I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:37:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  updates for your enjoyment..
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: updates for your enjoyment..  (Read 1903 times)
takamore

« on: January 05, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »

xmas update:

here is my xmas update...

hello m'friends and family!!

as you can guess, it is the very best christmas i could ever have had!
it has been a long seven year journey, that has been hard on me, hard on those close to me, and trying at best for those who knew there would be light at the end of the tunnel.
thanks to an angel of a sister, patti, and a mother who raised us to believe that's what families do, and a partner who never waivered in her caring and love, and lastly friends who could see the good possible in me through all this time, i have a new kidney and a fresh chance at life... words fail me very badly right now..

so. i'll just let you know that i am doing well. learning to take good care of my self (i am surrounded by teachers, hehe), follow the doctors' orders, watching my exposure to infectious agents, and not rushing the healing.. by now, i am feeling the prednisone more as it accumulates,tho it's mostly shakes, increased appetite, and difficulty relaxing.. the mind farts arent bad at all this time around, and im managing well.. if the effects when i first got sick are compared to what i feel now, let's say its like 10 then, 3 now... and as the creatin goes down so will the dosage.. otherwise the other indicators like dietary components, sugar levels, bloodpressure, etc are coming along well..

for me this holiday is about looking ahead and thinking of what might come.. ive looked back too long.. so if i dont send cards, make merry xmas calls, etc, i hope you will forgive me just this once.. i get overwhelmed easy these days..

please have a wonderful christmas!!  fill it with family and friends!!

and for me, pray for those among and around us who are waiting for new organs, give thanks to those that have the love and courage to donate!!

love
paul

and now
new years update:

it's my first new newyears and something is terribly amiss!! my life is crumbling around me (at least the life i knew),, i spent many years honing my ability to not be responsible. i have been sick for the last 7 years (and it was simply the best excuse for any situation)

but no more!! what am i to do?

aside from the "taking responsibility for my own actions" silliness, what is happening to me is much more basic, much more visceral..

it started with little doses of practicality related to creating a cleaner apartment and cleaner living habits necessitated by my recent kidney transplant.. (and i thought it would be all roses, little did i know..)
but then it grew from there..

new extending adjusting showerhead (cause i cant sit in standing bath water anymore)..
new shower curtains (colour-matched even)
new comforter and clean sheets (making the bed even nicer, more comfortable, and all-around more inviting)
new glass cutting board (for more germ-free food handling etc)
finally learning to do recycling right..
washing dishes as i use them (no more last-weeks still in sink)
daily walks and continued cleanups and organizing stuff (formerly known as 'shit')
and it goes on...

oh the horror!!!!!!!!!!

I AM BEING DOMESTICATED!!!
and at my age even.. this will lead to no good im sure.

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S ONE AND ALL !!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:11:54 PM by takamore » Logged
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 06:41:32 PM »

LOL! I am being domesticated too!!! I can totally relate to all of that. I've been doing little things like that too to keep cleaner and minimise the infection chances, so I am also cooking more for myself so I am sure stuff is cooked through properly and I know what is in it. People who know me will gasp as I am a horror in the kitchen, but even I managed a stir fry chicken the other night that wasn't half bad! :) Washing like mad, having antibacterial stuff all over (and using it!)... putting on the suncreeen and hats etc.\

I am so glad your transplant is going well and you're learning and following all this new stuff to do the best by your special gift!!  :yahoo; :2thumbsup;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 04:27:26 AM »

:flower;  I'm so glad that you two are FINALLY being domesticated.  Hell of a route to have to get there but I hope you'll enjoy the pleasures of clean and esthetically pleasing...not to mention home cooking and all the joys of feeling more healthy.   :flower;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 06:54:23 AM »

Wonderful post!  I pary you have a long new life.

:pray;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 09:36:40 AM »

:beer1; Congrats!
 added you to the list! http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=4927.0
 :thumbup;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »

it's my first new newyears and something is terribly amiss!! my life is crumbling around me (at least the life i knew),, i spent many years honing my ability to not be responsible. i have been sick for the last 7 years (and it was simply the best excuse for any situation)

but no more!! what am i to do?

Yes, I can also completely relate. I actually worried about this - what if I am not so much sick as just really, really lazy and then when the sick excuse gets taken away, where will I be?

I cannot say I have changed my cleaning habits much, but I have started working (low-key job, but it's a start) and taking on much more of my share of the responsibilities at home and with the kids. I was not sick as long as you, but I am still thoroughly enjoying the change in my energy and, remarkably, I love the fact that no one thinks twice about expecting me to pitch in and do my part. :yahoo;

Congratulations on your transplant.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »