I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:41:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dialysis Facility Reports - how does your unit stack up?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis Facility Reports - how does your unit stack up?  (Read 58737 times)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 09:22:24 PM »

huh, betcha every one of us gets marked down with an anxiety disorder at least - because who isn't anxious starting D?!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

The Lady

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »

Or maybe an ESL thing - perhaps a large percentage who didn't know what a neph was?

There is a question on a form that is filled out on the day of your first treatment ... check it out
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/images/Other/G-CMS-2728U3-1.pdf

Well, I suppose there was - it was 5 years ago and the center is now 5 hours away!  I don't remember them doing more than shoving a stack of papers at me while I was nervous and half scared out of my wits.  (Thanks to being on here, I did have enough clarity to refuse to let them put epo through my lines so I could stay in control of it and get my usual injections, though.)  Still, if other centers are even less inclined to help patients fill out paperwork, maybe my ESL theory is part of it.

ESL in Bath Maine;)  Looks to me the issue is that there is no Nephrologist in Bath Maine. I don't think I have ever seen this discussed but I think I would move if I lived somewhere without a resident nephrology practice. Even if there was a dialysis center (which Bath obviously has).

The form is filled out by staff and physicians. Payment increases with comorbidities. I've always thought if every dialyzor checked their own 2728 many people would be surprised to learn they had a drinking or drug problem.

I live in Brunswick, Maine, near the Bath border and dialyze at the Bath facility.

There are no lack of nephrologists in this area. Large practices exist in both Portland and Lewiston with Nephs having satellite offices all over the state. Mine is from Lewiston and she has an office in nearby Topsham about 5 miles away. A member of the practice comes to the unit once a week to check up on us.

I was stage 4 ESRF before I knew I had kidney disease and began seeing a nephrologist.
The Lady

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2011, 04:02:03 PM »

Oh...lol. This is why it seems odd to me...

Bill, you confused my facility with JBeany's.

Bath's percentage of people who saw a Neph was 40%....her facility is the one in Meadows East, Louisville, Ky.  ;)
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »

Oh...lol. This is why it seems odd to me...

Bill, you confused my facility with JBeany's.

Bath's percentage of people who saw a Neph was 40%....her facility is the one in Meadows East, Louisville, Ky.  ;)

Oh, I was totally confused.

It would be interesting to know what was behind the 86% number in Louisville and their fistula number. Actually the DaVita Lousiville DFR would be an interesting DFR to dig into because their indicators seem to be pointing in different directions.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
dialysisadvocate

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2011, 05:11:56 PM »

I continue to receive calls from patients and their loved ones. If you have had a negative outcome as the result of a dialysis technician not implementing the correct practice, you can file a complaint with the state (California) and an investigation will be conducted. For specific incidents, where you might have ended up in the hospital, or had a negative outcome, injury/harm, there can be an investigation. These technicians are now certified and I wonder if they know, just as the RN, that if they are responsible for a negative outcome as the result of a preventable error an investigation can be conducted. These individuals, as RNs and LVN/LPNs, are licensed and technicians are now certified. If they are not certified they are suppose to be working under the supervision of someone who is.......................
Roberta Mikles
www.qualitysafepatientcare.com

Roberta Mikles BA RN - www.qualitysafepatientcare.com
Dialysis Patient Safety Advocate
Cricket

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2011, 11:26:12 AM »

I'm new to this website, and new to dialysis (2 months).  I have very real and serious questions/concerns about my center.  On the surface, it appears "OK", but upon talking to some patients - I am shocked at their reports, opinions, and experiences.
Don't know what to think, who to speak to, etc.???!!!!  Where oh where do I start?
dialysisadvocate

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2011, 06:45:23 PM »

Cricket -- what are the problems that you are hearing from other patients? Have you experienced similar? Have you observed such?

If you, yourself, are experiencing problems you can ask for a care conference/treatment team/care planning meeting (some units call it different). As a new patient, you should meet with your entire team (nurse, doctor, dietician, social worker) and discuss your individualized treatment plan. You can bring up your concerns at this time. You can also be educated as to what staff wiill do regarding your treatment.

You can also speak with your nephrologist. However, I will give you a head's up as there are nephrologist out there who will not support the patient and support the staff. In fact, when my father was alive, he experienced major retaliation from some staff and the physician never really cared. It was always determined that we were wrong for some reason, never taking into account that there were staff who acted inappropriately .. Can you imagine a technician telling patients and family members that (this tech) needed to take anger management classes? HELLO.. Or staff deliberately ignoring a patient who needed help,... well, there are units where this takes place.. but, there are also good units.

There used to be a great manual for technicians that was available for anyone. A great teaching tool.  I think you can still get it.
http://www.kidneyschool.org/ 

Above opinions of Roberta Mikles
www.qualitysafepatientcare.com

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2011, 08:10:51 PM »

I'm new to this website, and new to dialysis (2 months).  I have very real and serious questions/concerns about my center.  On the surface, it appears "OK", but upon talking to some patients - I am shocked at their reports, opinions, and experiences.
Don't know what to think, who to speak to, etc. ??? !!!!  Where oh where do I start?

What are your concerns?

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
dialysisadvocate

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2011, 10:30:27 AM »

Absolutely,,, please share with us your concerns.
Roberta

ladyhawk526

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2012, 06:54:40 AM »

I was reading all these statistics and see that Sempticemia is on the list.  Is this a fairly common occurance for dialysis pts?  I have had that but I got it when I received a transplant.  Almost killed me but I have never heard of anyone getting it while on dialysis. :waiting;
dialysisadvocate

« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2012, 08:41:23 PM »

An updated 'tracker' has been completed by ProPublica -- www.propublica.org/dialysis
This will give you details on your facility -- this is the data that CMS was protecting prior to the original ProPublica article

To View California Inspection Reports --- www.qualitysafepatientcare.com
Having a problem with delivery of care in your unit -- call 1-800-847-8842 Healthcare Dialysis Coalition - NON INDUSTRY CONNECTED - helping patients receive quality, safe care ................

Roberta Mikles BA RN

Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2012, 08:48:58 AM »

I like my dialysis center.   They do a good job, for the most part, but there's this one nurse who's really weird.  At the end of four hours on the machine he started taunting and teasing me.  As an ex-Infantry soldier I had to restrain myself from clobbering the clown.  I did lose my temper, and call him a rear end (well, the other word that starts with an "A").   The rest of the staff is usually very friendly with me, but they've been giving me the cold shoulder.  I don't really care, since I'm doing my last hemo treatment today, but I've decided to report him to the head nurse.  If it happens again, tonight, I'll write a letter to the appropriate person on the complaint ladder.  I wish I could just deck the guy.  I hate being an adult sometimes.
MightyMike

Why do bad things always happen to good people?

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »

Wow really what was he teasing you about if you don't mind me asking?  I would report him anyway because that is neither appropriate nor professional especially in there line of work.  I would be damned if some tech was teasing me I would take my needles and stab him right in the neck.

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
   -Walter Bagehot
==========================
December 2003 diagnosed with IgA Nephropathy 80% Function.
October 2004 started In-Center Hemo Dialysis Perma-Cath 5% Function.
September 2005 Living Related Donor (Mother) Transplant.
March 2009 Diagnosed CKD and IgA Nephropathy.
August 2009 Upper Left Arm Fistula.
November 2009 started In-Center Hemo Dialysis.
December 2010 started Home Hemo Dialysis.
January 2012 went back to In-Center Hemo Dialysis.
jerseyjezebel

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2013, 08:30:51 PM »

My dialysis center doesn't stack up too well against others in my area.  I don't know if I should change or what...my nephrologist told me that he wanted me to go to another center from the beginning but the one I go to is just a few blocks from my house.  Of course, I go to dialysis by medical transport so it really doesn't matter where it is.
Krisna

« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2013, 12:19:39 AM »

Thanks for posting this Bill.  I'm glad SeaTac looks pretty good as do the others I sometimes run back up at.  I am lucky to have never had an infection in my access.  I'll have to check out the ones I sometimes go to in Spokane later!

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
JaeCie

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2014, 10:50:44 AM »

I recommed dialysispatients.org and usrds.org
noahvale
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2014, 12:02:18 PM »

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:18:42 AM by noahvale » Logged
JaeCie

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2014, 12:17:15 PM »

No
noahvale
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2014, 12:23:27 PM »

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:18:18 AM by noahvale » Logged
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »

huh, betcha every one of us gets marked down with an anxiety disorder at least - because who isn't anxious starting D?!
DSM-V has categorized many aspects of normal life as a "disorder".   Your dog died and your depressed?   It's actually a "disorder" now.  Ditto for worry and anxiety.   I suspect i't because diagnosis==$$
JaeCie

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2014, 06:44:47 PM »

Hi Noahvale,

Thanks for the information although I don't understand what it has to do with anything. If you're interested in getting information on a disease you go to as many places as you can to do your due dilligence. This is another option for doing that. I provide information to dialysis patients at no charge to them, and am happy to include information on diabetes and hypertension and cardiovascular issues that I get free of charge from dialysispatients.org. My dialysis provider was DaVita and I have no issues with them.

JaeCie
noahvale
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2014, 08:20:10 PM »

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:17:33 AM by noahvale » Logged
JaeCie

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2014, 06:37:47 PM »

Thanks Noahvale, considering we all have a foot and a half in the grave, it's great to be able to have these conversations and it's totally awesome to have choices. Continued best wishes to you on this journey.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »