I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 09:50:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Dec. 16: Dr. Phil: Family has not stepped up to donate a kidney
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dec. 16: Dr. Phil: Family has not stepped up to donate a kidney  (Read 3766 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 16, 2010, 11:54:33 PM »

I missed todays show but maybe it will be shown again.

Tough Choices

Dr. Phil speaks with families facing touch choices this holiday season. Darrell needs a kidney, but his family has yet to get tested to see if they’re a match. And, Natalie Cole shares her harrowing journey with kidney failure.

Feeling Abandoned

I’ve been a diabetic for over 20 years,” Darrell says.

“His kidneys were getting progressively worse for a long, long time,” says Darrell’s wife, Barbara.

“My kidneys have shut down, and I need a kidney transplant,” Darrell says.

“My husband has three brothers and three sisters, and no one has stepped up to donate a kidney,” Barbara says. “I don’t understand it at all, because if it were my sibling, I would step up and do whatever it took.”

“My family doesn’t really know what I’m going through with the dialysis,” Darrell says. He opens his shirt and shows his chest. “This is my catheter, where I have access for my dialysis. It goes up into my heart. They haven’t been around to see me go through the four hours a day with the treatment. They haven’t seen the needles. They haven’t seen the surgeries. If they were sick, they would expect me to step forward. This makes me very disappointed. I thought I was close with my family, but this makes me realize we’re not as close as I thought.”

“He could die tomorrow, and they don’t understand that,” Barbara says, growing tearful. “I’m really upset because he’s so strong, he deserves better from his family.”

http://www.drphil.com/slideshows/slideshow/6116/?id=6116&showID=1567

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Brightsky69

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:42:36 AM »

I can understand this...totally. Only my one brother got tested and he wasn't a match. Also I had one cousin get tested and she didn't match. I had many other "family" members say they were gonna get tested but never did. They only said they would get tested so they would look "good" in the eyes of fellow family members... and get more money out of them. For example..."Yeah I am gonna get tested for Joanna...can I borrow $5000 dollars now????"  My boyfriend didn't even get tested for me...and he is the same blood type as me.
I've come to realize that it take a seriously special person to be a living donor....a true angel. And there are just not many earthbound angles out there.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:26:54 PM »

My boyfriend didn't even get tested for me...and he is the same blood type as me.
I've come to realize that it take a seriously special person to be a living donor....a true angel. And there are just not many earthbound angles out there.

Bsky I agree with you about the earthbound angles are few and far between. I was just wondering are you still with this particular boy who didn't choose to get tested? Just wandering how that affected your relationship. My boy is being placed in the donor exchanged program and I often wonder if he chose not to if I would be so hurt that it would ruin our relationship....guess if we ever broke up and I had to start dating again my first question would  be to a potential new beau "Before this gets serious...what blood type are you?"  :rofl;

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Brightsky69

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:57:58 PM »

It did hurt me at first...my Bf not getting tested. But then when I really started to think about it. I put myself in the other persons shoes. And it's not an easy thing to do...period. I mean my mom had no problem with donating to me because she saw it as nothing different then taking care of me as any mother would do.....no big deal to her.
But for someone who is healthy and has NEVER faced any kind of medical situation before. It has to be a scary thing to them no matter what. When you need a kidney you think Hey...just give me one..whats the deal? Donating is just a hard thing to do...period. And it takes a special person.
My BF did what he could to take care of me......what he was capable of doing.  When I was on dialysis for 2 years (PD) he took care of my drain bags each morning so i wouldn't have to do it. When i was sick as a dog and pucking in garbage cans at the dialysis center he never left my side. He would wash my hair for me when i couldn't get into the shower. He would rush me to the ER at 2am when I had the stomach flu.....even when i didn't want to go to the ER. He would carry all my dialysis supplies whenever.....up 2 flights of stairs...no complaints. Most guys wouldn't even stick around to deal with a girlfriend who was on dialysis. Even today after my 2nd transplant he always makes sure I take my medication..drinking like I should and eating right. It's almost annoying. :rofl; I am like dude...This is my 2nd transplant I know what I am doing.
I use to think...where is my night in shining armor who is going to save me from all this and give me a kidney?? Thats a fairy tale.
If you can find someone who is wiling to do that for you...that is wonderful. My mom was that one person for me. Her donation to me lasted 17 years. I received my 2nd kidney from a deceased donor and no matter where this kidney came from i am grateful for it.

Now what really got under my skin and to me is unforgivable are the couple of people who made a big deal about getting tested for me only to use that to get some extra cash out of mom and dad. My BF sister said she would get tested then used that to get an extra $10,000 out of her parents...never to be paid back and my BF cousin did the same thing and got $12,000 from her aunt and uncle...never to be paid back. My cousin and brother never did anything like that. To use someone who needs a kidney to get some cash for your self...what kind of person is that???

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 05:11:22 PM »

I think at first I too would be disappointed but then reevaluate all the great things my boy does for me too. Your guy sounds like a keeper! It is wonderful to have a significant other who is willing to stand by you no matter how rough the road may get. Thank you for sharing!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 07:02:59 PM »

I didnt see the show either but there was a flyer at our center that said ...Watch the dr phil show to se our very own ................ I forgot the name, but one of the people on there was from my center.... we're famous???  lol

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
plugger

I only look like a sheep - but I ain't

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 05:23:51 AM »

It always pains me to read about friends and family members reluctant to step up.  It has been ten years since I gave a kidney to my daughter and I'm still not seeing any effects from losing "lefty" - as I'm fond of saying, might as well lost a toenail!  What was going to kill me was watching my daughter on dialysis - she wasn't taking well to it.

Anyway, I'll remind people of a famous study about kidney transplants:
"In another study, Narkun-Burgess et al. assessed 56 World War II veterans who had lost a kidney because of trauma during the war (follow-up, 45years) and compared them to other World War II veterans of the same age (19). Mortality was not increased in those who had lost a kidney."
http://www.hods.org/pdf/content/Long-Term%20%2820-37%29%20Years%29%20Follow-up%20of%20Living%20Kidney%20Donors.pdf

Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed, renewed in 2012 and 2019

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

On my tombstone: He was a good kind of crazy

www.dialysisethics2.org
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »