I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:08:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Dental Clearance
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dental Clearance  (Read 5095 times)
Sax-O-Trix

« on: January 02, 2011, 04:26:58 PM »

What exactly are they looking for in the dental clearance?  Cavities, gum disease, abscesses, cracked/worn down teeth?  "Infection" is a pretty broad term when it comes to dental work, lol.  Is a cavity cause for not passing the DC?  I have one and am dreading getting it repaired...   Should I just go to the dental clinic at the Hospital where I hope to be TX?   I am so afraid that my local dentist has done very few clearances for transplants and I don't want to have unnecessary work done or delays because of it.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 04:55:04 PM by Sax-O-Trix » Logged

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 04:52:10 PM »

If you have a hidden infection and get your tx and they take away your immune system the infection will take off.  So, just go get the cavity fixed and maybe get looked at by a second dentist to be sure.  Otherwise I think they now give you some sort of mouth pill after transplant.

After transplantion you will always need to get premedicated with an antibiotic before any dental work.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 04:54:49 PM »

My understanding is that they are looking for active infections that may explode if you begin taking immunosuppressants.  No, a cavity won't make you ineligible.  I used to go to the hygienist every six months, but I had not been in (gulp) seven years.  So when I did finally go as required, I was a bit nervous.  I had generalized gingivitis which is to be expected if you've not been to the dentist in so long, so they did a full set of x-rays and a good clean.  I bought one of those electric toothbrushes and used it religiously.  I went back to the dentist two weeks later for a follow up, and my teeth were brilliant!  But the report sent to the transplant team just stated that I had gingivitis that they expected to be completely reversed.  I'm now on the list with a winning smile! :2thumbsup;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 07:42:47 PM »

Depends on your center.  The dental checkup for mine consisted of me saying "AAAAAAAA" for a minute while they looked in my mouth with a flashlight.  I went to the dentist on my own, but didn't have any problems anyhow, so maybe that's why.

After transplantion you will always need to get premedicated with an antibiotic before any dental work.

My center just stopped that requirement, now.  For general cleanings, they have decided you don't need pre-antibiotics.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 06:42:21 PM »

Okay...  I pretended to be an adult this morning and called my dentist who I only see if I have a problem.   I have a front tooth that I have wanted to get crowned for over three years now, but the pain from the needles in my mouth and the $1,100 price tage have kept me at bay.  But, I figured I should get this done now, before the hopeful transplant next month.

I was in the office at 3:30pm, had the work done and then decided to get a cleaning (hadn't had one in 3.5 years.)  The hygenist (who was not aware that I am hoping for a transplant next month) told me that I "have great gums".  Thank you, Lord...  Perhaps I will be able to sleep tonight knowing I am not in for any painful dental treatments in order to get clearance.  :pray;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 07:14:16 PM »

Yay you!  Now, don't you feel better?? :2thumbsup;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »

I actually do feel better 8)  One less thing amongst a hundred things to worry about...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »