I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 09:22:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Historic kidney swap gives Vt. teen his life back
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Historic kidney swap gives Vt. teen his life back  (Read 1540 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 23, 2010, 11:15:56 PM »

Historic kidney swap gives Vt. teen his life back

>> follow link below to view video

Charlotte, Vermont - December 23, 2010

Just days before Christmas and the Smith family is looking forward to having everyone home for the holiday instead of in the hospital.

"We've had to modify things a few times," mom Nancy said. "Samuel spent Christmas in the hospital one year and Esther had things going on where she was in the hospital last year."

So this Christmas will be particularly special-- and not because of material gifts. In their eyes, there's no gift greater than the three they've already received. You see, half of this brood of six kids-- four of them home on this morning-- was born with a rare recessive kidney disease called familial juvenile nephronophthisis. It was diagnosed in the children just three years ago, all three within a few months of each other.

"The type of kidney disease that my children have is very rare," Nancy explained. "Statistically about one in a million chance of having this and I have three children with it, so that was just mind boggling."

Life as they knew it changed rapidly. First it was Samuel, their only boy, at age 15. Next it was Kate who was diagnosed at age 20, and Esther who was 11 years old when doctors discovered she too had the disease. They all needed a new kidney to survive and after months, even years of dialysis and countless hospital visits, they got them. But it was the last transplant-- just last month-- that proved miraculous. Samuel had had a failed transplant back in 2007 and the introduction of foreign bodies and blood transfusions proved detrimental.

"So he developed antibodies and because what they called 'highly sensitized'-- so he was incompatible with 99.9 percent of the world, so just a tiny percentage of the population would even match with him," Nancy said.

Finding him a kidney proved nearly impossible. All this year, Samuel-- now 17-- was suffering.

"It was really awful having to go in three times a week for hours and hours," Samuel said. "I would feel absolutely awful afterward."

Desperate to find a kidney, the family signed up with the National Kidney Registry; a national group that organizes something relatively new called paired donation. In order to receive a kidney from a live donor you must have a family member or friend willing to give their kidney to someone else in need. It creates a chain and the hope is that these paired donations will help shrink the waiting list by making more organs available. There are thousands of people on the waiting list nationwide. Over 6,000 die every year.

So one day this fall, the phone rang at the Smith home. It was their transplant coordinator.

"She said you know that phone call that we never thought we would get. I think we got it!" Nancy said.

Finally, and miraculously, there was a match for Samuel-- and he, his sister Hannah, who was donating to someone else on his behalf, would become part of the largest kidney swap under one roof in history: 16 pairs, 32 transplants in three days at the Texas Transplant Center in San Antonio.

"The transplant surgeon in Texas said to us after the transplant that for most people waiting for a transplant is like waiting for a train. If you miss this one they'll be another, but in Samuel's case it was more like a comet and you may not see another one in your life time," Nancy said.

"It was really amazing to be a part of that," Samuel said. "So many people who stepped forward to give kidney, a kidney to someone else who they didn't know so that a loved one of theirs could get one. It was really awesome."

That's what Hannah did for him.

"I think it was just because I saw him going through all of this and he really needed one," Hannah said. "He needed it."

It's often called the gift of life, and when this family sees their son and brother smiling again, eating, enjoying life, they know it's true. They've got him back now; back home with a life of anti-rejection drugs, but no dialysis, no hospital stays for now, no more pain. And that's a priceless gift no matter what time of year.

"We absolutely have gotten the best Christmas gift that we could hope for," Nancy said.

For more information on organ donation or the National Kidney Registry which facilitates those paired donations:

National Kidney Registry -  www.kidneyregistry.org

Vermont's Online Donor Registry - www.donatelifevt.org

Fletcher Allen Donor Hotline - 877-467-5102

Bridget Barry Caswell - WCAX News

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=13735705

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 11:21:06 PM »

32 transplants in 3 days!  That's unbelievable! :clap;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 12:50:01 PM »

I have  a friend who is 26   who wants to donate to me  but he is  AB blood type....and I am O......  My transplant people say that they dont do swaps.....  Do I go somewhere else......  ??

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »

I have  a friend who is 26   who wants to donate to me  but he is  AB blood type....and I am O......  My transplant people say that they dont do swaps.....  Do I go somewhere else......  ??

tyefly - I am currently working on getting listed at the University of Washington in Seattle.  We have 3 transplant hospitals in Seattle, and I believe all of them do swaps.  I know for sure that the UW and Swedish does.  The third one is Virginia Mason, and I am pretty sure they do them, too.  Have you been up here before?  Can you ask your transplant team about this?

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »