is when the solute concentrations are highest in the blood thus with a steeper gradiant more solutes cross the semipermeable membrane and into the dialysate.

HDP 3dx/week 4hr/dx = 9 x 4 = 36
HDP 6dx/week 2hr/dx = 36 x 2 = 72
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:35:17 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »

Some people just don't want to sit very long.  That is why nocturnal is good..... you have to sleep anyway, why not multi-taks.  But, some people I've talked to just are not interested.

Just like smoking is bad for you but some people still do it......  longer dialysis is better for you and some people are just not going to do it.

But they at least should be given the information to decide for themselves.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »

I don't wanna sit for very long, either.

BUT, I do want to be a healthy MooseMom, and if an extra hour a day will keep me much healthier, hell, I'm on the damn machine anyway (well, I will be at some point).

More people than ever are NOT smoking because they're enlightened.  More education for people on dialysis or with dialysis in their future might encourage them to make a healthier choice.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 05:36:48 PM »

Nocturnal is the gold standard of dialysis!!!  Hubby tried short daily for a while.  he went back to nocturnal because his phos and potassium was not so well controlled with short daily - he still had to take binders.  He also didn't like giving up a big part of his day for dialysis. At least when he hooks up night time he can sleep.  His labs are really good with the nocturnal

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 05:54:12 PM »

That's Scribner's hemodialysis product in action. The first hour of dialysis is the most efficient, it is when the solute concentrations are highest in the blood thus with a steeper gradiant more solutes cross the semipermeable membrane and into the dialysate.

That's true for most small weight solutes such as urea, but phosphorus as well as the larger middle weight solutes are time dependent.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 07:10:03 PM »

That's true for most small weight solutes such as urea, but phosphorus as well as the larger middle weight solutes are time dependent.

8)

True enough, and that is in many ways part of the point of the article in question as the basis of this post.  More frequent and longer duration is where it is at just as Dr. Scribner noted.  If anyone has not yet looked at his Hemodialysis Product paper, I did link to it in my post, but here is the link for IHD.

http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

greg10

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 08:08:16 PM »

8)

True enough, and that is in many ways part of the point of the article in question as the basis of this post.  More frequent and longer duration is where it is at just as Dr. Scribner noted.  If anyone has not yet looked at his Hemodialysis Product paper, I did link to it in my post, but here is the link for IHD.

http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Thank you all.  I was wondering what kind of new math you were doing  :banghead;
before reading the  Scribner paper again  :)

The Hemodialysis Product
Based on published evidence from many sources, we propose a new index of adequacy of hemodialysis, to be called the
Hemodialysis Product (HDP). This new index incorporates dialysis frequency, which is an important variable:

HDP = (hrs/dialysis session) x (sessions/wk)^2

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Zog

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 05:25:36 PM »

Does nocturnal dialysis result in shorter fistula life?  Things to worry about if you plan on doing this decades.

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 06:08:01 PM »

Nocturnal is the gold standard of dialysis!!!  Hubby tried short daily for a while.  he went back to nocturnal because his phos and potassium was not so well controlled with short daily - he still had to take binders.  He also didn't like giving up a big part of his day for dialysis. At least when he hooks up night time he can sleep.  His labs are really good with the nocturnal

I forget - is he doing 3 nights a week?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 06:44:23 PM »

Does nocturnal dialysis result in shorter fistula life?  Things to worry about if you plan on doing this decades.

Access issues are always one of the things to focus on with any discussion of more frequent dialysis.  In the FHN, there was an increased risk of vascular access events, but two things must be considered, first, it was incenter with mainly techs and nurses, not all self cannulating and second, they didn't report on the number of patients with buttonhole cannulation.

Many observational studies have looked a buttonholes and increased, daily use without any undo increased complications.  Self cannulation with buttonholes may help protect the fistula especially from aneurysms.  There is a trend to more frequent infections.

On an anecdotal level, I have had a functioning buttonhole on my arterial access site for 3.5 years without any access issues whatsoever.  I take great pains to adhere to very strict disinfection before cannulating the needles.  I suspect that some of the increased infections with buttonholes is technique related.  I only use sterile supplies, not just clean and all separately packaged.  I use sterile, disposable tweezers for each buttonhole and I don't use the same equipment on both sites at the same time to prevent cross contamination if it exists in one.

I take a shower just before hooking up, then when picking the scabs, I clean the whole area with alcohol and in between each hole.  When cannulating, I once again start with an alcohol swab, then I go to betadine since it doesn't cause any skin reactions and the other options do.  I use two swabs and let it dry completely using a circular motion from inner to outer without going back inside.  This is the technique I was taught in medical school surgery rotation for office procedures.  Then, I take 4 alcohol pads and remove the excess betadine in the involved area.  I was always taught that betadine is irritating to the tissues so I carefully remove it with alcohol swabs after it is completely dry.  Then I cannulate without any undue delay.

If I contaminate the area accidently, I start with one betadine swab and then back to the alcohol.

Betadine may not be ideal for you but it does work well to date for my needs.

Technique and careful attention to detail is what it takes in my opinion to make the buttonhole work.  Careful inspection of the buttonhole for any redness or puss would mandate that you consider another site with a sharp for that day until it resolves. I have only had to do that a couple of times in nearly 4 years.  Understanding the signs and symptoms of an early infection is key and you may wish to get instruction in this from your medical team.  As always, if you have any questions about this, call your team right away.  Having taken care of skin infections for years, I am already attuned to that issue.

There is much to learn, but once you have mastered the different aspects of self cannulation and buttonholes, the whole process is actually fairly simple, but you must be quite diligent and rigorous in infection control.  i hope that this is useful information to discuss with your own health care team.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

del
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 07:18:58 PM »

Hubby does 5 nights a week but rarely takes 2 nights in a row.  He had to last week because he had a night off and the next night we had a problem with the machine.  He usually does 3 nights, 1 off, 2 nights , 1 off then back to 3 nights.

Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 08:56:30 PM »

A more recent paper (Dec 2010) comparing 6X a week with 3X concluded Frequent hemodialysis, as compared with conventional hemodialysis, was associated with favorable... (mortality) ...results but prompted more frequent interventions related to vascular access. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1001593

I'm not sure what's meant by interventions related to vascular access but I suspect sloppy access cleaning, as suggested by Hemodoc, is a significant factor. I did find Hemodoc's description of his cleaning procedure to be very helpful..

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 09:39:12 PM »

Hubby does 5 nights a week but rarely takes 2 nights in a row.  He had to last week because he had a night off and the next night we had a problem with the machine.  He usually does 3 nights, 1 off, 2 nights , 1 off then back to 3 nights.

Thanks del. I know other patients do in-center nocturnal so its 3 days, but 6 hours, I think. How many hours does Walt do?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Desert Dancer

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 07:24:53 AM »

There is a trend to more frequent infections.

Thank you for sharing your technique, Hemodoc; I am always looking for ways to improve/tighten up my own technique. I would just like to add - if I may - that a face mask is also an absolute must for buttonholes. In my clinic, the nurses expressed a desire for their buttonhole patients to use face masks, but they did not require it and not everyone used them. I think there is a perception that face masks are only really necessary for catheters but this couldn't be further from the truth.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 12:02:53 PM »

There is a trend to more frequent infections.

Thank you for sharing your technique, Hemodoc; I am always looking for ways to improve/tighten up my own technique. I would just like to add - if I may - that a face mask is also an absolute must for buttonholes. In my clinic, the nurses expressed a desire for their buttonhole patients to use face masks, but they did not require it and not everyone used them. I think there is a perception that face masks are only really necessary for catheters but this couldn't be further from the truth.

Sorry, yes you are right.  I always use a face mask as does my wife when we hook up.  In addition, I leave my pressure dressing on for two hours and then when I take that off, I remove my spent bandaide and place a clean one after cleaning up the excess betadine with a couple of alcohol pads.  We also use plenty of alcohol hand gel during our hookup as well.  I believe it is a confluence of factors that help over come a real infection risk.  I would never go so far to state you can prevent 100% of all infections, but I think we can do a lot better than the current state of affairs.  After all, we are accessing the vascular compartment directly, hemodialysis is an invasive procedure, well tolerated and as far as invasive procedures go when done with care and thoughfulness quite safe, nevertheless, we should never lose sight of the fact that we are in a sense invading the vascular compartment and things can go wrong quite readily without a great deal of care and attention to details.  Following a preset check list helps avoid many of the alarms folks get into and other complications.  In this case, practice makes perfect, or as perfect as us people can be that is. 

Slow down, take your time and do things right.  If you notice you contaminate something along the way, discard that item and start with a fresh and clean one. I dropped the red line just when we were getting ready to hook up on the final step, I had no choice, I started the whole setup all over again.  You just can't take undo risks with this treatment.  I suspect some folks just over look a "minor" contamination and then pay for it later.  Remember, the first place the blood goes from your arm is directly through the heart where the heart valves are very susceptible to infection.  A heart valve infection is potentially life threatening very quickly.  So, just be careful out there and realize these complications although quite real, are fortunately, quite rare when proper infection control techniques are utilized every dialysis session.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

del
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »

Walt does 7 hours a night.

Thanks del. I know other patients do in-center nocturnal so its 3 days, but 6 hours, I think. How many hours does Walt do?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »