I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:18:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Allergic reaction to adhesives
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Allergic reaction to adhesives  (Read 10474 times)
Stoday
Elite Member

« on: December 29, 2010, 02:18:55 PM »

I have an A/V fistula; after a session I used to have plasters to protect the needle holes for a few hours. I started to get a bit of inflamation so instead of plasters I got pads and sticky tape to hold them (avoiding direct contact with the inflamed areas). Last Monday during dialysis my fistula area was itching. About a couple of hours after I got home I took the pads off becauyse my arm was itching so. I then saw that my arm was inflamed and covered in little blisters. Even under where the wings of the needles laid. Later, the blisters burst and discharged fluid over my arm. After a day the area got covered in scabs.

Arrived for dialysis tonight but the nurses wouldn't put me on. They telephoned my nephrologist and I'm to see him tomorrow morning to sort out what's to be done. I have a session booked for tomorrow afternoon.

Here's a picture of what my fistula looks like now. Has anyone seen this sort of thing before? Any suggestions?

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 02:38:59 PM »

Yeah... about six months ago my unit got this cheap and nasty tape in and a LOT of us had allergic reactions to it and it was horrible. So they switched us to the much more expensive hypafix, until the boss relented and got rid of the cheap stuff and got back the original tape we had been using (micropore? something like that). See if they can get you a different kind of tape to use? It's not fun I understand!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 11:36:11 AM »

Not yet sure if it's the tape.

My neph suspects the scrubber that they clean the area around your fistula before cannulating. I thought it was just a mix of alcohol and water, but I was wrong. It includes another organic chemical (I've forgotten its name). So this afternoon I was cleaned with saline only.

Anyway, thanks for your comment RichardMEL.

Started hemo July 2010
greg10

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 11:41:22 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloroxylenol
Chloroxylenol, could be nasty stuff  for some, very common in antibacterial soap.  You probably got sensitized to it some time back.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 05:30:05 PM »

is that strep.... fleshing eating strep......   looks bad....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
noahvale
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 08:45:23 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:42:56 AM by noahvale » Logged
cloud393

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 09:47:41 PM »

My center uses Chloraprep swabs to clean the site before needling and it made me itch and break out like crazy.  After that, they used Betadine swabs.  Now that I do home hemo, I use ExCept on sterile swabs.  Good luck to you. 

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 03:59:28 PM »

It's the ChloraPrep swab, which contains Chlorhexidine Gluconate and isopropyl alcohol. Seems to be affecting me much the same as Cloud393.

I'm now being swabbed down with saline, which I don't think is very satisfactory so I shall ask about Betadine/providine.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and experiences.

Started hemo July 2010
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 09:02:38 PM »

Stoday, I can't see how an alcohol swab could possibly adversely effect an old Rummy like yourself.

Galvo
greg10

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 12:02:56 PM »

It's the ChloraPrep swab, which contains Chlorhexidine Gluconate and isopropyl alcohol. Seems to be affecting me much the same as Cloud393.

I'm now being swabbed down with saline, which I don't think is very satisfactory so I shall ask about Betadine/providine.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and experiences.
You should use what Cloud393 uses, that is ExSept-plus which is 0.114% sodium hypochlorite in saline.  You can make your own ExSept in a pinch if you can't get some, it is just 1:50 dilution of 6% sodium hypochlorite (common bleach) with saline.  The home made ExSept will not be as chemically stable so you shouldn't make too much of it at one time (250 ml should be fine for many weeks).

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 03:42:53 PM »

I would be concerned about using just saline also. How's the arm looking?

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »

Looking better now although still inflamed.

When cannulating me the nurse has avoided the inflamed areas by sticking the arterial needle down near the anastomosis and the venal near the crook of my arm. "Don't bend your arm" she says!

Started hemo July 2010
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 09:11:35 PM »

When my unit started using Chlorhexidine, most of us had some form of sensitivity to it.  For me, it was a burning itch, and redness.  What was weird for me was that they were able to use it on my line when doing dressings, but when they started using it on my fistula, I just couldn't handle it.

They went back to using betadine swabs on me.  It takes longer to dry, which is why they wanted to use the Chlorhexidine

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »