I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:30:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  First 8 hour run at night
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First 8 hour run at night  (Read 7159 times)
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« on: October 22, 2006, 06:38:53 PM »

Hola!
Finally I did it!!...last night I went to bed attached to the needles....8 hour run. I kind of slept, not much as I was way to aware of the tubbing, needles, worry that it would bleed....hmmmm.
But...I made it. 8 hours straight. Tonight I'll give it another shot. My only problem is that all day today I been feeling uneasy, upset stomach and have the blues. I don't know if is related to the "semi-sleep" or just normal symptoms for after dialysis.

And...having my left arm fingers numb most of the day didn't help....did I hurt my hand's nerves?....who knows....

EDITED:  Moved thread to proper section - Goofynina/Moderator
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 11:34:07 AM by goofynina » Logged
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 06:59:59 PM »

Hope it goes well for you tonight and you sleep better.
Hope you are feeling better by now.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 07:45:27 PM »

Possibly "Steal Syndrome"?  The longer dialysis is diverting blood flow for a longer period of time?

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 07:51:29 PM »

Hola!
Finally I did it!!...last night I went to bed attached to the needles....8 hour run. I kind of slept, not much as I was way to aware of the tubbing, needles, worry that it would bleed....hmmmm.
But...I made it. 8 hours straight. Tonight I'll give it another shot. My only problem is that all day today I been feeling uneasy, upset stomach and have the blues. I don't know if is related to the "semi-sleep" or just normal symptoms for after dialysis.

And...having my left arm fingers numb most of the day didn't help....did I hurt my hand's nerves?....who knows....

So you did this treatment in your HOME right?

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?board=25.0 = Dialysis: Home Dialysis

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 08:46:41 PM »

Yes, at home. I have been dialyzing for 3 months on 4 hours runs during the day. There was a point were I felt that all I did was waking up, going to work, do dialysis and back to sleep...not fun. This is my second attempt, as per the first one my site bleed and was a disaster!.
As I said, I'll do it again tonight...if I manage to do it 10 days in a row at night...I'll be the King of the World!!!
Thanks for the post referral, Epoman.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 03:06:36 AM »

If I ever get back up to Spokane I will be doing Nocturnal in center.  I think I go there 3 nights a week and just sleep there.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 07:04:10 PM by Rerun » Logged

jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 01:53:44 PM »

UPDATE:
Couldn't do it Monday because I felt sick all day (stomach and very tired)...probably my body adjusting to the new dialysis. Yesterday nigh did it again....8 hours during "sleep"...kind of sleep as you are so aware of it....but I managed. I'll try again tonight (4th night).
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 04:41:29 PM »

Dont give up Jedi,  i am sure with time it will become easier and easier,  :2thumbsup;   Keep us posted, K,,,  YOU CAN DO THIS... :thumbup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bear

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 08:46:18 PM »

Goodonya, Jedi'!     - I'm up to 6months+ on nocturnal now. Doing it on a recliner in bedroom#3, with all my boxes, plus desk, t.v.(+cable) etc. I usually get on around 21:00; off 06:300. I watch t.v. until about teno r half past. So I get a pretty good sleep now - about 6 hours before I get alarms for low dialysate - but it took a few months. :2thumbsup;
 So persevere. I hope it goes well..... :beer1;
 My 3 days in the master bedroom are like a real luxury now!  :wine;

waves...Bear
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 01:48:45 PM »

FAILURE. Sorry to inform you all that last night it was an absolute disaster. I went to sleep with the machine running...but got lots of anxiety and at mid run, 2 am, I decided to turn on the lights and look at my needles...when checking the bleeding started in one of them. I stopped the treatment, felt hopeless and frustrated. To end up the disaster...I cried and cried...I couldn't make it.
Today I feel like not doing it again. I can't sleep because I'm worried about the needles in my arm, so next day I'm all sick and tired. Then I'll do it again just to add more sleep deprivation and feel more tired again.

Would I be able to conquer this one day?.....I feel really bad today. I couldn't reach my goal. :-[
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 02:01:45 PM »

FAILURE. Sorry to inform you all that last night it was an absolute disaster. I went to sleep with the machine running...but got lots of anxiety and at mid run, 2 am, I decided to turn on the lights and look at my needles...when checking the bleeding started in one of them. I stopped the treatment, felt hopeless and frustrated. To end up the disaster...I cried and cried...I couldn't make it.
Today I feel like not doing it again. I can't sleep because I'm worried about the needles in my arm, so next day I'm all sick and tired. Then I'll do it again just to add more sleep deprivation and feel more tired again.

Would I be able to conquer this one day?.....I feel really bad today. I couldn't reach my goal. :-[

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.  I know you can do it though!  You'll be a pro at this in no time.  I can understand the anxiety so let yourself feel it.........it's healthy to cry and get it all out.  But keep trying and trying and I know you'll be okay.   :2thumbsup;

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
mallory

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 02:36:33 PM »

Jedi, I'm so sorry.  Hang in there.  I don't know anything about home hemo, but I believe you can do it.  It'll be one of those things that at first seems really hard and then in a few days, it will be alright.

We're all thinking about you, you can do it, try to get some rest, that will help!

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 04:01:18 PM »

Wow, I can't imagine doing that without having
someone to help and be supportive til you get
the kinks worked out. Is there anyone you know
that could hang around?

~Karol

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 06:45:19 PM »

I'm sorry you're having a rough time.
I'm not on hemo but maybe someone here on nocturnal will
have some suggestions.  Don't be so hard on yourself. 
These big changes and adjustments take time and learning and
improve with experience and time.  I know you're discouraged but
it's gonna happen.  Maybe set smaller goals so it is not so overwhelming.
Thinking of you.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 06:53:32 PM »

Try setting your alarm every two hours.  That way you know you will wake up to check on things.  Everytime things are OK then you will gain confidence.

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 12:31:06 AM »

Hola!

So you did this treatment in your HOME right?

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?board=25.0 = Dialysis: Home Dialysis

MODS? Please move this thread, I've been waiting for one of you to move it - Epoman, Owner/Admin

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Panda_9

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 04:56:10 AM »

It can be very hard to adjust to nocturnal. Ive been doing it for almost 12 months and I still dont sleep well. Ive started on a light sedative which helps me sleep and eases the anxiety, as I was getting it pretty bad.
Why did you have a bleed do you know? We here have 2 leakage alarms in place in case of bleeding. One detects if you have bleeding at the needle sites, and the other sits under the dialyser. Do you have these alarms? It is part of the program that we must wear these alarms, as you may not know there is a leakage until its too late. One patient I know of didnt bother putting the leakage detector on one night, and there was a slow bleed at the needle site. It wasnt until he woke up to wet sheets in a big pool of blood. He was VERY VERY lucky he woke up in time. He almost got kicked off nocturnal for this.
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 10:32:10 PM »

What is MODS?....did I do something wrong? ???
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 11:26:38 PM »

Mods is short for moderators.  Epoman was just waiting for one of them to move your post to the section that it fits in best.  He likes the topics well organized so that it's are easy for people to find info on a particular subject.

(It's showing up in the Home dialysis section on my computer right now.  That seems right to me, but I don't know where you first posted it.)

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 01:06:35 AM »

Mods is short for moderators.  Epoman was just waiting for one of them to move your post to the section that it fits in best.  He likes the topics well organized so that it's are easy for people to find info on a particular subject.

(It's showing up in the Home dialysis section on my computer right now.  That seems right to me, but I don't know where you first posted it.)

Very nice and very accurate explanation. Thanks jbeany :thumbup;

Jedimaster: You originally posted this in General Discussion, but since you are doing your treatment at home, your post is better suited for the "Home Dialysis" section. As jbeany stated, I like to keep this site as organized as possible, so when members or guests come here looking for help or answers they can get that information in a well organized site in a quick manner. Don't worry, in the future just think of what section your new thread should go.  :thumbup;
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 01:14:40 AM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2006, 03:46:23 AM »

Just noticed this thread and since I've been on nocturnal for nearly two years I thought I would reply with some advice

What I have been given to stop the worry for the bleeding is a product called dri sleeper.com (www.DRI-Sleeper.com)

It's a sensor for bed wetters, and you just put the sensor near your site and Voila! No Worries! (Sensor Below)

Also there is a technique of taping your needles in that make them a bit more secure for nocturnal patients, I'll take a pic tomorrow night when i get on.............

As for sleeping, I'm now on sleeping tablets on the night of dialysis, I just couldn't function without them I was living off hardly any sleep, and since I don't alarm anymore (It's now always the machines fault not mine LOL)no probs.

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2006, 10:23:38 AM »

I have the wet sensor and I do tape my needles so they won't come out...I think my main problem is anxiety...the doc told me to wait until next year to try again...the stress was killing me. Now...sleeping pills might be a good idea. I'll ask. :thx;
mallory

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2007, 10:43:01 AM »

Hey, Jedi, have you tried it again?  I hope everything is going okay.  I started my PD cycler at night on the 26th, and it is quite the experience.  I take two Excedrin PM pills to sleep, and that doesn't always help.  I may have to ask for sleeping pills as well.  I think it probably is the anxiety, at least that's what it is for me.  I hope you're doing better, I'll be thinking of you!  :grouphug;

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2007, 07:56:49 PM »

Thanks!...no, I haven't been able to do it at night just yet. The doctor suggested to wait until 2007 to lower my anxiety. They might give me something to sleep...otherwise no way Jose... :-\
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 03:56:44 PM »

[Sorry to hear you have been having so much trouble.  it must be very hard to do this on your own.  We use the same type of bed wetting sensors.  We had to put 2x2 underneath them because swet would set them off.  Hubby is still quite anxious sometimes.  It can't be fun having the 2 needles in your arm.  We have had over 50 traetments at home now and things are gettting much easier.  Don't feel bad it may be different when you try again. :thumbup;

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »