I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 01:29:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Starting IVIG with hopes to lower my 97% antibodies
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Starting IVIG with hopes to lower my 97% antibodies  (Read 7039 times)
phyl1215

« on: December 21, 2010, 05:48:47 PM »

I will start this thread here, please move if not in the proper place.

I had my colonoscopy today, Dec. 21 to stay the the transplant list.

Tomorrow at Christ Hospital I will do a Rituxan IV (6 hrs.) to reduce  the antibodies the B cells are making.

Next week I start the IVIG (at home, up to an 8 hr IV each time) one time a month for up to six months.  My daughter has been tested and passed as a donor for me and is a perfect match except for my one high antibody.  They did say I could do this treatment without a donor to get me higher up on the list.  It is not guaranteed to work on everyone and with my PRA so high it would probably take 2 or 3 times to see some results.  This is the same protocol that is  used at Ceders in CA but new at Christ Hospital in Ohio. 

I will update this thread monthly and will try to answer any questions or try to ask my team for you.   Phyl

Edited: Moved to Transplant Section - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:28:22 PM by okarol » Logged

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.
Deceased donor PERFECT MATCH Kidney transplant July 8, 2012

Learning To Dance In The Rain
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:27:33 PM »

I hope all goes well and you get your PRA lower.
Three members that I can think of had similar treatments. Tamara and Jill D got living donor kidneys and Vandie got one from a deceased donor.
 :2thumbsup; Good luck!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
phyl1215

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »

Thanks for putting this in the proper spot.  Nice to hear it has worked for others here.  I did great today with the Rituxan IV and should start IVIG on schedule next Tues.

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:06:02 PM »

Good luck with the infusions.  I did both last year.  My PRA was 100% and unfortunatly, it didn't change mine.  But, miracles still happen and I got a new kidney Sept. 1st.    I hope miracles are happening in your life and your number will go down and you get a transplant.   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
phyl1215

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 05:01:54 AM »

Yes, I saw you got your kidney and was so happy for you.  Sorry the IVIG didn't work, I'm hoping at least it will lower mine so I can get higher on the list but as you said miriacles do happen.  :pray;

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 07:40:25 AM »

I do think the infusions were worth trying and would do it again.  Anything that can help us get our bodies be in a better place to accept a new kidney is worth doing.   Personally, I think it made my body be more prepared and ready for the kidney, even thought it didn't lower the #'s.       The IVIG made me run a fever and the Rituxin wore me out, but nothing you can't handle.   Good luck, I am hoping you get fantastic results.  One member here went from 98% to 3%!!!  That's is what I hope happens to you!!   Keep us posted.   :2thumbsup;    :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
phyl1215

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 02:00:17 PM »

Had my first IVIG treatment at home yesterday to try and lower my antibodies.   It took from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. due to a rough start as my PD night dialysis removed a lot of fluid and my blood was "thick" so RN tried twice to get blood then two more times in the other arm to get the IV in and then had to call another nurse to come and do both.....  anyway once it got going after 11 a.m. the first of seven bottles went in so slow (the company forgot to send a pump )it took over 2 hrs for the first bottle to empty then the other went in about 55 mins. each.  Which is what timing they wanted.  So hopefully all the kinks are out and the pump is on it's way to my house for the next month.  I will have blood work done on the 11th and so will my daughter and we will see if anything at all happened this first session.  My antibodies are so high they say I probably won't seen any results until after the 2nd time.  I had the Rituxian last week and it went fine, took about 5 hrs. at the hospital.  I have a bit of a headache (not bad at all) today and seem a bit jittery and I think that is from the steriod they gave me before the infusion, they premedicate with tylenol, benidryl and low dose steriod.  But all in all after being jabbed 5 times I am relieved it is over as I didn't know what to expect and the next one the end of Jan. should be a piece of cake! 

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.

phyl1215

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 03:05:46 PM »

Last night I got the chills real bad and then headache got stronger and I am runniing a slight fever.  I feel better this evening, I hope this won't happen every month but if it does I can handle it and if it works it will be worth it.

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 03:55:11 PM »

I'm really glad you are updating us; I don't know much about this procedure and am learning a lot from you, so thanks!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 07:41:35 PM »

Phyl1215,  I ran a fever with each IVIG infusion.  It started at night after treatment and lasted a few days.  But, I kept thinking, if that is all that happens, it will be worth it.    My temp would get as high as 103, but I slept through those days.    :rofl;    Anything is worth trying and I am crossing fingers this is just what your body needs.    :2thumbsup;   

phyl1215

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 11:43:25 AM »

I am feeling much better today, temp only got to 100.5, it was the headache that was the worst.  I was told I could get flu like symptoms and it could last up to 3 days but thankfully it only lasted about 24 hrs.  Everything seems to be in normal ranges again and I have some energy back.  Looks like it will be a quiet New Years Eve staying home....but that's OK.    :beer1;  HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 06:37:56 PM »

Glad the fever is better and you have some energy.   I'm celebrating New Years Eve home alone -- and appreciating all the things the doctors can do to help us.  You are on the top of my list of prayers!  I'm thinking this is going to be a great experience with wonderful  results.   :2thumbsup;

phyl1215

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »

Thank you Paris.....you are on the top of my list too.....It will be a good 2011.

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.

rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 09:50:22 PM »

thanks for the updates!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 09:28:41 PM »

Wow.. this sounds similar to Plasmapheresis. Is it the same thing?

Mike had an incompatible transplant, so he had to have 4 sessions of plasmapheresis, which were AWFUL, but they managed to lower his very high antibody count to an acceptable level just in time to have the transplant!

I wish you the best of luck!!  :2thumbsup;

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
phyl1215

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 10:22:20 AM »

Thank you Lady Noir.  No it is not the same as plasmapheresis, I had that last fall and didn't help at all and it was hard on me too.  The IVIG puts antibodies from 100's of donors into my system and hopefully tell my body that I have enough antibodies and for me to quit making them.  Sounds simple but that is what they believe this does.  It doesn't work on everyone....maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones this time.

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »

My doctor doesn't want to do anything like this until there's a donor to compare to.. He told me that he doesn't know a whole lot about it but he's going to research it and talk to some of the other doctors to see what they say

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
phyl1215

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 07:20:39 AM »

Well, of course, the first IVIG treatment didn't work and I will have the second one tomorrow, at least they are doing this at my home.  Specific numbers are not known yet so we don't kown if it worked at all or percentages if it did, I should know that this week.  As you know everything seems to be a waiting game. :stressed;  So here's to hoping, wishing and praying this next treatment works. :2thumbsup;  My hospital just started doing this program and I am like the 3rd one doing it Riki, by all means have your Dr. find out about it, it does work and many.

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.

rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 04:39:23 PM »

sending positive vibes  all goes well!!

xo,
R

My doctor doesn't want to do anything like this until there's a donor to compare to.. He told me that he doesn't know a whole lot about it but he's going to research it and talk to some of the other doctors to see what they say

riki we must be living in a parallel universe my doc told me to "stay level headed" while he researched it...still haven't heard.

1995 - AV Fistula placed
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
phyl1215

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 07:18:12 AM »

Had the second treatment this past Tuesday and it took 14 HOURS!!!!  We are not sure why it was soooooo slow but they didn't send a pump and maybe it was a small vein....at least I don't feel bad this this time just a tiny bit of a headache.  I was told that I will need the thrid IVIG treatment as not much change in my numbers the first time (this was expected).  So hopefully I will stay feeling well today and find out the results in 3 wks or so. 

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 12:05:57 AM »

I hope you get good results!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
phyl1215

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 01:47:12 PM »

Everything has changed now.  The transplant team has stopped my high dose IVIG treatments because after 2 X's hardly any drop in antibodies.  They want to do a more aggressive approach doing low dose of IVIG one day, plasmapheres (spelling? blood cleaning) the next for up to 2 wks!!!  I have to have a heart catheritization this coming Tues. and if that is OK we will meet with my transplant team to go over the pros and cons of doing this treatment as it is a semi commitment for me to have a transplant which would have to be done within 5 days if the antibodies drop. 

It does scare me to have the heart procedure because of the dye they use, which is what caused part of my kidney problem in the first place but they are giving me something to help protect the kidneys and Neph is asking them not use use as much dye.  I still have about 12% function while doing PD and want to keep it for as long as I can until a transplant. 

So I am a bit overwhelmed now and will just take this one step at a time....if I get approved Tues. by the heart Dr. then on to the big meeting March 1 to decide if I want to do this and when this would all take place. 

Wish me luck!

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 03:41:27 PM »

I do wish you much luck.  I'll be keeping you in my prayers as you go through the catheritization and through the treatments.  We're all hoping this ends in a successful transplant   :2thumbsup;

rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 06:20:11 PM »

here's wishing you luck!! keep on fighting   :boxing;

xo,
R

1995 - AV Fistula placed
phyl1215

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »

All transplant treatments have been put on hold for 6 months now.  I had the cardiac cath on Tues. and they found 3 main arteries blocked, one was 99%, next 90% and 75%.  What a shock, even my Dr. didin't expect to find anything....nothing showed uip on my stress test and I didn't have any symptoms, now that is scary.  Dr. put 3 stents in on Thurs. so no heart bypass, thank goodness.  I got out of the hospital Friday afternoon and very happy to be home.  They protected my kidneys as best they could as I still have about 12 % function left and on Friday the numbers stayed the same.  So I have a lot to be grateful for but I am a bit disappointed that we didn't get the go ahead to start the treatment program to lower antibodies and go to transplant.  At least I don't have to even think about that for 6 mths. now and hopefully was saved from a major heart attack.

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »